THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Opinions Wanted: Take my M235i to the Track?

06-29-2015, 06:17 PM   #1
MEBII
Mike Bryan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Opinions Wanted: Take my M235i to the Track?

Trying to decide whether or not to do a track day. I'm near Sonoma Raceway but Laguna Seca and Thunderhill. My M235i is newly broken in and bone stock.

It's really about thrills vs costs. In addition to paying the event host, there's a helmet (don't have one), months off the life of my tires, track damage insurance.

I've done racing schools (125cc karts and Formula Ford), so I have a good idea of the thrill factor. But I've never tracked my own cars.

Words of caution, recommendations, relate your own experience...all much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 06:37 PM   #2
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Absolutely. You'll have a blast, come back and realize you love it and get addicted like everyone else there. It's an expensive hobby for sure, but you can take it easy to get by on a stock car.

If it's your first time at the track then you'll start in an HPDE1 group and get some time to learn the basics and feeling for the car before you really push the car hard. Usually if its an option, some high temp brake fluid and a fresh bleed is a good idea, but I expect you'd be fine on stock as long as you take it easy on the brakes once they start to fade.

Are you a BMWCCA member? They have a discounted track insurance program which is pretty good.

For the amount of time you get on a track IMO it's totally worth it, especially compared to AutoX where you only get a few minutes of time driving and never get to hit the speeds these cars were designed to handle at.

I did the BMW 2 day M school, and honestly I can say it was the most fun I've had in my life. If the vert didn't need a roll cage I would be back already.
      06-29-2015, 07:09 PM   #3
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I agree. If you haven't done it, you need to go at least once. If you go with a BMWCCA group it is usually cheaper and they provide the track insurance (at least my chapter does).

You don't know what your car can do until you have had it on the track.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 07:22 PM   #4
2+3=5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2

After one year with my M235i I have decided I want to experience the max potential of this car on the track and at various slalom/autocross events. I am starting next month with in car training then solo track runs... I invested in a good Bell helmet so i can use it at autocross (and go karting) with the hygiene factor also in mind.

IMO this car is so fun to drive daily I just need to know the wow factor on a track!

I was lucky to attend (as a gift) the one day BMW training prior to my 2004 330ci delivery and I learned a lot!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 07:50 PM   #5
bluemeanie
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i=awesome

I tracked my shiny new Cayman for the first time a year ago and have done 18 track days since. It's pretty much all I think about, and my main (by far) use of disposable income. I get now where Steve McQueen was coming from when he said "Racing is living; everything else is just waiting."
Appreciate 2
      06-29-2015, 09:18 PM   #6
crqflier
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '95 M3 (gone)

Do it. But since you've not tracked your own rig before, I'd recommend a BMWCCA, NASA, or other similar structured org rather than a cheap open track day. Have fun.
      06-29-2015, 09:45 PM   #7
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

M235 is a great track car.

Do it with the BMWCCA because of their safety priority above all else and their excellent instructors.

Also invest in a set of track wheels and tires. Have a blast, you'll be addicted
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 10:52 PM   #8
turbobum
Family Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: White '09 135i

Do it! Drive smooth and you won't hurt the car. Yes you'll chew through brakes and tires in a hurry but it's so worth it. All hobbies cost $. I know people that buy boats just to do a little water skiing...now that's pricy.
      06-29-2015, 10:58 PM   #9
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Don't do it. Methamphetamine is a cheaper habit.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 11:04 PM   #10
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
some high temp brake fluid and a fresh bleed is a good idea, but I expect you'd be fine on stock as long as you take it easy on the brakes once they start to fade.
The absolute least you could do and highly recommended. ATE 200 fluid - flush and replace. Prevents brake fade during high heat.

On tracking - highly recommend, even if you only do it once. It is the absolute best way to learn the limits of the vehicle and how to handle it at high speeds.

Potential costs from tracking:
- Club membership (BMW CCA, ACNA, etc)
- Track time costs
- Tires - Full replacement after a few days at the track, depending on temp and how hard you run
- Brake pads ($0 - BMW covers these under the current warranty)
- Mods - eventually you will want some, to save $$ on tires, start with camber plates.

Enjoy!
      06-29-2015, 11:08 PM   #11
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Those are 3 great tracks. Can't go wrong on any of them.

I did my first road course track day in 2007 at Lime Rock Park with the Mustang GT in my avatar. At the time the car was 2.5 years old, bone stock, 23,000 miles, and absolutely mint condition inside and out. I remember being extremely anxious, worried sick about getting a scratch on the car, or worse. After it was over, I was more relieved that nothing happened than anything else.

They got easier as I relaxed more at each event, but I limit my track days to one per year. The second time was at Loudon NH, and I was still nervous, but gaining confidence.

Next up was Watkins Glen, which is absolutely epic in every way. Far and away my favorite track. But, the high speed demands more from the car than the smaller tracks, and I found out that the OEM DOT 5 brake fluid just does not cut it at a track like this. On the back straight I was hitting 130 mph, and on the second 30-minute session, the brake pedal went right to the floor when I was braking at the end of the straight. Luckily I slowed enough to get through the chicane, but obviously had to pit while the brakes cooled down. I was okay for the rest of the day, but hard braking at 130 mph was out of the question.

After that I switched to Hawk HPS brake pads and ATE Super Blue DOT 4 racing brake fluid. Went back to Watkins Glen the following year, and absolutely no issues.

The club I go with averages about 100 cars per event, and in 7 events I have only seen 4 incidents where cars took damage. All of them could have been avoided with a little more common sense. I never got as much as a scratch on my car in any event. The wheels were covered with brake dust, and there were bits of shredded tire rubber stuck here and there, but nothing a simple wash wouldn't take care of.

That said, I am a bit anxious again myself about bringing my M235i to the track. It's the best (and most expensive) car I've ever owned. And it only has 2000 miles on it. But I do plan on tracking it. Public roads are not the place to test the limits of your car, especially a highly capable car like a BMW 2 series. Once you settle down and get in a rhythm, there's nothing like going WOT on a race track with no worries about idiot drivers, pedestrians, or the law.

The only thing I'm unsure about is whether or not to opt for the track insurance - it looks like with the BMWCCA discount, it would be about $250 per event - essentially doubling the cost of the event.
      06-29-2015, 11:15 PM   #12
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Comment about brakes: Bmw will not replace them for free if it's obvious that you're tracking it, for example if you go in for brake replacement pads at 2000 miles, eyebrows will be raised. Be prepared to pay for your own brakes unless the mileage since the last replacement is reasonable for a street car. It's only fair
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 11:16 PM   #13
turbobum
Family Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: White '09 135i

please someone confirm the 235 doesn't understeer as badly as the 135 does on a dry track
      06-29-2015, 11:23 PM   #14
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidpaper View Post
Don't do it. Methamphetamine is a cheaper habit.

They say price of racing hasn't change in the last 50 years.... it still takes all your money
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2015, 11:26 PM   #15
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
Comment about brakes: Bmw will not replace them for free if it's obvious that you're tracking it, for example if you go in for brake replacement pads at 2000 miles, eyebrows will be raised. Be prepared to pay for your own brakes unless the mileage since the last replacement is reasonable for a street car. It's only fair
you wont wear a set of pads in one track day.... also nothing in the maintenance plan talks about they won't replace them....

if the CBS says you need new pads they will put new pads....
Appreciate 2
      06-30-2015, 12:54 AM   #16
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Yes. No doubt. I don't understand having a car like the M235i and NOT taking it to the track at least a couple of times. It's the only way to really explore the capabilities of the car and YOU.

As others have already said, do it with a reputable organization and get an instructor to help you out.

In addition to brakes and tires that have been spoken about, I highly suggest some type of paint protection from flying debris on the track. I have a "clear bra." Some drivers use blue painters tape all over the front of their cars. It looks weird but it's better than chipping up your new car.

That's all I have to add, everything else has pretty much been covered. Do it for sure! You'll be hooked like I am.

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 02:15 AM   #17
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu
Quote:
you wont wear a set of pads in one track day.... also nothing in the maintenance plan talks about they won't replace them....

if the CBS says you need new pads they will put new pads....
You could absolutely go through a set of stock pads in one track weekend (8 sessions) I certainly have, and even if your dealership replaces them once at a abnormal mileage for s street only driven car, they will not keep doing it time after time for a track rat. It's also ethically questionable to even try to get them to pay for wearables. The right thing to do is to pay for your own track tires and brakes.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 07:06 AM   #18
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

I think it's amusing that you mentioned ethical and a dealership in the same sentence. I agree though.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2015, 07:26 AM   #19
bluemeanie
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i=awesome

A comment about tires... If you are just beginning, regular summer street tires will work just fine on track and are advantageous in the sense that they tend to slip progressively with plenty of feedback. I run on Bridgestone RE-11s and they are just super fun on track. Also, you will not be running through your tires at a fast clip when you are just starting out. As you get faster you will still likely get a dozen or so track days per set, unless you are running R compound tires (the automotive equivalent of cocaine, or so I'm told).
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2015, 08:26 AM   #20
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

For your first track day, the stock PSS tires are fine. Just bring a decent tire pressure gauge and a mini compressor if you have one (if not someone will certainly let you borrow one) so you can adjust the pressures as needed. As mentioned the front tires on these cars like to roll without enough pressure in hard cornering.

Dedicated track wheels are ideal once you know you plan on doing more than a couple events, and blue "racing" tape is also a good suggestion, you can cover your headlights and any other areas you have concerns about chips.
      06-30-2015, 09:49 AM   #21
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
You could absolutely go through a set of stock pads in one track weekend (8 sessions) I certainly have, and even if your dealership replaces them once at a abnormal mileage for s street only driven car, they will not keep doing it time after time for a track rat. It's also ethically questionable to even try to get them to pay for wearables. The right thing to do is to pay for your own track tires and brakes.
Ok... I'm just saying if you do 2-3 track days a year, it won't make much of a difference.... and probably won't go through a set of pads on your first few days driving on the track

now if you go to the track every weekend yeah... still pads add included in the maintenance... there was one guy that was going for pads every 4000-5000 miles I remember reading in the forum... I'm not saying that's right though...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 09:51 AM   #22
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
For your first track day, the stock PSS tires are fine. Just bring a decent tire pressure gauge and a mini compressor if you have one (if not someone will certainly let you borrow one) so you can adjust the pressures as needed. As mentioned the front tires on these cars like to roll without enough pressure in hard cornering.

Dedicated track wheels are ideal once you know you plan on doing more than a couple events, and blue "racing" tape is also a good suggestion, you can cover your headlights and any other areas you have concerns about chips.
Also I found blue tape around the fenders and valence makes it easier to keep the flying melted rubber from sticking to the paint
Appreciate 0