F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > xDrive All-Wheel Drive Discussions > xDrive or not? anyone test side by side?
GetBMWParts

10-08-2015, 03:35 PM   #1
kolosy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: over potholes

xDrive or not? anyone test side by side?

I'm torn on whether I want to go xDrive on my 340i order. I've got plenty of years driving rwd cars in Chicago winter with winter tires on, but I do like the simplicity of an AWD car + all seasons instead. Less hassle winter time, less expense (no need for an extra $1500 set of wheels/tires), etc.

All that said, I care about the driving characteristics of the car the most. Has anyone driven them side by side? Assuming msport 6sp for both, are there noticeable performance penalties on the xDrive? There typically are through higher drivetrain loss and added weight...

I think I have an M3 problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 03:52 PM   #2
cardsdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolosy View Post
I'm torn on whether I want to go xDrive on my 340i order. I've got plenty of years driving rwd cars in Chicago winter with winter tires on, but I do like the simplicity of an AWD car + all seasons instead. Less hassle winter time, less expense (no need for an extra $1500 set of wheels/tires), etc.

All that said, I care about the driving characteristics of the car the most. Has anyone driven them side by side? Assuming msport 6sp for both, are there noticeable performance penalties on the xDrive? There typically are through higher drivetrain loss and added weight...
You will not get a consensus on this one - just lots of strong opinions on xdrive vs rear wheel drive. What most agree on, and backed up even by a recent consumer reports review, is that tires are much more important than rwd/fwd/awd in regards to traction. In Chicago with cold temps and a good amount of snow you really should put winter tires on regardless of whether you choose xdrive or RWD. I've chosen xDrive here in Cleveland for more security going up hills and for getting going from a standstill (the major advantage of xdrive) but still put winter tires on. Others prefer the feel of RWD even in snowy locations and in that case winter tires are a must.
      10-08-2015, 04:01 PM   #3
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

All seasons in Chicago? Better park it in the garage until April.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 04:33 PM   #4
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
He'll be ok with all seasons and xdrive. Your city and mine get more heavy, noreaster snow storms than his. I've been fine with my set up.

Just watch your stopping distances which are diminished with all seasons, OP.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 04:41 PM   #5
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsch View Post
He'll be ok with all seasons and xdrive. Your city and mine get more heavy, noreaster snow storms than his. I've been fine with my set up.

If you live in the city, it won't matter. You'll be stuck in traffic anyways.

If you drive a lot of highway miles to and from work, then you'll want winter tires regardless of drivetrain configuration.

I drive 30-40 miles to work each way on highways. My 335i RWD with Michelin X-Ice Xi3 studless winter tires far outperforms my Subaru Legacy GT AWD with Continental DWS tires in slush, snow, and/or ice. It's not even close.

Like the above posters have said, it's all about the tires. Drivetrain is secondary to that. AWD won't save you if you don't have enough mechanical traction to work with.

With that being said, there aren't as many performance penalties with the current generation of xDrive. There are just not that many performance advantages for the xDrive either since it's not anything special; it's not the active torque vectoring awd system found on the Audi S4. My concern with the xDrive was never the performance itself. It was the aftermarket support and long term reliability. I believe it is servo/motor actuated in terms of how it biases power. It seems pretty complex for something that doesn't have much benefit over a tried and true Torsen setup, and we all know that the more complex a system is the greater the chance of failure.

Last edited by Polo08816; 10-08-2015 at 04:48 PM..
Appreciate 2
      10-08-2015, 05:30 PM   #6
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:

Less expensive??? $2,000 extra for xDrive. I'd much rather have my RWD dynamics for the majority of the year when the weather is good and have the function of purpose designed winter tires when needed.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

10-08-2015, 05:34 PM   #7
Gabreigns
Major
Rep
Drives: F3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn
All seasons in Chicago work just fine.
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2015, 06:06 PM   #8
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 335i GT M-Sport

Quote:

Dude, you're getting an amazing car, don't ruin it. Listen to these ppl on here. Go with RWD, with WINTERS from Nov 15- March 31st. You'll get 3 winters with your winters, lol. And with RWD on SUMMERS, this is every mans dream ( well a lot of people) but you catch my drift. One season of winters, 3 seasons of summers, wow that sounds wonderful to my ears...
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 06:24 PM   #9
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

Quote:

Nice that the yanks have a choice of xdrive on the 340i

4wd v RWD it's down to preference and use.

If you are after a driver's car that sits 15mm lower and has a smooth straight six with great feedback and feel, I suggest choosing the RWD. With a set of winters, traction (not grip) will only be a problem on steep hills or deep snow.

For me wanting to tow, requiring good traction in the English sunshine (rain) and bad winters while having good handling with some RWD characteristics, xdrive is the answer. It sits 15mm higher but that's easily solved with ACS springs.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 06:24 PM   #10
bmwauug
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC

I have an xdrive with a 19" summer tire set-up and 18" all season "winter" set-up.

I went wit the all seasons given they were brand new (purchased the car in July, swapped to summer set-up just after taking delivery, so figured I'd be good with the brand new A/S in the winter).

The traction (starting, turning, etc.) in the inclement Chicago weather was horrible. I ran a winter set-up in my e90 and it was bullet proof. Bottom line, don't count on the A/S tires. RWD or AWD you will still want to invest in a winter set-up.
      10-08-2015, 06:37 PM   #11
kolosy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

alright, alright, rwd it is.

anyone know if "mixed" refers to staggered wheels or just tread pattern? still need to pick wheels..

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 06:54 PM   #12
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

anyone know if "mixed" refers to staggered wheels or just tread pattern? still need to pick wheels..
Good decision!

Mixed = staggered

What dealer are you using?

10-08-2015, 07:07 PM   #13
kolosy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Good decision!

Mixed = staggered

What dealer are you using?
Perillo. Used to go through Knauz, but got tired of driving 40 miles to get a bmw loaner for service

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 08:00 PM   #14
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Just got my Breeze, BMW CCA Windy City chapter newsletter.

....mounted on Borbet wheels (I had to crop the photo for size.)
Attached Images

10-08-2015, 08:55 PM   #15
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Lol all this talk about winter in chicago and you guys should see how useful awd is in canada where winter tires are a must. I have never gotten stuck with xdrive where others have with rwd/fwd. I guess it all depends on where you live and how much snow you're getting. Not to mention our roads here are shit compared to the states.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 09:12 PM   #16
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsch View Post

I also lived in Chicago. And drove a car on all-seasons. Never again.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 10:26 PM   #17
kolosy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Just got my Breeze, BMW CCA Windy City chapter newsletter.

....mounted on Borbet wheels (I had to crop the photo for size.)
do 17" wheels fit over F30 m-sport brakes?

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 10:28 PM   #18
kolosy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
Lol all this talk about winter in chicago and you guys should see how useful awd is in canada where winter tires are a must. I have never gotten stuck with xdrive where others have with rwd/fwd. I guess it all depends on where you live and how much snow you're getting. Not to mention our roads here are shit compared to the states.
it's all a function of plowing and ice. both the wife and i use public trans to get to the office, so have the discretion of not *having* to drive in a storm. streets get cleared quickly enough. the only time i ever had an issue is when i decided to try out the snow tires on my 135 on an unplowed sidestreet and caught the snow with the bottom of the car (s-m-r-t)

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 10:55 PM   #19
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
No. 18" min.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 01:13 AM   #20
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
No. 18" min.
Maybe 17s will fit. There's a thread by a guy in Michigan with the Track package/M Sport brakes on his 2er on Bimmerfest. I'll find it and link it tomorrow.

10-09-2015, 02:05 PM   #21
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Maybe 17s will fit. There's a thread by a guy in Michigan with the Track package/M Sport brakes on his 2er on Bimmerfest. I'll find it and link it tomorrow.
2 series have a very different hub/brakes geometry. Just look at the 18mm ET difference between OEM wheels used on F30 and F22.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 04:18 PM   #22
NWest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:

My $0.02 is If you have an opportunity, you should drive the RWD and AWD versions for your own benefit.

It's great to get everyone's valuable feedback on this beaten-to-death topic, but you will be the one driving this and your opinion should be the deciding factor with this big of an investment.
Appreciate 0