E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Does the stealership give warranty on replaced parts?

07-14-2015, 10:19 PM   #1
Sha
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8, X6M, X1

Does the stealership give warranty on replaced parts?

Title might be confusing, my car was under warranty and a few months ago i got SES light on. Took it to the dealership and they replaced vanos(?) and bunch of other stuff. A few weeks later i had misfires and they replaced the spark plugs(?) again under warranty. Now my warranty is over and i just got the SES light again. Do you think it will be covered under warranty considering its the work they have done on the car? I'm not familiar with their coverages. Anyone had similar problem?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 10:59 PM   #2
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Depends if it's the same issue or not. What codes you getting?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 11:02 PM   #3
Sha
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have no idea its just the SES light on again, i checked the gas cap and it seems fit. The thing is they charge something just to look whats wrong with it and im trying to avoid it.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 11:11 PM   #4
csu87
Banned
Rep

Pull the codes yourself. Auto zone can probably pull them
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 11:14 PM   #5
Sha
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
Pull the codes yourself. Auto zone can probably pull them
Hmm ill try and see if they can, most of the times they say they dont have an adapter or too lazy for it. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 01:59 AM   #6
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

They will warranty work for 2 years, usually.

Now, they may tell you it's "something else", and that would then not be covered under warranty at this point.

You could argue (with some possibility of success) that it is the continuation of that same recurring issue investigated under warranty that never got fixed. You may have to have BMW NA involved, if the dealership cares about customer service they may do it for you and help getting a the work performed under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 04:10 AM   #7
E90Graphite07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post

Now, they may tell you it's "something else", and that would then not be covered under warranty at this point.

You could argue (with some possibility of success) that it is the continuation of that same recurring issue investigated under warranty that never got fixed. You may have to have BMW NA involved, if the dealership cares about customer service they may do it for you and help getting a the work performed under warranty.
As suggested, the history of service work should entail a never-ending situation that hasn't been completely resolved. Consult w/ the service advisor first ( then manager if SA doesn't help out) and rationally explain this concern directly. Otherwise, call up BMWNA. I've had two 'good faith' repairs, both assisted by BMWNA, where on the second visit (different part/issue that failed) I only paid for labor ($400 vs $1800).

Join us on Facebook:
E90Post - Houston
Houston BMW DIY Services
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 06:33 AM   #8
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Graphite07 View Post
As suggested, the history of service work should entail a never-ending situation that hasn't been completely resolved. Consult w/ the service advisor first ( then manager if SA doesn't help out) and rationally explain this concern directly. Otherwise, call up BMWNA. I've had two 'good faith' repairs, both assisted by BMWNA, where on the second visit (different part/issue that failed) I only paid for labor ($400 vs $1800).
problem is, OP doesnt seem to know which codes are thrown this time, and unless he can show its the same codes, then he doesnt have much of a shot.

Also, we have no idea if his original 2 service visits were from the same set of codes, or different codes.

if all 3 times are the same codes, then yes, he'll get it warrantied by them. If they are different, good luck with that.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 09:28 AM   #9
Sha
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I called up them today and surprisingly they just said bring it in whenever you can and we will look it up for free and if its related to the replaced parts we will handle it. Lucky day i guess thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 02:14 PM   #10
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT

even if your car was still under warranty and you never turn a wrench on it, you should still have a proper code scanner for it. These cars have too many issues not to have one. I pull mine with the JB4 as it's so easy, but could use INPA as well. Or add a license to my Bav Tech cable. Or get the Carly App and dongle (formerly BMWhat app). Or a few other alternatives...just anything that will show OBD and shadow codes.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 02:51 PM   #11
Sha
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousbird View Post
even if your car was still under warranty and you never turn a wrench on it, you should still have a proper code scanner for it. These cars have too many issues not to have one. I pull mine with the JB4 as it's so easy, but could use INPA as well. Or add a license to my Bav Tech cable. Or get the Carly App and dongle (formerly BMWhat app). Or a few other alternatives...just anything that will show OBD and shadow codes.
I 100% agree with you on the code reader. There is no excuse not to have one, only problem is i cant find anyone selling it in the usa and the shipping from germany kinda feels weird. (for the wifi adapter)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 02:58 PM   #12
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
I 100% agree with you on the code reader. There is no excuse not to have one, only problem is i cant find anyone selling it in the usa and the shipping from germany kinda feels weird. (for the wifi adapter)
Carly for BMW app is the best and easiest way to do it. Order the adapter from them on Amazon and it ships from the US.

Or go with the DCan + MHD App
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 03:02 PM   #13
Sha
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Carly for BMW app is the best and easiest way to do it. Order the adapter from them on Amazon and it ships from the US.

Yep realised they sell through amazon in the us, just ordered it. gotta buy the app now i guess
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 03:32 PM   #14
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep

Quote:

I disagree with it being the best and easiest. JB4 you can pull the codes from your steering wheel buttons. Doesn't get much easier than that. You can also pull them with your laptop or JB4 app as well. Obviously you don't buy a JB4 for the code reading, but one of the many great features it has.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 03:46 PM   #15
csu87
Banned
Rep

he never said he has a jb4, so if he has to buy and install one, then no it isnt easier than plugging in an adapter and reading from your phone, and it would be a lot more expensive to go the JB4 route just for codes.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 03:50 PM   #16
Sha
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I disagree with it being the best and easiest. JB4 you can pull the codes from your steering wheel buttons. Doesn't get much easier than that. You can also pull them with your laptop or JB4 app as well. Obviously you don't buy a JB4 for the code reading, but one of the many great features it has.
I dont have a jb4 man, i dont even know what that is (tune for 335?) i got a 328

carly seems to be the easiest and dumb proof as it can get by the looks of it as im not even interested in anything other than reading errors or maybe do fun stuff like auto fold mirrors when the car is locked etc
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 04:59 PM   #17
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Quote:

Joyluxy on Amazon for 70 bucks. Gives the code, and what it means. No referencing.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 05:41 PM   #18
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep

Quote:
he never said he has a jb4, so if he has to buy and install one, then no it isnt easier than plugging in an adapter and reading from your phone, and it would be a lot more expensive to go the JB4 route just for codes.
Hence the reason I said "Obviously you don't buy a JB4 for the code reading"

Once installed, it's the easiest way to read codes. Since it does many other things besides JUST code reading, and is the easiest way to read codes, that would make it both the best buy of any unit AND the easiest. Not the cheapest obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
I dont have a jb4 man, i dont even know what that is (tune for 335?) i got a 328
Ahh, never mind. BMS sells a tuner for your car, but it is just the power box that doesn't have all of the features of the JB4. JB4 is for more than the N54 (N55, N20 and others) but not for your motor.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 06:08 PM   #19
Sha
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hence the reason I said "Obviously you don't buy a JB4 for the code reading"

Once installed, it's the easiest way to read codes. Since it does many other things besides JUST code reading, and is the easiest way to read codes, that would make it both the best buy of any unit AND the easiest. Not the cheapest obviously.

Ahh, never mind. BMS sells a tuner for your car, but it is just the power box that doesn't have all of the features of the JB4. JB4 is for more than the N54 (N55, N20 and others) but not for your motor.
I have no interest in boosting up the power its more than enough for a daily drive. Kind of pointless when the speed limits are too low (45 max where i usualy drive to work)
Appreciate 0