THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Suspension 20 mm lower than base - do I need to worry about scraping?

06-15-2015, 07:41 AM   #1
Canaletto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Suspension 20 mm lower than base - do I need to worry about scraping?

If I get a 228i, I will probably get the M Performance Suspension on it.

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/44...NCE-SUSPENSION

That suspension supposedly lowers the car 20mm versus the base suspension and 10mm versus the M Sport suspension.

Would I be scraping the car all the time if it was lowered that much? I was looking at a Nismo 370Z for a while, but one of the reasons I passed on it was because you need to be so careful to avoid scraping the front air dam.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 10:34 AM   #2
gasspasser
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaletto
If I get a 228i, I will probably get the M Performance Suspension on it.

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/44...NCE-SUSPENSION

That suspension supposedly lowers the car 20mm versus the base suspension and 10mm versus the M Sport suspension.

Would I be scraping the car all the time if it was lowered that much? I was looking at a Nismo 370Z for a while, but one of the reasons I passed on it was because you need to be so careful to avoid scraping the front air dam.
I have a RWD M235. I'm assuming it's the same ride height as a 228 with M sport suspension. I did a Dinan drop that lowers the front by 0.5 inches (12.7mm). I have the front M Perf Splitter. I do have to be careful getting in and out of driveways and watch out for larger than normal speed bumps. If you have front parking sensors, they start going off before you even get close to a sidewalk or cement block divider when you park nose first.
      06-16-2015, 11:09 AM   #3
Canaletto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasspasser View Post
I have a RWD M235. I'm assuming it's the same ride height as a 228 with M sport suspension. I did a Dinan drop that lowers the front by 0.5 inches (12.7mm). I have the front M Perf Splitter. I do have to be careful getting in and out of driveways and watch out for larger than normal speed bumps. If you have front parking sensors, they start going off before you even get close to a sidewalk or cement block divider when you park nose first.
Thanks for the response!

Does having the M Performance Splitter exacerbate the issue? In other words, would I have less of a problem since I don't intend to add the splitter?

Also, do you think that a Sport Line has more clearance than a M Sport? It kind of looks like it in the configurator since the M Sport seems to have an air dam that the Sport Line doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 01:35 PM   #4
gasspasser
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaletto
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasspasser View Post
Thanks for the response!

Does having the M Performance Splitter exacerbate the issue? In other words, would I have less of a problem since I don't intend to add the splitter?

Also, do you think that a Sport Line has more clearance than a M Sport? It kind of looks like it in the configurator since the M Sport seems to have an air dam that the Sport Line doesn't.
You definitely won't have any issues without the M Perf Splitter. Not sure of the difference between sport line and msport front clearance.
      06-16-2015, 04:46 PM   #5
Iceman51sn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaletto View Post
Thanks for the response!

I'm lowered and had the splitter until one day the front got caught on a dip and broke the middle piece off. I've read and heard many people have had this happen but I also have H&R springs and that dip was quite aggressive. Without it you'll definitely be fine.
Appreciate 0