E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Extended Road Course Logs with FBO, Full E85, and Throttle Plate Injection

06-28-2015, 01:30 PM   #1
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Extended Road Course Logs with FBO, Full E85, and Throttle Plate Injection

So finally had the chance to test out the TBI kit on my otherwise FBO car on a road course. The car was running full E85 of course, and on the BMS E85 BMS backend flash with some modifications to the timing, torque request (more linear throttle mapping), and 3D fuel scalar to account for the extra fuel that TBI provides. JB4 was set to map 2, which targets 17psi in the mid range.

Things looks good for most parts, the only things I can see are:

1. IAT was the highest (160F at the end of a multigear pull in map 2 = 17 peak psi) I have ever seen on this car since I put on the 7" VRSF FMIC, since the ambient temp was around 80F. Last year under the same ambient temp, I only see 120F max while running 15 psi and stock airbox. Not sure if the new DCI is contributing to this.

2. FP_L dipped below 50 psi on a few occasions, which is odd given I am way within the fuel capacity of the stage 2 LPFP pump. It did recovered almost instantaneously and didn't seem to affect the FP_H at all, so my guess is it due to the activation of the solenoid that bleeds off the pressure in the low pressure system. FP_H looks to be hovering around 12 consistently, which is well within the safety range, but a little lower than what I see from other cars running these TBI kits.

3. 3D fuel scalar needs a bit of extra refinements to dial in the fuel trims at WOT. Or I might just turn down the boost a bit to 15 psi. Car is really fast on the straights now (+5 mph from last year on the straights while running map 5, pump flash, and E30, and +10-15mph from E9x M3 with stock engines I have seen), and even with race pads, the stock brakes are having hard time to keep up (BBKs would be nice, but not planning to spend another $3-5k on this car).

CSV is too large for this site, so here is the dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8w6ttandqv...22_45.csv?dl=0

Or datazap link if you prefer that.
http://www.datazap.me/u/cloud9blue/2...1-3-4-10-14-17

Other than that, the kit works great. You get a little backfire occasionally when rolling off the throttle due to the extra fuel in the manifold, but that doesn't seem to affect throttle response at all. The benefits of running E85 is great, plus this should keep my valves squeaky clean now given how often the fuel gets sprayed onto the intake valves with the way this thing is driven at the track.

But anyway, any comments on the log is welcomed, but it will be a few days before I can drive the car again. The new 265/35R18 front tires punched a hole in my Dinan oil cooler, so I have to wait for the replacement Setrab core to get here before I can drive this thing again.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 01:57 PM   #2
matthewo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I didn't look at the log or anything, I assume this is the fuel it kit right?

Have you tried higher psi maps for more limited use that is not one after another like road course abuse?

I would like to run 100% e85. I have been slowly adding a little more per each tank. I'm at about 70-75% right now and seems to run good with hpfp keeping up (but I know it will run out at some point), fuel it stage 2 did drop to about 50 in 1 run but hpfp was still fine. I'm targeting around 19psi midrange at 10deg. Then slowing increasing timing and decreasing boost after 5500 towards redline
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 02:07 PM   #3
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewo View Post
I didn't look at the log or anything, I assume this is the fuel it kit right?

Have you tried higher psi maps for more limited use that is not one after another like road course abuse?

I would like to run 100% e85. I have been slowly adding a little more per each tank. I'm at about 70-75% right now and seems to run good with hpfp keeping up (but I know it will run out at some point), fuel it stage 2 did drop to about 50 in 1 run but hpfp was still fine. I'm targeting around 19psi midrange at 10deg. Then slowing increasing timing and decreasing boost after 5500 towards redline

I don't do drag race or "highway pulls", so no... I personally have very little interest in running a non-sustainable tune like that under any environment.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 04:32 PM   #4
musc
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Good stuff. Road course work is arguably a lot more strenuous than drag racing/roll racing will ever be and things seem to hold up fine. I do the latter type of racing so this testing is probably way harder than I would ever see. Interesting about the IAT. Straight E85 will reduce the effective IAT we just don't get to see it since the fuel is injected after the Tmap reading.

Thanks for the feedback.
Appreciate 0