E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Meguiar's #7 Glaze & #26 Wax - how good?

02-12-2008, 05:08 PM   #1
orionredwing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan, 135i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Meguiar's #7 Glaze & #26 Wax - how good?

For the past 10-15 years, I've been using and have believed Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze and #26 Carnauba Wax were the best products you can buy in over the counter stores like Kragen, Autozone, Walmart.

I have certainly been satisfied with the end results, and can definitely notice a night and day difference between other 'cheaper' products, like Turtle Wax.

However, after reading all the stickies, I wanted to inquire how big of a difference it'd be to switch over to the forum's recommended professional products, like Menzerna (FTG) or Klasse Sealant Glaze, or P21S for Carnauba Wax?

If you can provide a more descriptive reason than, 'Just do it! You won't regret it!', I'd appreciate it! I was very surprised that a search didn't show this discussion before, as Meguiar's #26 is so well known, popular, and up until now, I thought one of the 'best'.

Thanks,
orionredwing

PROcede | AMS FMIC | AR Catless DPs | AR Oil Cooler | BMS DCI
Wavetrac LSD | KW V3 w/ Swift Springs | M3 Front Suspension
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2008, 06:23 PM   #2
FMINUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: FMINUSDETAIL@gmail.com

Well for OTC, your 2 choices are great. If you can prep the paint correctly those 2 should be on par with even the high end waxes.

26 has a warmer glow than 16, but 16 beats 26 in durability bar far. #7 is nice for a super wet look, but it will last ONE day if you are lucky.

If you do not prep the paint correctly, it does not matter at all what waxes you use.

I have been detailing for 11 years and the first 9 were all about perfecting my polishing skills. I used OTC wax for the majority of the time. Since I believe polishing is about 90% of the final results, I only started going to high end products after I felt my polishing skills were good enough to get that last 10% oomph

Last edited by FMINUS; 02-12-2008 at 07:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2008, 06:49 PM   #3
beiowulf
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMINUS View Post
Well for OTC, your 2 choices are great. If you can prep the paint correctly those 2 should be on par with even the high end waxes.

26 has a warmer glow than 16, but 16 beats 26 in durability bar far. #7 is nice for a super wet look, but it will last ONE day if you are lucky.

If you do not prep the paint correctly, it does not matter at all what waxes you use.

I have been detailing for 11 years and the first 9 were all about perfecting my polishing skills. I used OTC wax for the majority of the time
don't suppose you want to educate us on how to start perfecting those polishing skillz
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2008, 06:58 PM   #4
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiowulf View Post
don't suppose you want to educate us on how to start perfecting those polishing skillz
i'm sure he would be happy to show you when you pay him to detail your car

and then after you go home and try it and mess up your paint he'll be happy to charge you double to fix it again
      02-12-2008, 07:00 PM   #5
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

To the OP - I have always found on my cars that the products you mentioned work well but do not last very long. I personally prefer a good glaze followed by a strong sealant and topped w/ a wax for the deepest/wet look I can get. Once the wax wears off I still have the sealant for protection, then just reapply the wax.

since you have a montego car as well here is mine after a few coats of Acrylic Jett, found here: http://www.jeffswerkstatt.com/acrylic-jett-trigger.php

I've been wanting to try JetSeal as well on my car.

This was without any glazes and after a 2 hr trip w/ out detail afterwards. I think it still looks really good and glossy.

02-12-2008, 07:03 PM   #6
FMINUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: FMINUSDETAIL@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiowulf View Post

Its kind of like painting a picture, its hard to learn by reading or even watching. You just have to keep doing it over and over and learn from that
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2008, 05:27 PM   #7
orionredwing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan, 135i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Thanks for the response guys. Looks like I can experiment with a new product here and there, instead of throwing away my existing batch entirely.

Sniz, your car looks great!

What are the comparable products to Acryllic Jett?

PROcede | AMS FMIC | AR Catless DPs | AR Oil Cooler | BMS DCI
Wavetrac LSD | KW V3 w/ Swift Springs | M3 Front Suspension
Appreciate 0