E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > VCG replacement causing severe secondary oil leak

10-10-2015, 02:38 AM   #1
brosidelong
M3 Haha
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

Garage List
VCG replacement causing severe secondary oil leak

So, I replaced the entire valve cover + gasket this weekend - no more oil leaking out. (or so I thought). After starting it up again, it is now leaking oil from a completely different location and is bad enough that the car isn't even drive-able. I've taken a look and it appears to be coming from the rear turbo oil feed - should I replace the line(s) entirely or is there a gasket that I can just replace on it's own?

Last edited by brosidelong; 10-11-2015 at 12:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 06:53 AM   #2
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Back to the drawing board. Make sure your torque on each bolt is right and that you followed the suggested pattern in the Bentley repair manual for tightening such bolts.

It's possible that some of the gasket moved when you put the cover on and now it's being pinched or not in the right place, which is causing the leaks. Double check the part no. You ordered vs the part number you need on BMW fans/ parts.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 02:12 PM   #3
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer
Back to the drawing board. Make sure your torque on each bolt is right and that you followed the suggested pattern in the Bentley repair manual for tightening such bolts.

It's possible that some of the gasket moved when you put the cover on and now it's being pinched or not in the right place, which is causing the leaks. Double check the part no. You ordered vs the part number you need on BMW fans/ parts.
Agree. Don't forget about the work you accomplished. After you start up the engine and it has heated up. Let it cool and retorque.
Keep us updated as you troubleshoot the issues. Cheers!
      10-10-2015, 04:59 PM   #4
brosidelong
M3 Haha
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post

I don't think it's leaking out of the valve cover. I've been all around the cover with a rag and a flashlight while the engine is running and it's as dry as a bone.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 06:34 PM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Just thinking out loud, it could be leaking on the inside only by the spark plugs into the combustion chamber. That's the main issue with the VCG leaking.

It's on the list for me as it's leaking into cyl 3 for me. Retorque the bolts first just to be sure. As far as oil lines, I'm not sure on that, sorry.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 08:25 PM   #6
brosidelong
M3 Haha
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Just thinking out loud, it could be leaking on the inside only by the spark plugs into the combustion chamber. That's the main issue with the VCG leaking.

It's on the list for me as it's leaking into cyl 3 for me. Retorque the bolts first just to be sure. As far as oil lines, I'm not sure on that, sorry.
Thanks Jeff - the oil leak i'm talking about is pouring out onto the c@t and leaking onto the ground, profusely. Will probably just give the oil lines a shot.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 09:55 AM   #7
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brosidelong View Post
Thanks Jeff - the oil leak i'm talking about is pouring out onto the c@t and leaking onto the ground, profusely. Will probably just give the oil lines a shot.
OH ok. That would be different for sure.

Let us know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 10:32 AM   #8
Stroker1
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335 cp dci, ***dp's, jb4

Had similar leak. In my case valve cover leaking onto heat shield under boost solenoids. Oil follows shield to aft end of tray and drips onto dp. Idling and observing, no indication. Drive, shut down and watch, drip appeared. Bentley manual calls for glycerin used on gasket prior to installation to allow gasket to "settle" into vc :hannel when tightening to prevent misalignment of gasket. Just my situation yours might not be same.
Appreciate 0