R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

07-20-2015, 10:31 PM   #1
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Optimal Acceleration w/o Launch Control

So - after having this car for almost a year and 16k miles - the rush I get from this car's brutal acceleration still has not gotten old (love that flat and precise cornering too)!

Anyway, I've been trying to find "ideal" settings to use for optimal acceleration, depending upon whether or not I want to minimize wheelspin. Here are my thoughts thus far:

1) Maximum Rate of Acceleration with Minimal Wheelspin: A great combination of settings that I like for max acceleration in 1st/2nd gear while simultaneously minimizing wheel spin (whether or not during shifts) is:

Throttle: Sport
EDC: Comfort
Drivelogic: S1.

2) "Fun" Acceleration - Still very Quick/Some Wheelspin: My favorite "fun" acceleration combination (where I don't care quite as much about wheelspin) is:

Throttle: Sport+ (to get best sound from exhaust)
EDC: Comfort
Drivelogic: S2

(With S3 max throttle, the shifts are so firm that the DSC in full or MDM mode will cut power during the first couple of shifts - S2 gives you the chirp of the tires with only a small amount of wheelspin and very little if any cutting of power while in full traction control or MDM mode).

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 11:00 PM   #2
Defense
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP, 2018 X4

Still trying to figure this out. If you mash the pedal, the car revs until about 3300, then dumps the clutch, and the tires light up. Try to stall up the Rams by pressing the pedal and brake together, and the clutch engages immediately and bogs the engine. Still working on mashing pedal then pulling off 1/4 to limit slip after clutch engages at 3400. LC at 2600 on a clean street/track still the best method.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 11:12 PM   #3
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
I'd say DSC off, Engine in Sport+ and DCT in S3. I lightly dab the throttle to get the clutch to engage and then mash the throttle to blast off.

That kick in the butt with every upshift just rocks

There is only one way to fully appreciate the fury of the S55, and that is with DSC off. Be ready to catch it though .

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 07:07 AM   #4
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I'd say DSC off, Engine in Sport+ and DCT in S3. I lightly dab the throttle to get the clutch to engage and then mash the throttle to blast off.

That kick in the butt with every upshift just rocks

There is only one way to fully appreciate the fury of the S55, and that is with DSC off. Be ready to catch it though .
Need some advice please. When you say DSC off: DSC off and MDM off ? The user guide is so confusing. My default M2 setting all S+ required that I confirm, meaning DSC and MDM are off ? In that mode, I found for my limited driving skills, that the tail comes out easily, yes it's fun and scary...

When I had DSC ON, S+/S3 and tried to mash the throttle, DSC intervened often :, can you please explain "light dab"? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 07:36 AM   #5
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
Need some advice please. When you say DSC off: DSC off and MDM off ? The user guide is so confusing. My default M2 setting all S+ required that I confirm, meaning DSC and MDM are off ? In that mode, I found for my limited driving skills, that the tail comes out easily, yes it's fun and scary...

When I had DSC ON, S+/S3 and tried to mash the throttle, DSC intervened often :, can you please explain "light dab"? Thanks
I have to agree, the indication lights in the cluster make it a little confusing. MDM is essentially a higher threshold mode of the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC). In MDM, DSC is still active, just with higher limits, so DSC off implies you are not in MDM either. However, when in MDM, there is a light in the cluster that says "DSC off", which is not really accurate.

So yes, to truly appreciate the fury of the S55, you need to have it all off. You need to be conscious of the additional risk though and be ready to catch the rear if it steps out (and likely will).

What I mean by light dab, is a slight push on the accelerator to engage "creep" mode. Same as when you are in traffic or parking and want the car to move forward slightly. This gets DCT to start engaging the clutch. You can then aggresivlely roll on the throttle without getting a clutch dump and resulting burnout.

I also found that Euro MDM is so much better than the North-American-MDM. With the NA-MDM, it would cut power on every upshift. With Euro-MDM you get much smoother acceleration.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 08-09-2015 at 10:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 08:03 AM   #6
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I have to agree, the indication lights in the cluster make it a little confusing. MDM is essentially a higher threshold mode of the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC). In MDM, DSC is still active, just with higher limits, so DSC off implies you are not in MDM either. However, when in MDM, there is a light in the cluster that says "DSC off", which is not really accurate.

I also found that Euro MDM is so much better than the North-American-MDM. With the NA-MDM, it would cut power on every upshift. With Euro-MDM you get much smoother acceleration.
Thank you for the detailed explanations, I went to the car and played w all the settings and w your help I get it.

- Pic 1 shows the lights for MDM and "DSC off", in this mode MDM still intervenes, so for a novice driver it's better to keep this for some fun and some security.

-Pic 2 shows and additional text at bottom right of cluster where all safety electronics are disabled, a mode for instructors and experts such as yourself

Now that I get all this, even w MDM I found myself like riding a bull in a rodeo I need me some class time and practice at an M school. My wife said why is the car so unstable I said, honey, I need to learn how to ride this beast.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 08:04 AM   #7
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Pic 2: DSC off

All off.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 09:16 PM   #8
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

"Code" the car to have euro mdm instead of North America mdm
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 09:57 PM   #9
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
"Code" the car to have euro mdm instead of North America mdm
Oh I am already in trouble w just US MDM, I know it's more fun but I will pass until I am more confident w this beast.
Appreciate 0