proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

08-29-2015, 08:09 AM   #1
TillyM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G82 Xdrive

Garage List
2022 M4 Xdrive  [9.83]
2016 MINI JCW  [10.00]
Noob question on Modding

Planning on doing light modding on the car - exhaust /intake / chip etc ..
do you make your own purchase on the parts and ask shop to install ? or are there any shop that carries such parts ? akrapovic , awe & dinan in particular ?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 02:10 PM   #2
blackout23
Private
Rep
Drives: 718 Boxster GTS 4.0

Most "tuner" shops should definitely be able to handle simple mod installs such as exhaust, intake, etc., and will likely have suppliers that can get them the parts you want. In many/most cases buying through a shop is likely to cost more than what you could get directly, other than shipping cost considerations, but some shops might be hesitant to install anything but their own-sourced parts.

I highly recommend a skilled, reputable shop that specializes in the type of vehicle you are modding to do anything beyond very simple upgrades (e.g., headwork, fuel system, turbo upgrades, custom tuning, even header installs). Your mileage may vary widely with the quality/knowledge/skill of various tuner shops. Also keep an eye out for shops that will actually warranty their work; they're few and far between but most that will stick their neck out are confident in their ability to deliver. And they're like to charge a decent amount too. Most of the time, you get what you pay for- but quality shops like that will have a solid reputation that I'm sure some folks on this board will be able to vouch for.

I actually don't have any plans at all on modding my car at the moment so I haven't done the research, but just a cursory search led me to these guys very close to me in Hanover, MD, AtSpeed:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310445

Depending where you're at in Virginia, Hanover might be a justifiable distance if these guys are noticeably better than your local shops. I just came from an STI, and I wouldn't go anywhere other than IAG and I had a ~45 minute drive to Westminster every time I needed to do something. Also might want to plan in some lead-time... high quality shops tend to form queues very quickly and it could be several weeks before you'll be able to get in.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 03:13 PM   #3
TillyM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M4 Xdrive  [9.83]
2016 MINI JCW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
Most "tuner" shops should definitely be able to handle simple mod installs such as exhaust, intake, etc., and will likely have suppliers that can get them the parts you want. In many/most cases buying through a shop is likely to cost more than what you could get directly, other than shipping cost considerations, but some shops might be hesitant to install anything but their own-sourced parts.

I highly recommend a skilled, reputable shop that specializes in the type of vehicle you are modding to do anything beyond very simple upgrades (e.g., headwork, fuel system, turbo upgrades, custom tuning, even header installs). Your mileage may vary widely with the quality/knowledge/skill of various tuner shops. Also keep an eye out for shops that will actually warranty their work; they're few and far between but most that will stick their neck out are confident in their ability to deliver. And they're like to charge a decent amount too. Most of the time, you get what you pay for- but quality shops like that will have a solid reputation that I'm sure some folks on this board will be able to vouch for.

I actually don't have any plans at all on modding my car at the moment so I haven't done the research, but just a cursory search led me to these guys very close to me in Hanover, MD, AtSpeed:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310445

Depending where you're at in Virginia, Hanover might be a justifiable distance if these guys are noticeably better than your local shops. I just came from an STI, and I wouldn't go anywhere other than IAG and I had a ~45 minute drive to Westminster every time I needed to do something. Also might want to plan in some lead-time... high quality shops tend to form queues very quickly and it could be several weeks before you'll be able to get in.
Great info !! thanks for the input !!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 07:33 PM   #4
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

Check out NGP in Lorton, Chapman Autowerks and RRT Racing, both in Sterling
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 07:49 PM   #5
TillyM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M4 Xdrive  [9.83]
2016 MINI JCW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
Check out NGP in Lorton, Chapman Autowerks and RRT Racing, both in Sterling
been looking at RRT which has pretty good reputation. maybe I should give them a call. Thanks
Appreciate 0