E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 335d possible purchase - need some figures

02-18-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
Sales@Evolve
Rep
Drives: Slow

335d possible purchase - need some figures

Hi guys,

coming to this forum has re-ignited some feelings I've been getting after 335d's have been coming in for some work.

Those feelings are - 'What a damn good car this is even if I'm not sold on the looks 100%'

I was so blown away with the power even before a remap that I want one.

What really done it was that a remapped 335d was slightly quicker than our modified Z3M Coupe point to point and most definately quicker than my own E34 M5 3.8.

Unfortunately I never got the chance to drive these cars on my regular test route, so some questions -

1) What kind of real world fuel economy are you getting on motorway crusing (I do 100 miles a day)?

2) What do the sport models handle like and more importantly how well balanced are they around fast sweeping bends?

3) How much grip do they have?

4) Does the interior rattle and sqeak?....if so how much?

5) Overall build quality?

6) Overall driveability?

Thanks in advance!

Sal
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 01:39 AM   #2
ChrisMWard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 320d M Sport, E81 116d SE

Garage List
2006 120d SE  [0.00]
2007 335d A M Sport  [0.00]
1998 M3 Evo  [0.00]
2002 330d Sport  [0.00]
2004 330d Sport  [0.00]
Hi Sal

We have an 07 plate e90 335d M Sport. In answer to your questions:

1. We average around 34MPG. Four days a week the car does a 20 mile (each way) commute which includes about 3-4 miles in traffic and the rest at motorway speeds. Weekends is 20 miles all in traffic. When we go to Cornwall (300 mile each way) the MPG rises to 40.

2. Sport handling is good. We have had quite a few BMW sport models before including an M3. High speed balance is good. Not as agile as a smaller car on low speed bends.

3. I think all 335ds on 18" wheels have PS2 rubber and grip well. Obviously damp conditions and over excitement with the right foot will cause the DSC to intervene.

4. No rattles or squeaks so far.

5. Build quality seems fine. Haven't had to resort to the dealer with any issues.

6. Overall driveability is good but it will always be an auto and that will be a problem for some drivers. Personally I think big powerfull diesels are suited to to auto boxes. It's not an issue for us as my wife only drives autos now and she drives the car more than I do during the week.

Just my views and I'm sure there will be more with differing angles.

Regards

Chris
Previously: 2007 335D MSport E90 Le Mans Blue, 2004 330D A Sport Silver Grey, 2002 330D A Sport Saphire Black, 2001 320D SE Touring Titanium Silver, 1998 M3 Evo Techno Violet, 1996 328i Sport Montreal Blue, 1994 325i Coupe Red, 1989 325i Sport 2 door Dolphin Grey,1986 325i SE 4 door Lachs
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 03:29 AM   #3
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Hi Sal,

All 335d come with sport suspension and sports seats regardless.

The 19" rims with runflats are not to bad but if they are to much of a hassle over the bumps, retro-fitting of non-runflats does help considerably.

The build quality knocks the E46 for dead. So you will be impressed with that side of it.

MPG wise i drive fast all of the time, mostly town driving and with trips to Santa Pod etc and im averging 28.5mpg.

Have seen 40+ on a long run driving 80-90mph.

Have had it as low as 12mpg also haha.

It is a quick car, and very ''driveable'' knocks most cars on the road for six with its unbelievable performance, let alone the mid-range grunt.

Its probably the

''Fastest Real World Car'' of the current times!

I love mine to bits! who says diesel has no soul!

Carlos
      02-19-2008, 04:21 PM   #4
networkguy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D SE Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Hi Sal,

All 335d come with sport suspension and sports seats regardless.
Maybe on the E92 but the E90/91?

Don't think so.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 04:43 PM   #5
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Hi there Sal. My two penneth is:

1) MPG - best on motorway is 38 mpg but I do know 40+ is possible cruising at around 80 mph.

2) As Carlos said E92 335d has sports suspension as standard, still think the M sport is different. So based on mine, long sweeping bends keeping the power on are a breeze. Car sits squat and all that torque just pulls you through the bend.

3) Grip - typical rear wheel drive on slightly wet/greasy roads, back end can twitch a bit but driver aides cut in so what the hell. Overall grip is good, even on standard run flats.

4) I've got the dark poplar wood trim in mine and I've noticed now the temperatures have dropped one particular area of this trim is rattling a bit. As soon as the cabin warms up it stops so I've put it down to contraction/expansion.

5) Overall build quality is good. Does seem better screwed together than the E90 M sport I previously owned.

6) Now the best bits - absolutely effortless to drive. Smooth power delivery and all that torque, even more post re-map. Personally love the auto box but that's personal choice. IMO the best car for a variety of purposes including driving pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 04:46 PM   #6
Dr.Crap
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Pilot View Post
Hi guys,

coming to this forum has re-ignited some feelings I've been getting after 335d's have been coming in for some work.

Those feelings are - 'What a damn good car this is even if I'm not sold on the looks 100%'

I was so blown away with the power even before a remap that I want one.

What really done it was that a remapped 335d was slightly quicker than our modified Z3M Coupe point to point and most definately quicker than my own E34 M5 3.8.

Unfortunately I never got the chance to drive these cars on my regular test route, so some questions -

1) What kind of real world fuel economy are you getting on motorway crusing (I do 100 miles a day)?

2) What do the sport models handle like and more importantly how well balanced are they around fast sweeping bends?

3) How much grip do they have?

4) Does the interior rattle and sqeak?....if so how much?

5) Overall build quality?

6) Overall driveability?

Thanks in advance!

Sal
Are you talking about the saloon, touring or coupe?

Anyway to answer some questions

1. Dunno have'nt had it long enough

2. Well I used to be a hot hatch freak and I have to say this is the most balanced car I've driven with the exception of a 911 (a friend's) and I certainly would'nt drive that on a daily basis. You have loads of feel to the steering and plenty of confidence in the car.

3. Er lots - you need to buy an all out sports car for more grip that you can feel. Its more grippy than the new C-class and the current A4 and A5. Can you tell I've been on a few test drives recently?

4. No squeaks. You could argue Audi's are prettier and build a little better inside but you lose the drive and significantly superior engines in the trade off.

5+6. See above posts

I think its been said. The 335 saloon/touring/coupe represents the best performance, real world, generally affordable bunch of cars around at the moment. Of course, its a biased opinion but I had an open mind when it came to which brand to buy before I opted for the beemer
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 12:55 AM   #7
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
4) I've got the dark poplar wood trim in mine and I've noticed now the temperatures have dropped one particular area of this trim is rattling a bit. As soon as the cabin warms up it stops so I've put it down to contraction/expansion.

5) Overall build quality is good. Does seem better screwed together than the E90 M sport I previously owned.
I've also got the dark poplar wood trim and I haven't noticed any problems with it rattling. I'm sure you could resolve that if you took it to the dealer or took that bit of trim off and have a look at it. The insultation behind may have become loose.
      02-20-2008, 10:36 AM   #8
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

The 335d is "probably" all you ever need
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 11:08 AM   #9
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M

I think Squeezy has it the nail right on the head there. It`s very good at what it does, for what it is and for most people it`ll be all the car they need and in most cases more than the car they need.

If I ever got to the stage where I decided I only needed one car as a good all round daily driver I`d buy one in a shot.

I can`t speak for the build quality of the E92/3 as a test drive is never long enough but I went from an E46 to an E90 (for 10 mths from brand new) and I`m now back in an E46 and the build quality is much better in the E46, plenty of people on BMWLand also agree with this.

`Bit of strange choice `tho Sal, from an almost classic M5 to a new diesel, you getting old ?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2008, 06:31 PM   #10
Sales@Evolve
Rep
Drives: Slow

Thanks for the detailed replies guys.

I think I'll be stealing Carlos's keys for an extended test drive

Then....it's a case of which colour and spec!
Appreciate 0