THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) How to Detail Mineral White Paint??

09-19-2015, 10:53 AM   #1
eclipes
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i Msport

How to Detail Mineral White Paint??

how do you guys detail the mineral white to make it pop? Its hard to get the same level of depth compared to the blue or reds. The best i have done is DA polish with autogylm super resin polish and then applying the ultra gloss sealant. This is the best shine i have been able to achieve.

Anyone here able to get a better shine or depth in the white?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 08:19 PM   #2
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

You have probably nailed it & maybe as best you can get, without seeing your result in person.

Almost all the mineral whites I have seen in BMW or other marques, domestic or foreign just have the "edge for pop" taken off with the pearl effect paints. Some really like that---they feel it makes a more luxurious look.

But the reflection back to your eye is diminished with the pearl additive, and thus the pop, as compared by the Alpine White, its cousin. Eliminate other colors....they have their own reflective.

You might wish to let a detailing pro look at it, and "eval" your finish work...maybe there is more to be had. Maybe not.

It's still a fine look...just may not pop out like you wish. But with no offense to your work/product...have some one else take a look, who does this as well. Just a thot.
Appreciate 1
MAGugs1.50
      09-19-2015, 08:24 PM   #3
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Thot of one other thing: you bought the car and color so it really must have rung the bell at the time. I would put the best finish as you have on it, make sure the wheels and tires pop with clean glass, and let it have its own personality.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 10:46 PM   #4
grc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

I also have a mineral white and I have the same quest. I have a bottle of 22ple glass coating but I am not sure if it will good on the mineral white, so I have not used it yet.
Any idea how a glass coat will look on this color?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 07:48 PM   #5
eclipes
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have to explore into glass coat. Looks like that is the next level in detailing white cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by grc View Post
I also have a mineral white and I have the same quest. I have a bottle of 22ple glass coating but I am not sure if it will good on the mineral white, so I have not used it yet.
Any idea how a glass coat will look on this color?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 01:48 PM   #6
opfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Rabbit

mine looks pretty good with just a coat of meguiars ultimate wax. but I think its a problem with all whites, its hard to get them to pop.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 09:13 AM   #7
eugewu88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m235i to be

Anyone use chemical guys white light glaze? It's formulated for white cars for a wet bright shine.
Appreciate 1
span1.00
      11-21-2015, 12:19 PM   #8
Guitarman15
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235 Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugewu88
Anyone use chemical guys white light glaze? It's formulated for white cars for a wet bright shine.
I use it. I like it. I use all chemical guys products. I am very satisfied with outcome.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 01:02 PM   #9
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

16 month old MW M235, never been polished and use spot application of Meguiars Hi-Tech liquid wax for correction and Zaino polish down on the rocker panel for tar.
Zymol car wash, BMW Natural Wax. Never press the wash/wax micro-fiber towels into the paint.
For gloss Lucas Slick Mist.
To get gloss on my wheels, pretty much same as paint but instead of Lucas I chose Zymol Spray Wheel Wax.

I can go three weeks without washing wheels but a simple wash with a cotton applicator or sponge cleans with no embedded brake dust.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 07:22 AM   #10
eclipes
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I just found out how to get the deep gloss and depth on the MW similar to dark coloured cars. You need a glaze product after polishing and before wax/sealant.

Its clay, compound, polish, glaze and then wax/sealant. The glaze has no durability, mainly used to finish off the car and bring out the shine from correction before sealing it up
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 05:36 PM   #11
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228iC -picked up 8-13-16!

Sorry to reply to an old thread...but yes the glazes are the main ingredient in gloss and pop in light colored cars.

I've been using the Meguiars Mirror Glaze #7 Show Car Glaze since the late 90's when I became a licensed driver at age 16 in 1997. A pure polish with no abrasive qualities, the polish can be used on layering coats. I usually do two coats minimum.
The stuff has been around as long as Meguairs has been around.

Other stuff I'd use for light colors is:

Zymol Creame' wax for light colored finishes.
Zymol Detail wax for aerodynamic parts - parts painted with flex agent - bumpers, spoilers, etc.
Zymol Atlantique Estate Glaze hand crafted wax.
Zymol Destiny Estate Glaze hand crafted wax.

I also have Car Groom #24 Liquid Carnauba yellow wax - pure wax with no abrasives - old school supply from the 1980's/early 1990's. Have about a quart of the stuff left. Love it. I've been using it on light colored cars since the late 90's.
2013 320i sedan (Sapphire Black Metallic, Black/Black)
2016 228i convertible (Mineral White, Oyster Leather, Luxury Line)
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 05:02 PM   #12
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptempo80
Sorry to reply to an old thread...but yes the glazes are the main ingredient in gloss and pop in light colored cars.

I've been using the Meguiars Mirror Glaze #7 Show Car Glaze since the late 90's when I became a licensed driver at age 16 in 1997. A pure polish with no abrasive qualities, the polish can be used on layering coats. I usually do two coats minimum.
The stuff has been around as long as Meguairs has been around.

Other stuff I'd use for light colors is:

Zymol Creame' wax for light colored finishes.
Zymol Detail wax for aerodynamic parts - parts painted with flex agent - bumpers, spoilers, etc.
Zymol Atlantique Estate Glaze hand crafted wax.
Zymol Destiny Estate Glaze hand crafted wax.

I also have Car Groom #24 Liquid Carnauba yellow wax - pure wax with no abrasives - old school supply from the 1980's/early 1990's. Have about a quart of the stuff left. Love it. I've been using it on light colored cars since the late 90's.
lol, Atlantique costs $1,385. I think I'm more than happy with my Power lock and P21s combo haha.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 09:53 PM   #13
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228iC -picked up 8-13-16!

I just have the sample kit x2 lol. Paid less than $200 for each kit. The kits I have contains 4.0 oz of vintage, atlantique, and destiny. I first got one in 2004 & then stocked up with another 2006. The sample kit pricing is now through the roof.

I usually use the stuff for the first summer detail or the annual BMW concours held every July.

More regularly I have a common 3 wax rotation. I do stick to one rotation of same product each year. They are:

1. Meguairs Mirror Glaze Hi-Tech yellow wax
2. Car Groom #24 yellow carnauba wax
3. Zymol Creame' wax

For prep I use P21S paintwork cleanser or Zymol HD Cleanse.
I use Prima Amigo or Meguairs #7 show car glaze as my polishes.
Left out of my usual rotation is: Griots #3 Machine Polish, Meguairs Mirror Glaze Machine Polish, Meguairs Mirror Glaze swirl remover 2.0, and Car Groom #26 cleaner & polish.

I have to do a full correction detail on my new 2016 228i vert, so I'll probably avoid clay if possible and just use P21S Paintwork cleaner followed by Prima Amigo and some coats of #7 polish. I'll use whatever wax I feel like using at the moment.
2013 320i sedan (Sapphire Black Metallic, Black/Black)
2016 228i convertible (Mineral White, Oyster Leather, Luxury Line)
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 04:22 PM   #14
EuroDude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 GT350

Garage List
2017 Ford GT350  [0.00]
Meguiar's #7 was great back in the day. ie) 80's, early 90's. It is still used for single stage paint jobs to hydrate and nourish the paint with oils. Today's modern clearcoats have ZERO use for a product like this. Any type of glaze which was once used to conceal defects should be substituted for a good machine polish to remove defects and polish to a high gloss and then followed up with a good last step protectant of your choice whether it be a wax or sealant or coating.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 02:06 PM   #15
Sinkhole
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i xDrive Convertible

Has anyone tried Mequiar's White Wax? I just picked up a Mineral White 228xi Convertible 5 days ago and am going through my cleaning supplies and checking out what I have that I like and what I have that I like not so much. I haven't owned a white car before and the last white car a I cared for was my mom's 1987 Toyota Camry, which had horrible paint right from the get go. My Silverado is Victory Red, which is a non-metallic bright red, and the wife's TrailBlazer is a very bland metallic gun metal grey. Well this is our new baby and I need to keep it clean and shiny. I've used Mequiar's Gold Class Products for years and love the wash. I'm just questioning whether or not the Gold Class traditional carnauba wax is the way to go on this car.
I was thinking of trying Meguiar's MirrorBright line.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 02:18 PM   #16
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinkhole View Post
Has anyone tried Mequiar's White Wax? I just picked up a Mineral White 228xi Convertible 5 days ago and am going through my cleaning supplies and checking out what I have that I like and what I have that I like not so much. I haven't owned a white car before and the last white car a I cared for was my mom's 1987 Toyota Camry, which had horrible paint right from the get go. My Silverado is Victory Red, which is a non-metallic bright red, and the wife's TrailBlazer is a very bland metallic gun metal grey. Well this is our new baby and I need to keep it clean and shiny. I've used Mequiar's Gold Class Products for years and love the wash. I'm just questioning whether or not the Gold Class traditional carnauba wax is the way to go on this car.
I was thinking of trying Meguiar's MirrorBright line.
Honestly, for just a bit more money I find that there are better products on the market than Meguiar's. I too used to use their stuff almost exclusively. However, having since branched out to Chemical Guys and Adams and some other products I've found that I'm getting way better performance for $1 to $3 more.

That said, Chemical Guys makes a product called white light. It's basically a glaze and I plan on giving it a shot when I hit my 6 month limit on Powerlock. On top of Powerlock I add a layer of P21s carnuba wax once a month. I'm super happy with the results so far.

I should add that I do continue to use some Meguiar's products. Specifically their gold class soap in my foam gun because I feel that it's cheap enough to "waste" in the foam gun.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 04:33 PM   #17
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
forget waxes unless you go with collinite. go with sealants or even some spray waxes. way more bang for your buck. you will get longer protection and a glossier look. check out sonax polymer netshield. if you want something easier to apply and even cheaper go with optimum spray wax. two of the best out of the sealant/spray wax families.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 09:39 PM   #18
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
forget waxes unless you go with collinite. go with sealants or even some spray waxes. way more bang for your buck. you will get longer protection and a glossier look. check out sonax polymer netshield. if you want something easier to apply and even cheaper go with optimum spray wax. two of the best out of the sealant/spray wax families.
Kinotech showroom shine is very good as well.
Appreciate 1
rjd5981769.50
      09-07-2016, 11:06 PM   #19
Sinkhole
United_States
Rep

I'm considering having the car treated with Ceramic Pro 9H
from what I've seen it gives an incredible shine, and protects to boot.

Look at the shine on this Porsche
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 11:14 AM   #20
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinkhole View Post
I'm considering having the car treated with Ceramic Pro 9H
from what I've seen it gives an incredible shine, and protects to boot.

Look at the shine on this Porsche
look into modesta and cquartz. do your research and good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 09:57 PM   #21
Sinkhole
United_States
Rep

Since I already had a milk crate full of Meguiar's products I went to work on the car after work today. This was the 1st chance I got to clean the car since we took delivery last week. It seems in that one week the car managed to collect some really stubborn tree sap or industrial fall out that would not come off. So I gave it a good wash with Gold Class, cleaned the wheels with Hot Rims and went to work with the clay bar on every inch of the car. Then I hit it with some Quik Detailer and applied a coat of Ultimate Liquid Wax and the tires got some Hot Shine Tire Foam. I know there are better products out there, but I had everything already and over all it came out really nice. That Mineral White pops now and the Clay Bar took off all those stubborn contaminants.

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 10:11 PM   #22
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Nice, looks good man. I didn't get to wash my car this weekend which is unusual for me. Guess it'll get a wash tomorrow afternoon.
Appreciate 0