E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Roadtrip to Germany

08-21-2015, 01:14 PM   #1
e92liv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10

Roadtrip to Germany

Hi all looking for some help planning a trip to Germany, with the misses for roughly 7-9 nights in November

Any advice on where I should go/ what to see and where to stay? Im not asking for much help am I?

I'd like to see both Berlin & Munich, if possible, but as they are either ends of the country would it be better to just explore either the North or South of Germany in this trip, and maybe return another time to do the other?

Ideally I'd like to spend a few nights in Munich and Berlin, would like to stop by at the Nurburgring at some point - hopefully arrange a lap in a ring taxi (if it runs in November?), would like to visit a concentration camp, bmw museum in munich, drink lots of german beer, and see some of the country!

Never done this before… help?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 04:48 PM   #2
cb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

The Nurburgring will be closed in November.
Will you travel with your own car? If so Berlin is about 8h away from Calais and Munich about 9h.
Travelling from Berlin to Munich by car is about 5h.
So a lot of travelling for just 7-9 nights.
Both cities have their own charm. If you want to see a concentration camp there is one nearby Munich in Dachau. I think it is just about 30 minutes away from the city.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2015, 04:56 AM   #3
ed330D
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: E92 330D

It's mandatory to have winter tyres if there's ice, snow or slush. You should expect these conditions in Germany during November.

There's a fine for not having them fitted, which increases if you block the road, ie get stuck, or have an accident.

Plus if if you do get caught, you have to get winters fitted before you can continue your journey.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2015, 05:19 AM   #4
e92liv
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb View Post
The Nurburgring will be closed in November.
Will you travel with your own car? If so Berlin is about 8h away from Calais and Munich about 9h.
Travelling from Berlin to Munich by car is about 5h.
So a lot of travelling for just 7-9 nights.
Both cities have their own charm. If you want to see a concentration camp there is one nearby Munich in Dachau. I think it is just about 30 minutes away from the city.
Yes i'll be travelling in my own car. Im thinking of travelling Calais to Dusseldorf or Dortmund for a night. Then across to Berlin via few hour stopover in Hanover, or via a overnight in Hamburg. Spend two or three nights in Berlin before traveling down to Munich for two or three nights, via possible overnight in Leipzig. Then across and upto Nurbugring/Frankfurt for a night before travelling back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed330D View Post
It's mandatory to have winter tyres if there's ice, snow or slush. You should expect these conditions in Germany during November.

There's a fine for not having them fitted, which increases if you block the road, ie get stuck, or have an accident.

Plus if if you do get caught, you have to get winters fitted before you can continue your journey.
I'm still selecting my winter shoes but these will be fitted prior to the trip
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 05:24 AM   #5
xPETEZx
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Golf R

I have often wanted to drive to Germany as from there originally and still have lots of family up near Hamburg.

Yet every time I look, I just cant justify driving.
ITs about 8Hrs drive on the European side. Then there is the drive to the ferry or train and the cost and time of that.

In such a short time, you end up spending far too long driving.
In the end I always end up flying (for much less cost both time and money) and then renting something.

In your shoes, I would fly to either Munich or Berlin, then get the ICE high speed train from one to the other. (Not like shit trains here) Then if you want to drive and explore a bit more, perhaps hire a car for a few days either end.

Cheaper. Less stress. Less time wasted sitting on boring motorways.

Just my $0.02
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 06:04 AM   #6
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I've just done a 2 week driving tour around Germany. We visited friends in Berlin, Nurnberg and Ulm. If we were only going to one place we would have flown but the price for a family of four would have been prohibitive. Berlin is cheap to fly to, Nurnberg is expensive.

Calais to Berlin can be done in a day, it depends how comfortable you are with driving long distances. I did Sheffield to Berlin in one go which is 790 miles - in hindsight I would have stayed overnight in Calais - as it was I was very tired and needed caffeine pills and had to keep pulling over to get 10 mins shuteye.

Petrol/diesel is cheaper if you don't buy on the Autobahn, unsurprisingly.
You can't beat a traditional Biergarten with local specialities Currywurst in Berlin

Make sure you plan where to stay in advance, a Gasthaus cost us 300 euros for the week.
      08-25-2015, 06:22 AM   #7
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

If you are going from Munich to Frankfurt make sure you stop through Heidelberg. If you can, avoid Autobahn 5 in that area.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 08:10 AM   #8
e92liv
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPETEZx View Post
In such a short time, you end up spending far too long driving. In the end I always end up flying.. and then renting something.

In your shoes, I would fly to either Munich or Berlin, then get the ICE high speed train from one to the other. (Not like shit trains here) Then if you want to drive and explore a bit more, perhaps hire a car for a few days either end
Thanks for your reply Petez, If my plans were to just visit Berlin/Munich then I probably would fly and get the train between them, but in this trip I want to see much more than just those two cities, I like the flexibility of having a car to explore further afield, looks like our first night will now be in Cologne, giving us time to explore that city for an evening, see the cathedral and some of the old town

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishbosh View Post
Calais to Berlin can be done in a day, it depends how comfortable you are with driving long distances. I did Sheffield to Berlin in one go which is 790 miles - in hindsight I would have stayed overnight in Calais - as it was I was very tired and needed caffeine pills and had to keep pulling over to get 10 mins shuteye.

Petrol/diesel is cheaper if you don't buy on the Autobahn, unsurprisingly.
You can't beat a traditional Biergarten with local specialities Currywurst in Berlin

Make sure you plan where to stay in advance, a Gasthaus cost us 300 euros for the week.
Sheffield to Berlin in one go...? thats one hell of a drive! Yes i'll be booking accommodation in advance, once I've figured out my plan of where to go and for how long! Other than the two or three nights in both Berlin & Munich, all other stays will just be for the one night stay

Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany View Post
If you are going from Munich to Frankfurt make sure you stop through Heidelberg. If you can, avoid Autobahn 5 in that area.
Heidelberg is definitely on my list to visit, historic Gothic streets & a castle, whats not to like? Would you recommend staying there for an evening, or a daytime visit?
Avoid Autobahn 5, whys that?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 10:56 AM   #9
e92liv
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Has anyone used the BMW On Demand - Car Hire from BMW Munich? Can rent an M4 for €55 for an hour! Or an i8 for €100 an hour
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 04:39 PM   #10
kiel_dafo_kenyg_as
DIE ANTWOORD
Germany
Rep
Drives: 335d E92

Avoid the northern region. Avoid the capitols. Go south. Believe me.
      08-25-2015, 06:46 PM   #11
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Love driving in Europe especially Autobahn. Need to go in the 335D soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 02:12 AM   #12
Cero ceto
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d M Sport+

yes agree about avoiding the North; Bavaria is a MUST. I lived in Germany for 15 years whilst I was serving for queen and country and what a brilliant country it is. The German's love CARS, BEER and DIRTY women, What else does a man need in his life!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 05:16 AM   #13
e92liv
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteblue View Post
Avoid the northern region. Avoid the capitols. Go south. Believe me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSIIJAR View Post
yes agree about avoiding the North; Bavaria is a MUST. I lived in Germany for 15 years whilst I was serving for queen and country and what a brilliant country it is. The German's love CARS, BEER and DIRTY women, What else does a man need in his life!

Why's nobody like the Northern Region?

Cars Beers and Dirty Women
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 05:22 AM   #14
xPETEZx
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Golf R

Not sure why people say avoid the north. :wacko:

Hamburg is lovely, as is Lubeck, and many other towns and cities up that way.

Sure you cant beat the mountains down in Bavaria, but its still lovely.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 03:28 PM   #15
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92liv View Post
Heidelberg is definitely on my list to visit, historic Gothic streets & a castle, whats not to like? Would you recommend staying there for an evening, or a daytime visit?
Avoid Autobahn 5, whys that?
If the spouse is with, definitely an overnight. Hit the castle after dark and enjoy the view over the old town then head down and enjoy a bit of the night life in the walking zone.
Autobahn 5 sucks because of the construction and traffic jams.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 02:56 AM   #16
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Berlin is nice although in November it might be a bit murky! Lot's of things to do there

Franconia is also nice, Wurzburg, Nurnberg
      09-05-2015, 04:11 PM   #17
mjn77
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 LCI Jerez Black

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I've just come back from Germany, and all i can say is people don't hang around on the Autobahn! Nissan Micras and Renault Twingos doing a ton!

People were overtaking me until i was doing 140mph.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 03:49 AM   #18
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Yep, cruising at 100 and it seems you're only doing the average speed on the derestricted sections!

But I bet a lot more people pay attention when doing that speed too, you didn't see any/many accidents did you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjn77 View Post
I've just come back from Germany, and all i can say is people don't hang around on the Autobahn! Nissan Micras and Renault Twingos doing a ton!

People were overtaking me until i was doing 140mph.
      09-07-2015, 08:34 AM   #19
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Love the autobahn. Went a few years back in the 320d, really want to go in my 335d now
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 03:07 PM   #20
mjn77
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 LCI Jerez Black

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I saw no accidents in about 800 miles. Compared to France where i always see crashes. The French are shit at driving though.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 01:59 PM   #21
e92liv
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Can anyone explain these Low Emission Zones 'LEZ' that german cities have? apparently all vehicles require a green sticker to prove they conform to the emission regs?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 04:30 AM   #22
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
The green sticker is an Umweltplakette and it costs about 12 euros or so if you buy it from a TUV garage while over there. It applies to all cars including foreign ones. You need it for many city centres but if you aren't bothering to actually drive into the centre then you don't need one. If the police catch you without a sticker while in a LEZ then expect a fine!

You would need to take your V5C document and the garage would write you a sticker.