THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Caring for and keeping M Sport steering wheel clean

08-28-2015, 10:35 AM   #1
Roman G
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: a few

Caring for and keeping M Sport steering wheel clean

I always make sure to have clean hands when touching the wheel, always try to make sure my hands are not sweaty. Yet somehow the wheel is now shiny and sticky at 9 and 3 o'clock position where I mostly keep my hands when driving like Ricky Bobby.

I use a wet microfiber clothe and wipe the wheel about once a week but it seems like that's not helping. I know it will never be like new with its soft matte touch leather but I want to get it back to as close as possible, part of the reason I got m sport is because of the steering wheel. I have never used any kind of leather care on the wheel as to not risk damaging it.

What product have you tried that works for our wheels? ( nappa leather I believe on our f22 2 series )

Again I mostly want that matte NON shiny look and touch, as close to the new as possible.

I searched f30 forums as well and some say that nothing more than a wet microfiber cloth is all that's needed.

Please help to find a product as I really want to restore the wheel? Maybe I should use some kind of moisturizer or some cleaner?

There is a BMW leather care set with UV protection - has anyone tried this on the leather wheel? Results?

Any other brands?

Thanks for any help.

on a side note, BMW interior cleaner has the most insatiable smell. Too bad it doesn't last long. Wish they made a car scent with this smell. It works really good too.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 11:43 AM   #2
eclipes
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i Msport

MF towel + Autogylm leather cleaner will help your situation. I have sweaty hands and i clean it weekly
Appreciate 1
Outrun64.50
      08-29-2015, 01:12 PM   #3
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

A damp towel with water! That's it. Anything else will give that shinny look neither of us want. But most importantly is keeping your hands free of oil and dirt. Yup if you want it to look new you have to be a little OCD.

Keeping the oils off is only one part of the equation. Your hands wear down the material and smooth it over. (Like anything) The only way to stop that from happening is to not use it. Lol unfortunately it's apart of the aging process.

Last edited by 2msport; 08-29-2015 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 0