E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > jb4 tune

09-16-2015, 11:41 AM   #1
sergbec
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

jb4 tune

What's up everybody. I just bought an 07 335i about a month ago, it's completely stock and I was thinking of keeping it that way and just tuning it you guys think that's a good idea? Or would I have to upgrade exhaust or something like that to see a difference? I'm new to these cars so if someone could give me some insight about these cars and how they run with just a tune thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 11:44 AM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergbec View Post
What's up everybody. I just bought an 07 335i about a month ago, it's completely stock and I was thinking of keeping it that way and just tuning it you guys think that's a good idea? Or would I have to upgrade exhaust or something like that to see a difference? I'm new to these cars so if someone could give me some insight about these cars and how they run with just a tune thanks.
Throw a tune on and enjoy. On a stock car it adds a good 60HP.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 11:55 AM   #3
sergbec
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Throw a tune on and enjoy. On a stock car it adds a good 60HP.
Thanks for the reply man. That sounds good, not planning on doing much to it you know I like the power that it has now but I have been reading about the jb4 and thought it would be nice to have a lil extra power without upgrading anything you know lol
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 12:07 PM   #4
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply man. That sounds good, not planning on doing much to it you know I like the power that it has now but I have been reading about the jb4 and thought it would be nice to have a lil extra power without upgrading anything you know lol
Yea, well first place to start is with a tune. JB4 is definitely very popular. Plug and Play and install in under 45 min.

IF you want something even easier to install, Cobb AP, flash tune, plugs right into the OBD II port. It's about 2x the cost though for similar power but install is just a few clicks on the handheld device and in about 10 min you are good to go.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 12:17 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Tune on this car is a must.

Get the Jb4, install it and forget about it. It will make your car so much more fun to drive

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 02:05 PM   #6
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Like Jeff mentioned, JB4 with a DCI and USB cable is a great start or COBB with a DCI is another option. I am more partial to the JB4

Also I would add a charge pipe to the list of future upgrades as well as its a weak link in the system.

Most importantly have fun with the car and congrats on teh purchase!

Mike
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 03:16 PM   #7
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i 6MT E90

Whatever you buy, you'll be craving more soon after

Just don't forget, do the spark plugs before the tune, and consider a chargepipe as well as stated above.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 03:22 PM   #8
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335NJ View Post
Whatever you buy, you'll be craving more soon after

Just don't forget, do the spark plugs before the tune, and consider a chargepipe as well as stated above.
Good point. Spark plugs should be changed before tune and the stock charge pipe is prone to cracking under high boost. Some people get away with it for a while but since the OP has an 07, id look into it sooner then later based on age.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 03:40 PM   #9
matthewo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
That sounds good, not planning on doing much to it you know I like the power that it has now.

Sureeeeee.....
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 03:41 PM   #10
sergbec
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335coupe2007 View Post
Dude.. We've all been there with the ohhhh you know... I don't wanna do too much just maybe a tune or exhaust and keep it like that.... Heck maybe even keep it stock...... RIIIIIIIIGHT.

Next thing you know you're stalking e90 post everyday and night for hours looking for different ideas of things to do to your car; and before you know it, you've already purchased a tune, intake, fmic, exhaust , occ, charge pipe, oil cooler.... And now looking to upgrade turbos talking about e85. Lmfao...
... Don't believe me? Wait you'll see
Lol good point.. I'll see how long I go before I start getting more stuff thanks for all the responses fellas I'm excited to see how my car will act after the tune
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 03:58 PM   #11
sergbec
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Like Jeff mentioned, JB4 with a DCI and USB cable is a great start or COBB with a DCI is another option. I am more partial to the JB4

Also I would add a charge pipe to the list of future upgrades as well as its a weak link in the system.

Most importantly have fun with the car and congrats on teh purchase!

Mike
Thanks man.. And another thing what is the charge pipe? Like I said before I'm new to these cars so there's a lot of things I need to learn thanks again
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 04:14 PM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Thanks man.. And another thing what is the charge pipe? Like I said before I'm new to these cars so there's a lot of things I need to learn thanks again
It is the pipe that connects the intercooler to the throttle body. When you add a tune to your car boost increases, and the cheap plastic OE charge pipe fails.
It is very important to add an aftermarket charge pipe once your have a tune.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 04:24 PM   #13
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Dude.. We've all been there with the ohhhh you know... I don't wanna do too much just maybe a tune or exhaust and keep it like that.... Heck maybe even keep it stock...... RIIIIIIIIGHT.

Next thing you know you're stalking e90 post everyday and night for hours looking for different ideas of things to do to your car; and before you know it, you've already purchased a tune, intake, fmic, exhaust , occ, charge pipe, oil cooler.... And now looking to upgrade turbos talking about e85. Lmfao...
Yeah..he's right. Bought my car over a year ago and after being on the forums I have done the following: JB4, CP, rear foglight, ghost lights, coding with Carley app, interior led's, plasti dip side markers and use e85. And that's nothing compared to what others do...but all of this I would not have done had I not been here and Bimmerfest. I would probably go with Dp's but I don't want to deal with the emission side of it. And that's not to mention the detailing stuff I have been fiddling around with too. My advice: if you want to stay stock--DONT READ THE FORUMS..otherwise you will succumb.
      09-21-2015, 10:24 PM   #14
Gunner_27
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53 X5 (4.8is)

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 04:19 AM   #15
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Before you begin with a tune, you should be doing alot of research on what that entails, possible problems, maintenance, etc etc.
      09-22-2015, 05:13 AM   #16
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT

This is a beat to death topic...do some research.

Cobb is dated and I don't believe they are doing any additional support for it any longer (plus it's expensive). Can also do the MHD tune as well, which is very inexpensive. Or it can be combined with the JB4, which IMO is the better combo (or do the BB Backend flash with the JB4, which is what I did).

Assume plugs before the JB4; install both at the same time as you will be mostly there installing the JB4.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 08:30 AM   #17
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

If you just want a tune get MHD. Do some reading in this forum about MHD Flasher before buying anything else.

The only reason you are being pushed towards COBB and JB4 is because the resellers want to sell you products they stock and take their cut.
It will start with the JB4 then they will start pushing the charge pipe, DCI and OCC as "essential mods".
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 09:35 AM   #18
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
If you just want a tune get MHD. Do some reading in this forum about MHD Flasher before buying anything else.

The only reason you are being pushed towards COBB and JB4 is because the resellers want to sell you products they stock and take their cut.
It will start with the JB4 then they will start pushing the charge pipe, DCI and OCC as "essential mods".
I am sorry you feel vendors are pushing things, but an intake and a charge pipe are essential mods when you start modifying these cars. Sure you can run tune only, but its best to upgrade some of the key components. I read through the thread above and nobody is forcing the OP to buy anything. Just offering suggestions. Many of us have been here a long time (since 2008 for me) and have a lot of experience with these cars, so we are just trying to share our experience and recommendations.

Mike
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2015, 10:41 AM   #19
NoSlow5oh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 335i

Quote:
I am sorry you feel vendors are pushing things, but an intake and a charge pipe are essential mods when you start modifying these cars. Sure you can run tune only, but its best to upgrade some of the key components. I read through the thread above and nobody is forcing the OP to buy anything. Just offering suggestions. Many of us have been here a long time (since 2008 for me) and have a lot of experience with these cars, so we are just trying to share our experience and recommendations.

Mike
I think all the vendors on here are doing a great service to the BMW enthusiast community. When I start to mod my car more, I'll be looking to buy from you guys. I only have an FMIC and some e85 with a flash tune, and with over 400/450 at the wheels, I'm good for now.

The point CarAbuser is getting at, which I agree as well, is that you or any other vendor will not suggest the MHD Flasher to a member in almost any circumstance. To me it's a no-brainer to go MHD. To new members, it's not that clear.

This is not a "which is better" statement. It's a pretty clear choice that, in this OP's opening info, he/she just wants a tune at the moment. Why would you suggest something that takes up to a couple hours to install/uninstall, when a flash tuner is much easier? Why would you suggest a platform that is not getting updates and costs $800+ over a platform that is taking off with great success and moving the N54 community forward and only costs $250?

The reason is very simple. You don't make money off of it.

I'm not sure what the future holds for MHD, but if a vendor started selling a cheap, OTG usable android tablet/cable for the iPhone people to use, they could probably sell a lot of them and make some money.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 11:02 AM   #20
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:

Mike
Totally agree on the CP needing to be replaced for any tune--that way it can be controlled when to replace it. But I am wondering why people make a big deal about intake. Doesn't seem to do much on the power category and it is a little mixed on how people like the sound. As far as turbos breathing better, if they did wouldn't they produce more power? I've been on the fence on this issue but the evidence that I seem to find is inconclusive that spending a couple hundred on this gives real results.
      09-22-2015, 11:16 AM   #21
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSlow5oh View Post
I think all the vendors on here are doing a great service to the BMW enthusiast community. When I start to mod my car more, I'll be looking to buy from you guys. I only have an FMIC and some e85 with a flash tune, and with over 400/450 at the wheels, I'm good for now.

The point CarAbuser is getting at, which I agree as well, is that you or any other vendor will not suggest the MHD Flasher to a member in almost any circumstance. To me it's a no-brainer to go MHD. To new members, it's not that clear.

This is not a "which is better" statement. It's a pretty clear choice that, in this OP's opening info, he/she just wants a tune at the moment. Why would you suggest something that takes up to a couple hours to install/uninstall, when a flash tuner is much easier? Why would you suggest a platform that is not getting updates and costs $800+ over a platform that is taking off with great success and moving the N54 community forward and only costs $250?

The reason is very simple. You don't make money off of it.

I'm not sure what the future holds for MHD, but if a vendor started selling a cheap, OTG usable android tablet/cable for the iPhone people to use, they could probably sell a lot of them and make some money.
I don't want to get in too much discussion on this but the original thread is titled JB4 Secondly the JB4 is 479.00 and takes 30-45min to install and has new features released on it still (anti lag just came out). Some can even get it done in 15min. MHD is a great option as well and I have recommended it to many people. I can't speak to the other vendors but I am in these forums to help customers and I recommend products a lot of the time I don't even sell. Perhaps I am am a bad business man, but I am an enthusiast first and actually really like to help the community as much as I can.

I also believe for someone starting out who needs a set and forget tune (once installed) the JB4 is a great option.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 11:17 AM   #22
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
Totally agree on the CP needing to be replaced for any tune--that way it can be controlled when to replace it. But I am wondering why people make a big deal about intake. Doesn't seem to do much on the power category and it is a little mixed on how people like the sound. As far as turbos breathing better, if they did wouldn't they produce more power? I've been on the fence on this issue but the evidence that I seem to find is inconclusive that spending a couple hundred on this gives real results.
The engine is a basically a large air pump. You want to minimize restrictions on the intake and exhaust side when tuning. An intake won't benefit you on stock tuning much, but when tuned and running high boost you can get 10-15hp/tq in the upper RPM band. The DCI is also very cheap (under 100.00) so it make it a no brainer in my book.

Mike
Appreciate 0