THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Chassis Malfunction?

09-06-2015, 09:42 AM   #1
ketema
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Chassis Malfunction?

Yesterday while at a test in tune day I was taking laps at the FIRM in Starke, FL and I came in too hot on a U turn and did not get my downshift to second completed in time. I was testing my new Toyo R888s which were phenomenal and so decided to try and re match and complete the downshift while in the turn. I of course initiated a spin. However I corrected and started a really nice drift. Then the car threw an error and completely cut power. The error was "Chassis Malfunction" moderate driving still possible. With the loss of power I just stopped, didn't finish the spin or anything. The car would not come out of normal mode although it was running fine. I came into the pits cycled the car and it was fine. I was driving as I always do in DSC Off mode and I have the KW EDC delete kit to go along with my club sport coil overs. So what causes this error? Obviously the spin, but why? I have spin before and this didn't happen. This was my first sustained drift though...man it felt good too! Thoughts appreciated
2015 6M Black Sapphire Metallic | MPE w/Carbon Tips | Digital MP Steering Wheel | Carbon Interior | StopTech Slotted Rotors | Pagid RSL1 Race Pads | KW Clubsport Coilovers | DINAN Stage 2 and Carbon air intake | Clutch Masters Lightweight Performance Clutch and Flywheel | Hotchkis Anti-Roll Bars | Enkei RS05RR 18" Racing Wheels
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2015, 09:48 AM   #2
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

might be a safety feature to prevent you from screwing/ overheating the diff or something.... same thing happened on a skid pad to me
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 09:51 AM   #3
ketema
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu
might be a safety feature to prevent you from screwing/ overheating the diff or something.... same thing happened on a skid pad to me
How do they make that drift commercial then? Using non standard cars? If so that's kinda bogus
2015 6M Black Sapphire Metallic | MPE w/Carbon Tips | Digital MP Steering Wheel | Carbon Interior | StopTech Slotted Rotors | Pagid RSL1 Race Pads | KW Clubsport Coilovers | DINAN Stage 2 and Carbon air intake | Clutch Masters Lightweight Performance Clutch and Flywheel | Hotchkis Anti-Roll Bars | Enkei RS05RR 18" Racing Wheels
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 11:51 AM   #4
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

drivetrain malfuction was more probably the kW delete modules getting too hot or the tune, no sensors on the diff.

My guess is the sensor wires, maybe get loose or the heat caused a pin to get loose. If you had a snap oversteer with correction may just have tugged a wire too far for a second, if it cycled away on restart and you don't see again I would not worry.

Only time I have seen was when I forgot to plug in one sensor after spring swap, and on tune when ran out of meth on track, my friend was driving he came in the pits white faced, he thought he blew the motor lol.

If does not repeat I would not sweat it.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 11:53 AM   #5
ketema
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It wasn't drivetrain. Chassis malfunction.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 12:28 PM   #6
Pparana
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketema View Post
It wasn't drivetrain. Chassis malfunction.
Sorry, chassis is most likely the sensors then.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 08:36 AM   #7
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketema View Post
Yesterday while at a test in tune day I was taking laps at the FIRM in Starke, FL and I came in too hot on a U turn and did not get my downshift to second completed in time. I was testing my new Toyo R888s which were phenomenal and so decided to try and re match and complete the downshift while in the turn. I of course initiated a spin. However I corrected and started a really nice drift. Then the car threw an error and completely cut power. The error was "Chassis Malfunction" moderate driving still possible. With the loss of power I just stopped, didn't finish the spin or anything. The car would not come out of normal mode although it was running fine. I came into the pits cycled the car and it was fine. I was driving as I always do in DSC Off mode and I have the KW EDC delete kit to go along with my club sport coil overs. So what causes this error? Obviously the spin, but why? I have spin before and this didn't happen. This was my first sustained drift though...man it felt good too! Thoughts appreciated
Without knowing the exact code this is purely speculation but I suspect the “spin” flipped out the yaw sensors and the car was trying to save lives……
Appreciate 4
      09-08-2015, 08:25 PM   #8
Pparana
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Without knowing the exact code this is purely speculation but I suspect the “spin” flipped out the yaw sensors and the car was trying to save lives……
Seems reasonable, every time I spun I stalled. I do not think you car totally defeat the traction control, I think it just starts dialing it back.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 05:29 AM   #9
verheizer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 435i

I read about a similar phenomenon in a german car magazine. I think it was a tuned 435i. When the EDC equipped cars get too much lateral acceleration this chassis malfunction mode engages. Nothing is broken, but it sure is annoying.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 05:30 AM   #10
ketema
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'd like to know if there is a way to turn it off? "Completely off mode"? Lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 11:54 AM   #11
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
hopefully it's not a "malfunction" in the same vein as when Houston mutters about "launch anomaly"'s
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 01:38 PM   #12
Pparana
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by caycep View Post
hopefully it's not a "malfunction" in the same vein as when Houston mutters about "launch anomaly"'s
Chassis Malfunction, car on roof, drive moderately.
Appreciate 1
DVC558.00
      10-19-2015, 11:56 AM   #13
lijiahua790
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i n20

KW EDC delete

So what will be the solution here?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 12:04 PM   #14
ketema
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well for me it never happened off track. I attributed it to spinning and heat. Once the car cooled it was fine. I had it happen a couple more times on a different track, but each time I was thrashing the car. So not sure why italics happen to you unless you were doing the same.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 10:45 PM   #15
Pparana
Captain
Rep

You could add a heat sink to the module or place where they get some airflow. I do not have them, I just read that some other cars had issues with them overheating.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 06:07 AM   #16
gr8bone
Registered
Rep
Drives: M235i

'15 M235i xdrive kw clubsport edc delete chassis malfuction!

Hi 2 addicts this is my 1st post.
Mods:
Dinan stage 2 ecu, intake, exhaust
Front rear spoiler, black grill, black badges, M stripes on a white car.
Hoosier A7

All those mods were running fine for 5k miles.

As soon as i put on the kw clubsports with edc delete the car started up with chassis malfunction and has been driving in limp mode for the past two weeks.
I was hoping the error went away like it did for others on the forums but it didnt and i autocrossed it in limp mode which doesnt let me turn dsc off nor put it in sport+
I tried swaping the front vertical acceleration sensors and tried leaving them unplugged, neither worked.

What else can i try before taking it to the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 06:10 AM   #17
ketema
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8bone
Hi 2 addicts this is my 1st post.
Mods:
Dinan stage 2 ecu, intake, exhaust
Front rear spoiler, black grill, black badges, M stripes on a white car.
Hoosier A7

All those mods were running fine for 5k miles.

As soon as i put on the kw clubsports with edc delete the car started up with chassis malfunction and has been driving in limp mode for the past two weeks.
I was hoping the error went away like it did for others on the forums but it didnt and i autocrossed it in limp mode which doesnt let me turn dsc off nor put it in sport+
I tried swaping the front vertical acceleration sensors and tried leaving them unplugged, neither worked.

What else can i try before taking it to the dealer?
I would check your EDC delete install first.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2016, 09:18 AM   #18
Pparana
Captain
Rep

It is also possible to just code out the option, its pretty easy. I went that route as the modules tend to have heat issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 10:56 AM   #19
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Had the same message the first time I started the car after installing JB4. Just turned the car off and back on and it never came up again.

Not sure if it was related to JB4, but it happened right after JB4 install.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 02:33 PM   #20
Pparana
Captain
Rep

if you disconnect the battery you will get it for the first few minutes of driving until everything relearns.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 02:25 PM   #21
gr8bone
Registered
Rep
Drives: M235i

It was my EDC delete. One of the pins was bent.
Straightened it out plugged it back in and everything is gr8 now!
Luckily i found it on the first wheel i tried
Thanks everyone
Appreciate 2
rich8566608.50
amw896582.50
      08-30-2016, 06:44 PM   #22
cbbplanet
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: space shuttle

hey sorry to bring up an old thread but i was wondering if you have a picture of your edc delete? i have the same exact chassis malfunction message

When i installed my v3, the shop actually had to cut the existing connector off and splice the new cancellation kit. I'm think thats the reason its throwing the error but can't really undo the splicing now.
Appreciate 0