R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

07-29-2015, 11:24 AM   #1
roders
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0D MSport F25

$16k Pricedrop on M3/M4 + extra standard option :(

Hi all

As most have heard, big price drop today announced for Australia.
Up to $20k if you value the new standard options :
Led headlights
Head Up
Full Marino
Lane Departure
TPM
Internet/Realtime traffic

Anyone who just took delivery in the last few months?
Any tokens given from their dealer as a sorry or sign of good faith?

Good news for those yet to purchase....
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 01:25 PM   #2
Joey13
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 Azurite Black M4

I am Absolutely livid. I picked up my new M4 in October 2014. Sapphire black with nearly all options. I am furious to see BMW Australia effectively take $25k off the value of my vehicle overnight (when you consider options). Normal depreciation is a fact of life. We all accept that but M3s have been quite predictable and generally held sound resales. Massive discounting is something Holden and Ford would usually do. This is an unusual and almost unprecedented strategy for BMW Australia especially so soon after a new model launch (Merc, Audi etc are also hesitant to openly slice a major amount off a model etc) as they are usually discount through unofficial and unpublicised "clawback" discounts (ie the car may be priced at $170k on road but factory incentives allow a case by case factory funded discount of say $8k or whatever to the dealer to allow a point of sale discount or discreetly adding options to improve value but in a manner that the general market is somewhat sheltered and resale values are preserved. They do this to maintain customer loyalty and naturally stronger resales allow customers to upgrade more easily. Also strategies such as the stripped down cheaper "pure" editions helped the market maintain value for full spec vehicles while allowing BMW to move some stock towards the later part of the E92 M3s life.

This recent move is a slap in the face for anyone who has purchased a new M3/M4 in the last 12 months and unless BMW Australia provides a financial compensation for those effected this will result in loss of future sales and loss of the very coveted long term repeat customers. I wait to see what their response will be...
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2015, 04:49 PM   #3
Hazey82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Comp

I feel for those that have recently purchased but I'm in the market so I'm stoked.

Something is not making sense though. The base price dropped from 156 to 134
I remember the website driveway price being 169 for M3 and 179 for M4. When I check now I can see the new base prices but the driveway is still the same. Am I missing something.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 04:58 PM   #4
AM4ZING
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 MW/SO 6MT, E46 M3 AW/IR 6MT

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Do those numbers equate to US Dollars?
      07-29-2015, 05:01 PM   #5
rr006rbc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM4ZING View Post
Do those numbers equate to US Dollars?
I think their rates are about 25% more than ours. So our $1 is like $1.25 to them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey13 View Post
I am Absolutely livid. I picked up my new M4 in October 2014. Sapphire black with nearly all options. ...
As you should be
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 05:53 PM   #6
deplaya
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: YMB/SO M3, SS/BLK TL

When are we going to get this type of price drop in the US?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 07:14 PM   #7
MrMoo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50i

If anyone does get a BMW response via their CA or from BMW Australia itself can you please post it on this forum just so everyone can try to see what kind of offers dealers are willing to give to keep customers happy.

Whether it be free services or even OEM Parts. Any of those would be enough for me to forgive them.

It would be insulting if nothing was offered though. Joey13 is 100% Correct, do it behind closed doors. A huge public advertisement is just uncalled for, unless M3 M4 sales are legitimately suffering in which case they were overpriced to begin with and BMW just gouged first time buyers.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 07:26 PM   #8
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Merc is flogging them atm, the new 63S has the same numbers as their old 507 edition at base car pricing. It's the same thing done with their A/CLA/GLA AMG cars, they smashed the opposition cause Audi, S3 and BMW M135 price drops and increased standard inclusions.

Blame Merc, they started this.

Porsche did it 2 years ago, across their range, pissed off many who were $30+k out of pocket.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 07:47 PM   #9
MrMoo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine* View Post
Merc is flogging them atm, the new 63S has the same numbers as their old 507 edition at base car pricing. It's the same thing done with their A/CLA/GLA AMG cars, they smashed the opposition cause Audi, S3 and BMW M135 price drops and increased standard inclusions.

Blame Merc, they started this.

Porsche did it 2 years ago, across their range, pissed off many who were $30+k out of pocket.
I wouldn't blame Merc. They are simply producing the best product they can, BMW is also doing the best they can.

In all online head to head reviews they have been very evenly matched. There is no clear winner at the moment.

You know what puts a negative spotlight on the M3 and makes the C63S seem like the better car? When BMW drops the price by 10% and gives $10,000 worth of options for free.

I did also notice the M3 is cheaper than the C63S in every country, so one can also argue that BMW just ripped us off in the first year and a half when there was on competition in the market and the market has just corrected itself.

BMW is to blame here.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 08:48 PM   #10
matts325i
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Carrera S

I picked up my M4 late last week. Although I did receive a discount, I can tell you I'm less than impressed as it does not come close to covering the depreciation we've all experienced overnight. I immediately fired off an email to the dealer, but I don't think I'm going to see much action there - this has come from head office and that is where we need to direct our feedback.

Anyone have contacts at head office? If not I'll just call the main number and ask for the most relevant person to talk to.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 08:51 PM   #11
Hazey82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Comp

It's quite simple really car was overpriced to begin with but as a whole we have known for a long time us Aussies get bent over on price compared to other her countries and then you have the LCT. But we kept buying them so really it's the buyer that's to blame. Maybe people have too much money and don't care. Unfortunately I'm not in that category.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 08:51 PM   #12
MrMoo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts325i View Post
Having picked up my M4 last week, and although I did receive a discount I can tell you I'm less than impressed as it does not come close to covering the depreciation we've all experienced overnight. I immediately fired off an email to the dealer, but I don't think I'm going to see much action there - this has come from head office and that is where we need to direct our feedback.

Anyone have contacts at head office? If not I'll just call the main number and ask for the most relevant person to talk to.
No contacts here, only my dealership. To be honest, i don't expect much compensation for us who received our vehicle months if not a year ago. Having said that you actually have a good shot at getting something if you picked yours up last week. I feel particularly bad for you =(

Good luck! Keep us posted
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 08:54 PM   #13
matts325i
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoo View Post
You know what puts a negative spotlight on the M3 and makes the C63S seem like the better car? When BMW drops the price by 10% and gives $10,000 worth of options for free.
Couldn't have said it better myself!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 09:07 PM   #14
matts325i
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quick update, anyone who is in my position having very recently purchased an M3/M4 please call BMW on 133269 , they tell me that they are taking peoples details and determining what the next course of action is for customers in our position.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 09:12 PM   #15
MrMoo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quick update, anyone who is in my position having very recently purchased an M3/M4 please call BMW on 133269 , they tell me that they are taking peoples details and determining what the next course of action is for customers in our position.
How recent is recent? lol :P

Edit:

I called anyway, I took delivery in January this year. Obviously no outcome as of yet. They will supposedly contact me when an decision has been made. I won't hold my breath but i will wait and follow up at a later date.

The lady I spoke to on the phone did say "ideally you would like the full discount to be passed onto you?" Is this even possible? Any ways I was unprepared for this line of questioning so i just said whatever BMW Australia decides is best for all its customers.

I do encourage others to ring and give their details, even if it was not a recent purchase, more the merrier and more likely everyone gets a little bit back.

Last edited by MrMoo; 07-29-2015 at 09:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 09:49 PM   #16
Joey13
Private
Rep

I don't want to speak for others just yet but it may be worth considering the strength in numbers approach. I personally will not settle for a few grand and a t shirt. I want the full discount and nothing less. Although all are free to act on their own I would urge those effected not to settle for anything less than the full discount. Remember who you are and how hard you work for your money to own these cars. Keep in mind a person who owns a relatively new m3 or M4 is a valuable long term customer for BMW. Unless they handle this correctly they risk a PR disaster and potentially millions in future lost revenue.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 12:10 AM   #17
slowie
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 428i, Sahara

Quote:
I just rang the number, I too was told that they are putting names forward and will hopefully get a responce back in the next few days, lets hope and see what they come back with??????
      07-30-2015, 12:20 AM   #18
matts325i
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey13 View Post
I don't want to speak for others just yet but it may be worth considering the strength in numbers approach. I personally will not settle for a few grand and a t shirt. I want the full discount and nothing less. Although all are free to act on their own I would urge those effected not to settle for anything less than the full discount. Remember who you are and how hard you work for your money to own these cars. Keep in mind a person who owns a relatively new m3 or M4 is a valuable long term customer for BMW. Unless they handle this correctly they risk a PR disaster and potentially millions in future lost revenue.
I'd agree, how about owners that are affected pm me their email addresses and we will correspond directly. I don't feel comfortable with us all having this discussion on a public forum right now for obvious reasons.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 03:13 AM   #19
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

I picked up my car over a year ago now so there is no chance of them doing anything for me I'm guessing.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 03:22 AM   #20
Joey13
Private
Rep

Matts325i I would agree that we must be a little careful discussing all things too openly. It is a high stakes situation
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 04:11 AM   #21
Wobba
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
I picked up my car over a year ago now so there is no chance of them doing anything for me I'm guessing.
I faced a similar scenario 4 years ago. If you bought at close to list (which very few do) then they'll be somewhat sympathetic. If, on the other hand, you bought your car with a decent discount, they'll likely argue that you already benefited by way of the discount. I was recently looking to upgrade my E92 M3 to an M4, but held off given that the new C63 is on the horizon. I'm interested to see how this pans out.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 04:24 AM   #22
Damoo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 MY16 MG

I feel really sorry for the current Aus owners and for an hour I had a heart attacking until I went back through my contract.

I am due to pick up my car in 2 weeks. But what I can say after reading this and when I ordered my car in June I negotiated a discount with BMW and as a result my purchase price is substantially less then the $179k drive away with all those options plus a few more (black wheels, heated steering wheel, driving ass, black grille, black side markers) I also think mine will be one of the first MY16 updates in the country, but we are not sure just yet.

When I did order BMW told me about a factory discount which was unofficially on offer because of the AMG.

Again, just sharing. But feel really sorry for the current owners.
Appreciate 0