proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

10-04-2015, 08:46 AM   #1
simpelton
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Fuel/Petrol/Gas/98

Back in the day, had a work colleague with a fully worked R34 who swore by filling up only at shell. Recently family member bought a cayenne gts, dealer said fill with only shell 98. I use 98 but fill up where ever, caltex or BP typically.

Is a 98 a 98 or is shell really superior? What do you all use/recommend?

P.S. talking about 98 RON
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 03:48 PM   #2
Øzzy
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Back in the days Shell used to be the better fuel, not anymore. The Caltex / BP are the better fuel now. The Shell 98 formula now has a yellow dye in it which over time forms like a blanket in your fuel tank. BP/Caltex which is the same fuel from the same refinery is a better option as they don't use any dyes. As a motorcycle mechanic I see this on a daily bases who uses what, and trust me bikes are more sensitive when it comes to 98 fuels.

In saying this I will not be able to guaranty that any fuel will be clean... in January this year BP admitted of an mistake made at the refinery with the 98 formula which by mistake was added 20% ethanol. You may remember this as it was on the news with all the Porches and other sports cars all broken done within 1km from the stations

Number one rule is to make sure you fill up from bigger stations which are on main roads, they tend to re-fill the 98 stock up much quicker than smaller stations which means fresher fuel. Remember that smaller stations usually are stocked up with older batches in which case you are better off with fresh 91 since a batch of 30 day old 98 is probably weak as
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 06:10 PM   #3
chromedome
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Alpine White, 911 997.2

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
This can be a bit of a religious argument...

My experience, with bikes (BMW's too...) was that I found that if I didn't ride for a few weeks after filling up with the 'newer' fuels - 98 from BP or Shell - which have additives in them the fuel would go 'stale' very quickly.

Not sure of the actual chemistry but as the previous poster mentioned, bikes have a much lower tolerance for bad fuel than cars. I was having issues with power and starting.

The BMW dealer mentioned it may be fuel - I've since had this confirmed by a few motorcycle guys.

So to your point - I don't think its necessarily the brand but the 'freshness' of the fuel and how regularly you drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 08:44 PM   #4
Øzzy
Banned
Australia
Rep

Who do you ride with chromedome?
Come riding with us
Go to my website www.ozracing.biz and at the bottom right of the page enter my forum and join. I do regular rides almost every Sunday weather permitting
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 02:27 AM   #5
simpelton
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Øzzy View Post
In saying this I will not be able to guaranty that any fuel will be clean... in January this year BP admitted of an mistake made at the refinery with the 98 formula which by mistake was added 20% ethanol. You may remember this as it was on the news with all the Porches and other sports cars all broken done within 1km from the stations

Number one rule is to make sure you fill up from bigger stations which are on main roads, they tend to re-fill the 98 stock up much quicker than smaller stations which means fresher fuel. Remember that smaller stations usually are stocked up with older batches in which case you are better off with fresh 91 since a batch of 30 day old 98 is probably weak as
Intriguing, was never aware that the fuel deteriorates, I have a tank that sits around for a couple weeks sometimes, so will have to fill just before going for a spin and burn it out before heading back .... That should be easy :-)

I don't recall about the fuel mix up, did they pay comp. for any damage caused?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 02:42 AM   #6
Øzzy
Banned
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpelton View Post

I don't recall about the fuel mix up, did they pay comp. for any damage caused?
Yes
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 02:51 AM   #7
simpelton
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromedome View Post
So to your point - I don't think its necessarily the brand but the 'freshness' of the fuel and how regularly you drive.
Makes my life easier, I tend to stick to Caltex but only due to convenience. We seem to have consensus, fresh fuel it is.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 08:22 AM   #8
simpelton
Private
Australia
Rep

What about oil changes, stick to the schedule or change more often - tracking the car probably clouds the answer to this I guess
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 02:59 PM   #9
AC-S
Registered Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpelton View Post
What about oil changes, stick to the schedule or change more often - tracking the car probably clouds the answer to this I guess
It all depends what oil you are using
If you use a good quality oil like Mobile 1 then once a year as per schedule or 10000km should be ok, if you do track days like me then I am very anal about it and do an oil change after every track day
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 11:16 PM   #10
simpelton
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Ozzy> View Post
It all depends what oil you are using
If you use a good quality oil like Mobile 1 then once a year as per schedule or 10000km should be ok, if you do track days like me then I am very anal about it and do an oil change after every track day
What oil do they use when the car is serviced?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 01:59 AM   #11
AC-S
Registered Member
Australia
Rep

When I do my own oil changes I use Mobil 1 0W-40
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 08:54 AM   #12
Explicit
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: Germany & Japan

As stated above, stick to factory service intervals. If you track hard then an oil change shortly after is good insurance.
www.racewars.com.au
Appreciate 0