BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board    Where do you buy your quality diamonds?

08-14-2015, 05:02 PM   #1
casper83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i XDrive

Where do you buy your quality diamonds?

Seems like all the local places (Kenosha & Milwaukee, WI) don't have what I'm looking for in the store. Too yellow, not a great cut, etc.

The following would be minimum requirements on a GIA rating scale:

Size: .90 ct
Color: F
Cut: Excellent (ideal)
Clarity: SI1

I know there is a lot more that goes into diamonds than the specs, you really need to see it and there are other categories like scintillation to think about. I'm really looking to see if anyone has recommendations for a quality source that offers good pricing.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 05:24 PM   #2
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

I know a guy that knows a guy that can get blood diamonds and they are top notch....as long as you don't mind the source.

Kidding....who's the diamond for?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 06:29 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I read the book 'Diamonds The Antoinette Matlins Buying Guide' and bought a 10X loupe.
Casper83, have you read that or a similar book? Owning a loupe and observing diamonds your family may have is really informative - when you see a few inclusions and flaws you quickly learn.
An appraisal from an independent gemologist from a purchase at Tiffany or Costco. I do recall misleading ads from local diamond sellers in my area so there is some truth that established higher end retailers are safer even with a premium price ( free cleaning etcetera )
And there is the widely reported story from a decade ago of the Saudi Prince who paid dearly for a gem from a regarded New York diamond district shop and his private gemologist at home revealed he was scammed.

http://jewishbusinessnews.com/2015/0...diamond-fraud/

Last edited by overcoil; 08-14-2015 at 06:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 07:01 PM   #4
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper83 View Post
Seems like all the local places (Kenosha & Milwaukee, WI) don't have what I'm looking for in the store. Too yellow, not a great cut, etc.

I know there is a lot more that goes into diamonds than the specs, you really need to see it and there are other categories like scintillation to think about. I'm really looking to see if anyone has recommendations for a quality source that offers good pricing.

Thanks.
Based on experience i can say Adiamor in los angeles is probably the best in selection, quality and price. Customer service is fantastic. They only do GIA. Check them out before you decide.

Btw, looks like you got your 4Cs right. Cut is number 1, followed by color...
      08-14-2015, 07:09 PM   #5
CANGRKE70
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

I know you're quite far from Toronto, but I have a jeweler here that I buy jewelry, stones and watches from. He's always been fair and I've had the stones appraised by others and have checked out exactly as advertised. Together the owner Angelo and I created my wife's engagement ring, and he was awesome throughout the process.

www.gentejewellery.com/

He would carry the below standards and well above.

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 07:17 PM   #6
direwolfM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:

Thanks.
Check out jeweler's row in chicago. You'll find what your looking for.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 09:45 PM   #7
funbobbyrob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

I've bought several high quality ones from these guys. If nothing else the info on the site is the best I've ever seen online. 100 times more info than blue nile on any of their in house diamonds. I've been in some of the districts in NYC and abroad and I still go here because unless you're an expert you have to really trust the seller. Here they give you every data point and then some so nothing to hide and tons of high quality hearts and arrows or other cuts.

http://www.goodoldgold.com
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 12:00 AM   #8
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Try bluenile.com.

They have the largest selection I've seen and I liked the diamond better than Tiffany. I wanted an E color, ideal cut, and flawless and Tiffany only had an F, VVS1. Also slightly overpriced at Tiffany. Debeers was decent but I was more impressed with Blue Niles selection because they even had polish, fluorescence, and symmetry stats to choose.

They have extremely hard to find diamonds like D color, Flawless, and signature cuts.

In th end, diamonds are a commodity. All of bluenile diamonds come with GIA certification of the specs and even another certification for the higher end signature ideal cuts.

There are some subtleties if you see one in person, but they are all the same at a certain point.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 12:19 AM   #9
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

Similar to above, I've bought from James Allen and was extremely satisfied with the whole process, and of course the stone. Don't rule out buying online. Check either Blue Nile or James Allen, they have very high def shots of all their stones with full reports on every aspect of them. It's so easy to filter down to exactly what your looking for. They are all certified by either GIA or one other highly respected gem institute (forget the name). Can't really go wrong if you have that cert. They will also take it back within a certain period of time if you have any issues or dislikes. It's certainly at the very least worth price matching with similar stones you find at brick and mortar places. From my experience they came in way under local shops in my area. Plus if you can ship to a state with no sales tax it's redic savings.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 12:51 AM   #10
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Just to add - Blue Nile is publicly traded (NASDAQ: NILE) and totally and completely stands behind all of their jewelry. I have been very happy with them and even has no issues returning for re-sizing.

Blue Nile has access to a huge network of diamonds and their signature ideals are held in house.

Here is an example of one they are selling.

Good luck finding that at most brick and mortar stores.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD01407598
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 06:20 AM   #11
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolfM3 View Post
Check out jeweler's row in chicago. You'll find what your looking for.
Exactly. Everybody is marking up, you want the guy who is willing to talk to you with no hype, less markup.

And please, never, ever, get a stone without a GIA report.

Oh it's a rip off for sure, you just want them to use some KY and be nice about it. Also, I heard girls want 1.5 ct min nowadays. True, they don't know the quality, but you do.

F minimum, VS1 minimum. No SI. Ideal is not necessary unless you're Jada Smith.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 06:23 AM   #12
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Just to add - Blue Nile is publicly traded (NASDAQ: NILE) and totally and completely stands behind all of their jewelry. I have been very happy with them and even has no issues returning for re-sizing.

Blue Nile has access to a huge network of diamonds and their signature ideals are held in house.

Here is an example of one they are selling.

Good luck finding that at most brick and mortar stores.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD01407598
I took their pricing and asked locals on jewel ers row to match. You bet, 5 asked me to leave (it's a nasty racket).

One said sure with GIA report, it's no secret. The price I was asking for is wholesale plus 25%. Others are closer to 40% or more when not GIA.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 08:43 AM   #13
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

Blue Nile actually has a store in the mall near me now.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 09:23 AM   #14
jaco
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 SSII

I also recommend Blue Nile.

I used them for the wife's ring. They actually called me to tell me one of the diamonds I selected had been drilled to fake the shimmer or something. Upgraded me to a better one for free for her side stones.

2015 Chevy SS In
2011 E90 M3 DCT SSII Out
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 11:13 AM   #15
BavarianDevil
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Silverstone/Beige

47th Street Diamond Exchange in NYC. I don't even live close to NYC but the savings on high end large diamonds more then make up the travel expenses. If you live on the East Coast check them out. Only place to buy > 1 carat stones.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 11:36 AM   #16
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

My wife is wearing the diamond you are looking for.

Blue nile ftw.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 12:13 PM   #17
casper83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i XDrive

Thanks for all the responses.

I considered heading to Chicago to jewelers row. I've heard quite a few stories about crooked deals down there though.

Spent the last bit looking at diamonds on Blue Nile. Good selection, but my mind keeps going back to the huge differences I saw in person at the stores for similarly spec'd diamonds. Seems like their signature series is a pretty safe bet though. If nothing else I can return it within 30 days. It's a good point that it's a publicly traded company too.

I think I'll take a look at James Allen and then pull the trigger.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 04:24 PM   #18
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:

Thanks.
To answer your primary question -- James Allen if you are going to buy without seeing the stone(s) in advance. In the D.C. area, I've bought diamonds from Mervis (they have a stone roughly meeting your requirements right now -- http://www.mervisdiamond.com/diamond...-94835501.html).

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 04:50 PM   #19
Zitdoc
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3

Diamonds

Try Koerbers Jewelry
They're in Indiana
Check out their website
Even if u don't buy from them you can see their prices
They handle a lot of insurance claims so their prices are listed right on the Internet
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 06:24 PM   #20
shadowchief
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428I Blk Sapphire Red Coral

adiamor diamonds

highly recommended purchased 1.5 emerald cut d did flawless there was amazing u pick the stone and the setting gets to u in a couple days. have photos.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 09:36 PM   #21
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses.

I considered heading to Chicago to jewelers row. I've heard quite a few stories about crooked deals down there though.

Spent the last bit looking at diamonds on Blue Nile. Good selection, but my mind keeps going back to the huge differences I saw in person at the stores for similarly spec'd diamonds. Seems like their signature series is a pretty safe bet though. If nothing else I can return it within 30 days. It's a good point that it's a publicly traded company too.

I think I'll take a look at James Allen and then pull the trigger.
Blue Nile signature series are better than Tiffany, imo.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 11:11 PM   #22
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Wish my dad was still alive... He was a GIA certified gemologist.
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0