F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > OT: Greece for dummies
proTUNING Freaks

07-06-2015, 11:56 AM   #1
jusdorange
YOLO
Monaco
Rep
Drives: #mw

OT: Greece for dummies

Can someone provide me with a link to an article or video about Greece is well and truly rodgered ?

Why is it any different from 2010?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 11:58 AM   #2
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusdorange View Post
Can someone provide me with a link to an article or video about Greece is well and truly rodgered ?

Thanks
Time for NTG Nick the Greek to step in
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 12:04 PM   #3
deebee
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a Bimmer :(

This any good?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33232074
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 12:21 PM   #4
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Basically the referendum gave the government backing to thumb nose at EU.

The fact that a lot of this is due to low life tax dodging, something that is now pretty much part of the culture,

This is what happens when tax dodgers are let off.

Yeah okay bit of other stuff happening, however until that's sorted, nothing much else will help.

Corruption in Greece has always been the Elephant in the room, it was back when they joined and it is now.

http://www.oecdobserver.org/news/cat...79/Greece.html

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2...g-tax-evasion/

http://www.investmenteurope.net/opin...d-consumption/
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 12:25 PM   #5
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

Quote:

Thanks
As someone whom does not really give a flying fudge about current events, I asked one of my pals I was with last night to break it down in a way a stoner could understand, this was basically it:

Once upon a time in a land called Greece they decided to join the Euro.
Unlike their counterparts the Greeks liked to work less days a week and retire around a decade before everyone else.
Over time the economy got worse and worse.
It got to the point they had to be bailed out by the rest of Europe.
They were supposed to pay back this bail out by taking things easy for a few years.
They decided not to take things easy and not to pay back the money.
Now the rest of the EU are saying "look just calm down for a few years, stick to the payment plan and it will all be ok again. Look, Italy, Ireland, Spain etc managed to do it."
Greece are saying "fuck eseís Ev̱ró̱pi̱, emeís tha synechísoume na kánoume ó, ti sto diáolo théloume."
Now the Greeks want their old currency back because apparently they are deluded and think this will fix everything and not set them back even further.

So now we wait and see.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2015, 12:28 PM   #6
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

We have lent them £10 billion.

Don't think we'll be seeing that anytime soon
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 12:38 PM   #7
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlees
We have lent them £10 billion.

Don't think we'll be seeing that anytime soon
When you say we do you mean the UK or the EU?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 12:44 PM   #8
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy
Quote:

Thanks
As someone whom does not really give a flying fudge about current events, I asked one of my pals I was with last night to break it down in a way a stoner could understand, this was basically it:

Once upon a time in a land called Greece they decided to join the Euro.
Unlike their counterparts the Greeks liked to work less days a week and retire around a decade before everyone else.
Over time the economy got worse and worse.
It got to the point they had to be bailed out by the rest of Europe.
They were supposed to pay back this bail out by taking things easy for a few years.
They decided not to take things easy and not to pay back the money.
Now the rest of the EU are saying "look just calm down for a few years, stick to the payment plan and it will all be ok again. Look, Italy, Ireland, Spain etc managed to do it."
Greece are saying "fuck eseís Ev̱ró̱pi̱, emeís tha synechísoume na kánoume ó, ti sto diáolo théloume."
Now the Greeks want their old currency back because apparently they are deluded and think this will fix everything and not set them back even further.

So now we wait and see.
This is true in general, although there are some hard working Greeks (my bro in law is Greek and does about 60 hours a week as the vice principle of one of our biggest colleges)

But the majority are on the whole much lazier than us, it was very apparent when i went there a few years ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 12:48 PM   #9
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

On the other hand you could point out that all those young greeks whose lives have been shafted by corrupt politicians and the pandering to the elderly deserve to have some prospect of a decent future. After all what is the point of being part of a political union if you know that fundamentally the other members of it have absolutely no care what happens to you.

Putting aside for a moment the fact that the debt now exists, using austerity to screw a country over will never get that money back, just compound things.

And I have no sympathy for the Germans owed the money as they are the ones borrowing for less then 1% and charging the Greeks about 8% for the priviledge... ok not quite as bad as Wonga, but they're certainly making a tasty margin.

And... it was the German's who were let off paying back their war debt following the end of world war 2, so they really shouldn't be moralising too much either. And as I understand than given the rise of the Nazi movement has partly been blamed on the lack of debt relief to Germany following World War 1 you would think that some lessons have been learned.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 2
      07-06-2015, 01:37 PM   #10
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

I am Greek.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2015, 01:46 PM   #11
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Lazy effing Germans:

I am in Athens at the present and the situation is not funny. I have to cut my visit short due to the problems.

I'd appreciate a bit more consideration in forthcoming opinions.

The effing Germans caused WW2 and had their debt written off. Plus, they were the first to break EU rules. Bunch of shits IMO.

Last edited by F30AM; 07-06-2015 at 03:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 01:56 PM   #12
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
On the other hand you could point out that all those young greeks whose lives have been shafted by corrupt politicians and the pandering to the elderly deserve to have some prospect of a decent future. After all what is the point of being part of a political union if you know that fundamentally the other members of it have absolutely no care what happens to you.

Putting aside for a moment the fact that the debt now exists, using austerity to screw a country over will never get that money back, just compound things.

And I have no sympathy for the Germans owed the money as they are the ones borrowing for less then 1% and charging the Greeks about 8% for the priviledge... ok not quite as bad as Wonga, but they're certainly making a tasty margin.

And... it was the German's who were let off paying back their war debt following the end of world war 2, so they really shouldn't be moralising too much either. And as I understand than given the rise of the Nazi movement has partly been blamed on the lack of debt relief to Germany following World War 1 you would think that some lessons have been learned.
Absolutely. Brilliant post.

The Krauts are a bunch of shits IMO. One rule for them and another for everyone else. Nothing has changed with them, since the 30ties and WW2 and before. They were a PITA even for the Romans. Trust those Huns? Just read history and you'll get your answers.
      07-06-2015, 01:56 PM   #13
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

One has to remember that the Euro was created for the German's, by the German's.
Where Hitler failed, Angela has triumphed.

What a wonderful way to sell your exports at a cost far lower than sovereign currency would allow. The German's have made €trillions on selling us all a lie.

How can you bind two countries as diverse as Germany and Greece (a second world economy when it joined the Euro), with the same currency and interest rates. It meant Greece could raise debt at the same coupon as Germany. Madness.

It was always going to end in tears. And the poorest will always pay the price.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2015, 01:57 PM   #14
fastflyer
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 x20d M Sport

I work for a private corporation which is regulated by the public sector.

A similar company in Greece, also regulated by the public sector, went out of business. This public sector-run authority decided to employ 60% of the people who lost their job at the privately run company depsite the fact they weren't needed. They didn't have to do anything for those who lost their jobs but still 100s of people got full pay for doing literally nothing in this government run regulatory board.

I believe they are currently still 'working' for this authority.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 02:02 PM   #15
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
This is true in general, although there are some hard working Greeks (my bro in law is Greek and does about 60 hours a week as the vice principle of one of our biggest colleges)

But the majority are on the whole much lazier than us, it was very apparent when i went there a few years ago.
And the same can be said for a significant majority in the UK.

Facts:
http://i100.independent.co.uk/articl...rs--xycGVDQ36g

Lazy effing Dutch and Germans.
      07-06-2015, 02:12 PM   #16
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

I always view them as Nazis. I can never ever forgive or forget what they did to the Jews and others. The raped Greece during WW2 and murdered hundreds of thousands of Greeks including all the Jews of Thessaloniki. Nothing has changed. They are back to their old tricks.

And my next car won't be German.
      07-06-2015, 02:15 PM   #17
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Thanks
And that is a crappy title for a thread. Shame on you.
      07-06-2015, 02:18 PM   #18
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Greek View Post
One has to remember that the Euro was created for the German's, by the German's.
Where Hitler failed, Angela has triumphed.

What a wonderful way to sell your exports at a cost far lower than sovereign currency would allow. The German's have made €trillions on selling us all a lie.

How can you bind two countries as diverse as Germany and Greece (a second world economy when it joined the Euro), with the same currency and interest rates. It meant Greece could raise debt at the same coupon as Germany. Madness.

It was always going to end in tears. And the poorest will always pay the price.
Exactly. Obviously they have no more guilt for all the suffering they caused and are still causing.
      07-06-2015, 02:21 PM   #19
jusdorange
YOLO
Monaco
Rep
Drives: #mw

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_Dummies
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 02:50 PM   #20
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastflyer View Post
I work for a private corporation which is regulated by the public sector.

A similar company in Greece, also regulated by the public sector, went out of business. This public sector-run authority decided to employ 60% of the people who lost their job at the privately run company depsite the fact they weren't needed. They didn't have to do anything for those who lost their jobs but still 100s of people got full pay for doing literally nothing in this government run regulatory board.

I believe they are currently still 'working' for this authority.
This is pretty much it.

Greece now is similar to how Italy was say 30 years ago.

Nothing was regulated and everyone demanded (and expected) a cut of whatever money was going, whether it was government, grants, bribes etc.

Successive governments in Greece have failed (mainly due to indemic corruption) to collect taxes owed by companies and weather people or people who are classed as self employed and get away with not declaring tax or bare minimum.

Rather disgustingly the Germans knew all this, loaned them money to buy ships and aircraft, backed them for membership of EU and single currency. All the time aware of level of internal debt owed.

The Germans are relatively isolated from the Euro due to stringent guarantees laid down at concept of euro - a monetary fire blanket.

It is very much like Wonga offering cash to some not very bright person down on their luck.

Whether in or out of the Euro, the Greeks need to clamp down on this corruption and low life's not paying taxes.

As an aside, I also hate ex pats living over there (I have about 5 mates living mainland and Cyprus) moaning about impact on pensions etc.

Historically income tax on pensions has been very low to non existent.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 03:13 PM   #21
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I agree, he should have used "Idiots Guide To Greece"
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 03:14 PM   #22
335i nthehouse
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Why?

Surely your overtly racist comments were more offensive?
Appreciate 1