E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Buying a car seat

06-20-2015, 03:39 AM   #1
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Buying a car seat

We are expecting our first child (boy) in August and i really need to start buying baby stuff now.

One of the things i want to buy is an ISOFIX car seat and a pram/buggy (whats the difference between a pram and buggy anyway??). I want the car seat to be able to attach to the pram, but also a spare attachment for the baby to sit it if the seat is in the car.

Any ideas? I've tried looking but its so confusing.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 03:59 AM   #2
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Forgot to say budget is £400 and i want good quality, light and sturdy. Not something which will break after a few months. Also ideally from 0-3years use.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 04:27 AM   #3
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Mate, dont ask on here. It's your childs life were talking about. It's more complicated than you think.

You need a pram (lie flat) for babies, this is medical advice. Buggies are more sit up for when they're older. If you use 2 cars you'll need 2 seats. Don't think you can make do with one. You won't think that in the cold wet winter swapping seats over at midnight.

Go to a big mothercare shop they'll give you proper trained advice, and they have parking bays out front just for car seat fitting testing.

You need gear that fits your car (theyre all different even with isofix) And it has to suit your house / access etc.

And most important that the missus can use it, you're not important in that respect unfortunately!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 04:59 AM   #4
Dannyrado
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A big gold navara

Recaro isofix base, recaro Young profi plus, baby jogger city mini with recaro clips. Bought as a package for £320. Best thing we've ever bought, she's still in the baby jogger at 4, it's been around the world with us literally.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 05:14 AM   #5
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy
Mate, dont ask on here. It's your childs life were talking about. It's more complicated than you think.

You need a pram (lie flat) for babies, this is medical advice. Buggies are more sit up for when they're older. If you use 2 cars you'll need 2 seats. Don't think you can make do with one. You won't think that in the cold wet winter swapping seats over at midnight.

Go to a big mothercare shop they'll give you proper trained advice, and they have parking bays out front just for car seat fitting testing.

You need gear that fits your car (theyre all different even with isofix) And it has to suit your house / access etc.

And most important that the missus can use it, you're not important in that respect unfortunately!
Thanks bud. The systems i'm looking at have 3 attachments, a flat one, a sit up one and a car seat.

I'm actually on my way to mamas and papas to try and do what you said and see some in real life. Feels awkward as i never really go into baby shops. We will only be using my E92 so i'll try and check the fittings out today.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 08:07 AM   #6
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok so went into mamas and papas looking to buy a travel system and came out with a cot.

Really helpful people working there. Went into Mothercare and the service was shit.

Think i've got a much better understanding now. I'm looking to buy the Zoom trio for 440gbp incl isofix base. Really light and easy to use.

Anyone have any other travel system with isofix suggestions before i buy?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 01:16 AM   #7
Rally_chris
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 E91 330i Msport Touring

We had numerous(!) Mamas and Papas systems with our first child but found their stuff overpriced and not very well designed. For our second child we went with a maxi cosi car seat, two isofix bases bought off ebay, then baby jogger city mini pushchair with maxi cosi adaptors plus a generic (graco I think) soft carry cot.

Think of it this way - you'll only need the carry cot for a few months, the group 0 car seat for about 9 months, but you'll want a decent and convenient pushchair until the child is about 3. Buy a travel system and it looks great on day 1 but you'll probably hate the heavy pushchair by the time your child is a year old!

Chris