E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Low Oil Pressure...ish?

06-22-2015, 03:48 PM   #1
inrev`
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 335i m sport

Low Oil Pressure...ish?

Hi all,

So something strange happened to me last week. I recently started taking public transit to work so my daily car commute consists of two trips, 5-7ish minutes of driving both ways. As I was driving up the multi-level parking structure, my car suddenly lost power, turned itself off, and flashed low oil pressure on the iDrive screen.

I waited for a couple of minutes, shifted back to P, and attempted to turn on the car. No issues. Went to work and came back. Did a quick visual inspection for leaks and found nothing. I checked the car for codes through my cobb ap, and also found no new codes. I reported this behavior to my SA who said he has never bumped into something like this before.

Fast forward to a week later, nothing troubling so far. From my interwebs searches, I could only theorize that somehow, as I made multiple right turns, oil may have sloshed to one side of the engine...freaking out the oil sensor which in turn turned off the engine. The car rarely gets to have a full warm up as well.

Any thoughts or theories are welcome wet-sump fail?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 03:45 PM   #2
inrev`
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 335i m sport

Looks like this thread got a decent amount of views. No replies = good news. Just reporting back a little over a week with no issues besides a little rough idle after start when the car was warm.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 10:11 AM   #3
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by inrev`
Looks like this thread got a decent amount of views. No replies = good news. Just reporting back a little over a week with no issues besides a little rough idle after start when the car was warm.
My two cents since my commute is similar to yours.

Since you had that low warning, I suspect that your oil may be a little low and I would recommend an oil change pretty soon.

My other little gripe about these little trips is that the engine never really gets to fully warm up. For that reason, a day or two of the week I'll take it for a longer drive just to get things warmed up properly.