E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Another smoke on deceleration thread :( please help

10-07-2015, 02:33 AM   #1
Asps91
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i

Another smoke on deceleration thread :( please help

Hey guys, I own a 2008 e92 335i with 65000kms on it. It's full bolt on with catless downpipes.

I know this has been brought up quite a few times and usually leads to answers of turbo seals, valves ect but Ive got a symptom or something different I haven't found anywhere on the Internet.

When it's cold and very rarely when it's warm I'll get the bluish plumes of smoke from the exhuast on deceleration and when stopped after deceleration like many others experience. Defiently smells like oil but I'm not consuming much of it at all. However, if I put it in neutral just before I decelerate or stop it will not smoke....

Could this be more of a crankcase ventilation issue? Or could it still point to turbos.

When I was getting my pre cat O2 sensors changed a few weeks ago the mechanic said there was little if no oil in the rear housing of the turbo.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 04:25 AM   #2
NoPwrOvrMe
Your Master.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' Charger SRT, 07' G55 AMG

I had the same issue. Not a lot of oil was consumed but every 3 ish months I'd have to add a quart, but by then it was time for an oil change anyways.

My problem was the valve cover gasket. Fixed that and let the car burn off the rest of the leaked oil and no more smoke.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 05:52 AM   #3
sk55
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi coupe

sound like PCV....

try taking PCV hose out...driver side vent to air... see what happens...

the fix would be...

checking pcv hose if it clogged...
change pcv valve...
change valve cover (part of pcv system)
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 07:42 PM   #4
Asps91
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i

Thanks a lot guys, on close inspection I can actually see a bit of oil leaking from the valve cover. Maybe there is an issue there along with the pcv. I will get it replaced regardless and a rb pcv installed and hopefully that fixes things!
Appreciate 0