F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Leasing from out of state dealer
proTUNING Freaks

07-23-2015, 06:02 PM   #1
andrew777
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i alpine white

Leasing from out of state dealer

I'm looking to lease a 328i with the M Sport package, Xenon headlights, and not much else (which doesn't exist in NJ unless it's a loaded 53-55k car), and I had a few questions as each out of state dealer is giving me all types of bull about taxes.

Anyway, I've found a few 328i's that fit my needs. M Sport, Xenon headlights, and usually nav or driver assist. That means the MSRP is about $47-48k, and most of the dealers are offering around $5k off invoice which is pretty good.

My problem is that out of the 3 dealers I've called, all have someone managed to create insane additional fees. Some just say the MF is .0017 and won't negotiate. One other marked up the dmv, acquisition etc (995 acquisition which is a $200 mark-up, $300 dealer processing, and $600 for title, etc). Not terrible, but they also somehow calculated taxes at around $400 more than what I did.

The next dealer, which didn't mark anything up told me there's an additional "out of state tax". The client services guy was also surprised, but his manager said that it's an NJ tax on the sale price of the car and wanted like $3k down at signing for this. I can't find anything about this, and it seems to be killing what would be a great deal. Is there anything I can do here? I'm just getting really frustrated as all of these dealers are playing games. Should I call BMW FS?

One other thing that happened. I found a third dealer that had a loaner car with 6k miles on it. $7500 off msrp, which is great. He said the residual however would be 62% instead of 65%, and I have to pay for the miles. WTF? How does that make sense. I told him I can take it at 65% and just deduct the miles from my allowance. Again, they were like no way.
      07-24-2015, 12:02 AM   #2
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

I'm not sure how a lease works for a vehicle that already has miles, though it sounds suspicious you'd be initiating a lease 6k miles in the hole.

I don't know what the NJ law is, but generally if you buy out of state, you will need to pay the sales tax when you register the car in your own state. (Otherwise everyone would buy cars in Delaware.) "Out of state tax" is either a misunderstanding or complete BS.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 06:14 AM   #3
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

OP, I was in a similar situation, just got my car (lease) delivered from California (I am in Dallas). Can give you more details.
$0 fees
They paid the TX tax and rolled it into my payment
MF = 0.00129
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 09:30 AM   #4
elbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I guess it varies from dealer to dealer.I was getting quotes from 3 dealers in CA,one of them said they don't sell to non residents,the other two were OK with it
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 10:49 AM   #5
andrew777
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr335is View Post
OP, I was in a similar situation, just got my car (lease) delivered from California (I am in Dallas). Can give you more details.
$0 fees
They paid the TX tax and rolled it into my payment
MF = 0.00129
Well, they have rolled the NJ tax into my payment, but are saying there's an additional 7% on the sale price. That's what I don't get.
Here's what they've told me so far...
MSRP- $47,450
Sale Price- $37,105
Residual- 62% (accounting for 6500 miles)
MF- .00095 (7MSD)
They calculated taxes of around $700, which sounds right, and rolled those into the monthly.
$347/month and around $5900 drive off (including the MSD)

The scam is in the drive-off costs. They should be 4k, maybe 4.5k tops. The monthly is also inflated, but they're saying it's all due to an additional $2,700ish for sales tax because I'm out of state.
      07-24-2015, 02:30 PM   #6
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

I lived in NY at the time and got my car from NJ.........and as far as i know i only paid NY sales tax, not NJ.

I dont remember the number breakdown, i have to find my paperwork
      07-24-2015, 02:35 PM   #7
Tomahawk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328I MSport

you pay whatever the state that you register the car in charges. Everystate is different. Most states only charge normal tax on the payment, not the price of the car. Some states are reciprocal to others some arent. If your dealer is reciprocal to your state then they can collect the taxes, if not you pay out of pocket when you get home. AS far as dealer fees go they can vary widely. Some states regulate them (NJ) some dont (FL)
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 04:54 PM   #8
andrew777
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
you pay whatever the state that you register the car in charges. Everystate is different. Most states only charge normal tax on the payment, not the price of the car. Some states are reciprocal to others some arent. If your dealer is reciprocal to your state then they can collect the taxes, if not you pay out of pocket when you get home. AS far as dealer fees go they can vary widely. Some states regulate them (NJ) some dont (FL)
I'm almost positive that NJ only charges tax on the depreciation. They don't tax me on the MF.
The thing is they're calculating that tax and rolling it into the lease, but claiming there's another 7% tax on the sale price?
Can I just tell them I'll take the car and refuse to pay that tax? If I show up can I contact BMW FS if they try to make me pay it?
      07-24-2015, 07:29 PM   #9
Tomahawk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328I MSport

if they are calling something a tax, then some government agency is asking for it. They have to tell you where that is going.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 06:18 AM   #10
EJL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew777 View Post
I'm looking to lease a 328i with the M Sport package, Xenon headlights, and not much else (which doesn't exist in NJ unless it's a loaded 53-55k car), and I had a few questions as each out of state dealer is giving me all types of bull about taxes.

Anyway, I've found a few 328i's that fit my needs. M Sport, Xenon headlights, and usually nav or driver assist. That means the MSRP is about $47-48k, and most of the dealers are offering around $5k off invoice which is pretty good.
I know you are going to get a good deal on a loaner, but why don't you order the car you want if you can't find it on the lot? It doesn't take that long.

Also, NJ sales tax has a .4% bump on all cars 45k and up. That wouldn't explain 3000, but it adds a little bit.
Appreciate 0