Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

07-05-2015, 12:08 AM   #1
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

who uses an alcantara wrapped steering wheel?

just wanted to see who uses an alcantara wrapped steering wheel now or int he past. it seems like it would provide much better grip for my gloves, though i honestly haven't had a real slippage problem with the leather wrapped wheels.

also - anyone ever use on of the steering wheels with shift indicating lights? are those superfluous with head-up displays or an added benefit? i usually drive in the intermediate/advanced groups and my car will be a manual if you find that relevant.

i've made it this far without the steering wheel, but i perceive the potential benefits of: better grip, shift lights in my face, #becauseracecar (and is something i actually interact with instead of a rear CFRP diffuser for the same price, for example).

so is an alcantara (+/- lights): useful, useful AND cool, useless BUT cool, useless AND annoying? anyone feel strongly about an alcantara wheel one way or the other? or am i overthinking it?

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 06:28 AM   #2
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
I love my race wheel. I like the alcantara feel and the shift lights. More often than not it's the optimum shift more I end up using and not the red line indicators. More relevant though I think is the OLED display. There must be close to 20 information display modes available. I use the timers, oil and water temps, and efficiency ratings a lot. I love it.

I also btw have the HUD and have it permanently in M HUD mode. They are definitely used by me for completely different data points.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-05-2015, 08:36 AM   #3
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz
I love my race wheel. I like the alcantara feel and the shift lights. More often than not its the optimum shift more I end up using and not the red line indicators. More relevant though I think is the OLED display. There must be close to 20 information display modes available. I use the timers, oil and water temps, and efficiency ratings a lot. I love it.

I also btw have the HUD and have it permanently in M HUD mode. They are definitely used by me for completely different data points.
cool man, thanks! Did you tackle the DIY or have a shop do it?

I saw someone mention the electronic wheels are a bit of a PITA to install... not something I'd want to screw up but also like to save money when feasible and have a slight sense of accomplishment from DIM(myself)

the wheel adds a nice #becauseracecar feel to it, even though mine definitely is not.. I think the tech is cool and the esthetics are sweet too.

nice photos btw... love that low f/ ...the ones you took of your car a while back (pretty sure it was you) helped convince me to order my '16 m3 in DGM.

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 03:40 PM   #4
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post

I saw someone mention the electronic wheels are a bit of a PITA to install... not something I'd want to screw up but also like to save money when feasible and have a slight sense of accomplishment from DIM(myself)

the wheel adds a nice #becauseracecar feel to it, even though mine definitely is not.. I think the tech is cool and the esthetics are sweet too.

nice photos btw... love that low f/ ...the ones you took of your car a while back (pretty sure it was you) helped convince me to order my '16 m3 in DGM.
Hey! I appreciate your appreciation on my thread.

I don't know where you are located but I contacted IND shop they quoted me less than $200 to install digital version MP steering wheel. IND shop is in Illinois. They are a reputable shop.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 08:16 AM   #5
JMon
FAST
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3 Cup

I have an alcantara wheel on my GT3 race car. (Actually I think it is not alcantara but something similar).

The electronic version with the lights is probably redundant with HUD and lets be honest... The tach+speakers.

I don't like the fact they move with the wheel, for real racing, I would prefer a good AIM dash... I don't think many of us are doing any real racing with these cars in the first place.. At least not in stock form.

I am concerned about the light portion causing some inconsistent feel issues while driving and personally was torn between the electronic version vs the regular non-electronic alcantara wheel.

I'm also concerned about how well it will hold up to daily driving and occasional dirty hands...

But I eventually choose the LED version mainly because it looks cool. There I said it. it just looks cool!
Appreciate 2
      07-14-2015, 08:30 AM   #6
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

You're probably over thinking it. I have an alcantara steering wheel in my M3 and I love it but don't really thinks it makes a difference in terms of grip on the track. It's nice to have and it feels good driving on the street and looks cool but you won't notice much difference on track IMO.
Appreciate 2
      07-21-2015, 03:15 AM   #7
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMon
I have an alcantara wheel on my GT3 race car. (Actually I think it is not alcantara but something similar).

The electronic version with the lights is probably redundant with HUD and lets be honest... The tach+speakers.

I don't like the fact they move with the wheel, for real racing, I would prefer a good AIM dash... I don't think many of us are doing any real racing with these cars in the first place.. At least not in stock form.

I am concerned about the light portion causing some inconsistent feel issues while driving and personally was torn between the electronic version vs the regular non-electronic alcantara wheel.

I'm also concerned about how well it will hold up to daily driving and occasional dirty hands...

But I eventually choose the LED version mainly because it looks cool. There I said it. it just looks cool!
It definitely get's the biggest wow factor whenever a buddy gets in the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 03:19 AM   #8
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz
I love my race wheel. I like the alcantara feel and the shift lights. More often than not its the optimum shift more I end up using and not the red line indicators. More relevant though I think is the OLED display. There must be close to 20 information display modes available. I use the timers, oil and water temps, and efficiency ratings a lot. I love it.

Glad you like the photos. Photography is my hobby and my photo app 'Phokl' features on my plates

Re DIY. I'm not so well skilled in this area to risk it. The dealership I used themselves found the install a lot trickier than they expected. Mainly to do with the fitment of the buttons. It took them three attempts to finally set it up without rattles and squeaks.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 06:20 PM   #9
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
Glad you like the photos. Photography is my hobby and my photo app 'Phokl' features on my plates

Re DIY. I'm not so well skilled in this area to risk it. The dealership I used themselves found the install a lot trickier than they expected. Mainly to do with the fitment of the buttons. It took them three attempts to finally set it up without rattles and squeaks.
good to know - probably not something i would want to tackle .... honestly i'm reconsidering the wheel for fear of it getting too grimy in daily use... i guess i could wear gloves while driving to help preserve it... or just not have filthy hands..

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 04:35 PM   #10
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

I have one in my E92. I don't think it's that much better than the leather one as far as tactile feel. It does grip better with driving gloves.

If it matters it never gets hot like the leather ones if it's been sitting.

I clean it once a month. Sonax Alcantara Cleaner, a soft brush, and a steaming hot microfiber towel get most of the gunk out.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2015, 04:55 PM   #11
MasterC17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Had them in my E46's. Don't miss them.
      07-22-2015, 10:00 PM   #12
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrakBch
I have one in my E92. I don't think it's that much better than the leather one as far as tactile feel. It does grip better with driving gloves.

I clean it once a month. Sonax Alcantara Cleaner, a soft brush, and a steaming hot microfiber towel get most of the gunk out.
good input thanks! kinda thinking I'll hold off at this point .. it'd be mostly bling I suppose and I guess I don't really need it. maybe ill get it down the road if I need a little re-excitement

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 08:34 PM   #13
///Machiavelli
Big Mac
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY16 F80

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrakBch View Post
I have the wheel in my 1er.

While it doesn't get hot to the touch like a leather wheel, I have encountered on a few occasions a situation where the wheel got too hot for its own comfort and the display refused to activate until the car interior cools down. In the end, I have to use a windshield cover all the same.

I'm of two minds on the wheel itself.

It looks really cool. Has definite wow factor. Makes you feel like a pro when you bang off shifts as the leds start blinking away. The alcantara is nice and grippy with driving gloves. And I find the digital temp gauges very useful on the track.

However, it can be difficult to install -- my dealer took a week with multiple techs. I'm paranoid about prematurely wearing out the alcantara from dirt and oils in my bare hands so always wear leather driving gloves on the street. That can be fun but also annoying when you just want to hop in the car and go. It is momentarily distracting when turning the wheel sharply and your hand ends up over the display. And the usefulness of other functions like g-meter, 0-60 timer and eco gauge is dubious at best.

If I do it again in my upcoming F80 I'd go non-electric and an Awron display. In light of the M-HUD mode, dynamic redline gauge and great engine cooling on the stock setup I probably won't do anything at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 06:01 PM   #14
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Machiavelli View Post
I have the wheel in my 1er.

While it doesn't get hot to the touch like a leather wheel, I have encountered on a few occasions a situation where the wheel got too hot for its own comfort and the display refused to activate until the car interior cools down. In the end, I have to use a windshield cover all the same.

I'm of two minds on the wheel itself.

It looks really cool. Has definite wow factor. Makes you feel like a pro when you bang off shifts as the leds start blinking away. The alcantara is nice and grippy with driving gloves. And I find the digital temp gauges very useful on the track.

However, it can be difficult to install -- my dealer took a week with multiple techs. I'm paranoid about prematurely wearing out the alcantara from dirt and oils in my bare hands so always wear leather driving gloves on the street. That can be fun but also annoying when you just want to hop in the car and go. It is momentarily distracting when turning the wheel sharply and your hand ends up over the display. And the usefulness of other functions like g-meter, 0-60 timer and eco gauge is dubious at best.

If I do it again in my upcoming F80 I'd go non-electric and an Awron display. In light of the M-HUD mode, dynamic redline gauge and great engine cooling on the stock setup I probably won't do anything at all.
I wouldn't fret wearing the alcantara. Any automotive upholsterer worth their salt can rewrap even the digital wheel. Drive it until the alcantara falls off and then have it rewrapped in traditional leather.

Your installion troubles gives me pause as I'm close to doing a self-install. BMW's own instructions call for 1.5 hours of install time.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 01:09 AM   #15
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
Just order the wheel should I go with the gloves for daily driving?

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 12:49 PM   #16
d k
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWless for few weeks

Oh yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
Just order the wheel should I go with the gloves for daily driving?
Appreciate 2