E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > X5 E70 Rear Brakes

08-27-2015, 07:43 AM   #1
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

X5 E70 Rear Brakes

I realise this is the wrong forum but it's more active than most and i know some of you had/have X5s.

Just coming up for 5 years on my X5 and the rear brake sensor has pinged on.

Bit bizarre in that i haven't done the fronts yet. Is this common/normal or possible indicator of a seized calliper? Or just a function of the autohold feature and them fitting cheapy rear pads.

Also since i'm gonna have a go myself* i thought i'll do disks and pads. Anyone got any recommendations for what to use in terms of brand etc and where to buy from?

*I'll probably end up paying the wee kid in my street to do it once i've broken bits!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 05:38 AM   #2
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterS3 View Post
Just coming up for 5 years on my X5 and the rear brake sensor has pinged on.

Bit bizarre in that i haven't done the fronts yet. Is this common/normal or possible indicator of a seized calliper? Or just a function of the autohold feature and them fitting cheapy rear pads.
I was very surprised to find that I would be changing the back brakes on my e90 well before the fronts, something I'd never come across before, but I was told that it's because of the added use the back brakes get from TC
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 08:14 AM   #3
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
I was very surprised to find that I would be changing the back brakes on my e90 well before the fronts, something I'd never come across before, but I was told that it's because of the added use the back brakes get from TC
Thanks very much for that reply!! That makes sense. I've got 300bhp and heavy right foot so that would explain it!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 01:50 PM   #4
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
Very true I get asked this question quite a lot the rears as you say are used as part of the DTC system they are essentially constantly snapping away as required to reign in the power, the other thing you've got to factor in is that the pads are thinner than the fronts and the rear discs are also thinner as well compared with the front.

On the X5 side of things these like say the 7 series are very heavy on brakes as well as front suspension components like the tension struts the E70 X5 more so than the E53, but both do munch brakes, but if misterS3's run 5 years then I'm
      08-30-2015, 10:32 AM   #5
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
Very true I get asked this question quite a lot the rears as you say are used as part of the DTC system they are essentially constantly snapping away as required to reign in the power, the other thing you've got to factor in is that the pads are thinner than the fronts and the rear discs are also thinner as well compared with the front.

On the X5 side of things these like say the 7 series are very heavy on brakes as well as front suspension components like the tension struts the E70 X5 more so than the E53, but both do munch brakes, but if misterS3's run 5 years then I'm
I don't brake unnecessarily - i tend to lift off earlier. And i try to be more fluid with my driving. Something i learned (although being lazy already did) at CATDT training a few years back.

But i'll check the fronts when i'm doing the rears. Just ordered Mintex pads and a wear sensor for about £35.

I'll probably go something more fancy with discs for the front when they are needed.

Brake fluid needs done too. But i'm being chicken about doing that myself even though i bought an ezee bleed thing! I used to be the pedal presser for my dad when i was kid (most boring job in the world i remember) so wouldn't mind having one around if i have to resort to doing it that way.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 01:33 PM   #6
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I don't brake unnecessarily - i tend to lift off earlier. And i try to be more fluid with my driving. Something i learned (although being lazy already did) at CATDT training a few years back.

But i'll check the fronts when i'm doing the rears. Just ordered Mintex pads and a wear sensor for about £35.

I'll probably go something more fancy with discs for the front when they are needed.

Brake fluid needs done too. But i'm being chicken about doing that myself even though i bought an ezee bleed thing! I used to be the pedal presser for my dad when i was kid (most boring job in the world i remember) so wouldn't mind having one around if i have to resort to doing it that way.
Your driving style's obviously helped with the brakes longevity you've done damn well
      08-30-2015, 05:47 PM   #7
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
Your driving style's obviously helped with the brakes longevity you've done damn well
You know that the front brake wear sensor will ping on, on Monday now
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 03:52 AM   #8
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You know that the front brake wear sensor will ping on, on Monday now
Well don't brake then
      09-15-2015, 10:40 AM   #9
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Okay so i did the rear brakes today and realised there was no need to.

The warning error you get clearly states "Rear brakes worn - please replace" Now if i'd just reset that i'm sure i would have been fine. But instead i spent 4 hours doing the rear brakes because to replace the rear brake sensor (which i'd assumed had worn - and caused the warning) you have to remove part of the body work to get the rear wheel arch liner out. It's such a hassle. Nevermind the weight of the wheels etc and needing special jacking pads etc.

So when i get back in the car and start it, the light is still on and it hasn't reset itself. So i follow the instructions to reset the rear brakes and then i notice that it pings every 31,000 miles. Which is what i've just done!

This confirms my suspicions when i looked at the rear pads as i was taking them off that there was plenty of meat on them. But i haven't done brakes for 20 years and i thought i might as well do them as a part of my mid life crisis where i'm trying to do car DIY. And if the sensor was worn there must be a reason.......but with hindsight when i got the end of the sensor it looks fine.

So next time your car claims that your rear pads are worn - don't believe it. It's most likely a timed warning. Take a look at the pads and make a judgement call. The only thing i'd say is that you'd be better off replacing the pads every 30,000 miles for all it takes when compared to the hassle of removing the inner wheel arch liner (there are one time poppers i need to go buy now).

I guess the upside is that i didn't take it too a garage and pay a couple of hundred quid!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 07:28 AM   #10
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

i think the timed warning is yellow, the sensor wear warning is red?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 10:18 AM   #11
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn30d View Post
i think the timed warning is yellow, the sensor wear warning is red?
The warning i got was red. I haven't actually noticed a yellow warning ...that i can remember. I will keep an eye out for as the service indicator will be up next month. Luckily i took out the 5 year service plan so should get that free! Hopefully!!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 09:05 AM   #12
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Fair enough, when i had a broken sensor, i got a car lift symbol and the red handbrake light "(!)" stayed on.

Pads were new and resetting the service thing didnt make a difference.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 09:14 AM   #13
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn30d View Post
Fair enough, when i had a broken sensor, i got a car lift symbol and the red handbrake light "(!)" stayed on.

Pads were new and resetting the service thing didnt make a difference.
That's the warning i had. But when i looked at the sensor (after fishing it out the bin) it wasn't worn to any great extent.

I wish i'd tried resetting first. Obviously i will never know for sure if resetting would have sorted it.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 09:18 AM   #14
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I'll attach a photo of the old and new pads.

I enjoyed doing it as part of my learning how to do stuff again thing.

But i posted up because i wouldn't want anyone wasting money on changing stuff that wasn't needed.

As you can see there is plenty of pad left of the old pads.
Attached Images

Last edited by misterS3; 09-24-2015 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0