E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > backpressure good or bad?

01-21-2006, 07:17 PM   #1
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Thumbs up backpressure good or bad?

Hi guys, I have always thought about removing a resonator from my E90 to produce a more throaty sound. However, i've heard a lot of ppl said that if i remove the resonator i'm going to lose backpressure and also lose power. but recently i researched online and i found an explanation from http://auto.howstuffworks.com/muffler5.htm
a fairly reputable website and it actually says more backpressure = less power ("mufflers like those in the previous section produce a fairly high backpressure. This subtracts a little from the power of the engine")... so now i'm wondering if losing back pressure really gonna make the car lose power or gain power?? is there anyone on the board who has conducted a resonator removal already? is there a difference in sound/power? thanks a lot guys!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2006, 09:22 PM   #2
AW330i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 330i

I have had my resonator deleted and I was pretty happy with the results there is a link to a sound clip in my sig... I didn't notice a difference in power at all and I really wouldnt worry about it if I were you...
      01-22-2006, 02:32 AM   #3
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
Its actually not a good idea to just remove the resonator if you arent pushing more air through the car. The car is currently tuned for as close to perfection as possible by the BMW engineers. You need some back pressure when your exhuast and intake valves are open to keep the cylinder temps hot so that they dont cool down and slow down air movement through the cylinder. If you arent pushing more air through than before, having a less constricted exit on the exhuast doesnt help. It actually creates turbulance, usually found in the exhuast manifold that hinders the flow and as a result creates more back pressure than with the resonator.

But I think in both situations, it wouldn't be noticed on the butt dyno.

SG | Beige Dakota | Poplar || iDrive w/MP3 | PP | SP | CWP | PDC | Comfort | Shades || 40% Tint
| Black Line Tail Lights | Hardwired V1
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2006, 04:05 PM   #4
ben1364
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330iA

poldim wrote in part, "Its actually not a good idea to just remove the resonator if you arent pushing more air through the car. The car is currently tuned for as close to perfection as possible by the BMW engineers. "
Poldim is absolutely correct.
Appreciate 0