E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335i ZF 6AT "Snap" during shifts

02-20-2008, 01:43 PM   #1
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Corvette Grand Sport

335i ZF 6AT "Snap" during shifts

one of the major differences between my previous '01 330i 5AT and the 335i 6AT i test drove was the snap between shifts. i really love the more direct/responsive feel during shifts... kinda like a snap (but in a good way).

so my question for those with 335i 6AT (specifically the ZF) has this snap turned to slush after 50+k miles or some hard flogging? has it changed at all? how has piggybacks/tunes affected this, if at all?

the reason i ask is because my 330i's 5AT shifts has turned to slush after about 60k miles. i have never changed to transmission fluid since bmw claims it was "lifetime".
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 02:43 PM   #2
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Hard driving and power mods can cause the torque converter to slip more than usual. Simply put, more power = more wear and tear even if the parts can handle the power. Just take it easy on your car and only flog it when your really "need" it.

Also, it could be just normal wear cycle of the that tranny. I don't have an auto so I can't really tell you, but there are several people here who have autos and might be able to comment on how they shift after 50k mi.

I went to a Bridgestone driving event where we were merciless on the cars. Full throttle to full braking and power sliding for the whole day is what these cars went through. The e46's killed their tranny anywhere between 8k and 10k and some where never even replaced. But the Chevy Impalas started to slip the torque converter after one day of abuse.

Marcelo
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0