E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Boost leak

06-07-2015, 09:56 AM   #1
Dirtynorth
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92

Boost leak

Here's a stupid newb question.....
How do you know if you have a boost leak?
I purchased one of the cans compatible ob2 scanners that connects with your iPhone and I'm not making it past 2.7 psi according to the readout. The rest of the functions on the reader/app seem to be spot on. But with Dinan stage 2 I should be around 14 or so peak boost right? Even without the tune max boost is around 9 or so...
Wasn't sure if there were any quick easy things/common problems. Looked around and I don't see any blatant issues like disconnected or torn vacuum lines/loose charge piping ect
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 10:20 AM   #2
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtynorth View Post
Here's a stupid newb question.....
How do you know if you have a boost leak?
I purchased one of the cans compatible ob2 scanners that connects with your iPhone and I'm not making it past 2.7 psi according to the readout. The rest of the functions on the reader/app seem to be spot on. But with Dinan stage 2 I should be around 14 or so peak boost right? Even without the tune max boost is around 9 or so...
Wasn't sure if there were any quick easy things/common problems. Looked around and I don't see any blatant issues like disconnected or torn vacuum lines/loose charge piping ect
This is a known issue. Apps like torque read the intake man pressure which maxes at 2.7psi boost, since its meant for vacuum. The map sensor on the cp reads boost and can be logged w cobb, mhd etc.how do you like the dinan btw? Any misfires?
      06-07-2015, 10:38 AM   #3
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i 6MT E90

Like stated above, OBD readings on apps like that tend to be the same as yours.

If you were really only gettin 2.7psi, you'd get 30FF codes for underboost.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 07:23 AM   #4
Dirtynorth
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ah ok great. I figured as much but I just wanted to hear it from somebody. Do you guys use an addition boost gauge or just map your data using jb4 or Cobb?
Dinan is ok. I mean I don't think I'm getting as much power as the jb4 or Cobb guys but at the same time it's been pretty reliable. I get a little misfire at idle but it's not enough to be alarming by any means. Went through and put new Bosch plugs in but didn't change anything. Performance is unaffected so I figured it was just the tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 09:45 AM   #5
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I use JB4 gauge hijack for boost. Enable stealth hijack so it only shows live boost when you apply 50% or more throttle. It's pretty damn accurate. Cobb would be cool with the screen, but I can't watch the screen while I drive, so the hijack works perfectly.

The fuel gauge will show 5psi for every 1/4 tank mark. So when the needle is at 3/4 tank at WOT, you're seeing 15psi. You can also enable hijack for under/over target, Etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 09:53 AM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Under most circumstances if you had a boost leak you'd throw a 30FF code along with a check engine light.

Tunes don't really effect idle. If you have a misfire at idle you need to start troubleshooting.

It could be any one of the following (but not limited too), coils, injectors, leaking valve cover gasket, intake valve cleaning (walnut blasting), High pressure fuel pump.

If you have codes, post them here.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 07:40 AM   #7
Dirtynorth
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks guys.
No codes to speak of and I'm pretty sure you're spot on with my app just reading the map sensor as it maxes out at 2.7psi and just holds.
I just bought an autometer boost gauge and the ati pod so we'll see what the true reading is.
I had the car walnut blasted about 14k miles ago so I can't see that really being the issue so soon?
Just did plugs..... Seems like everybody has this problem.
I do get an audible clicking noise that I have concluded is the fuel vent return valve. Not sure what else to call it but it's located underneath the intake manifold. I have been told they can get loud and that this is normal. Wondering if it has something to do with my idle. Car doesn't misfire any other time.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 10:13 AM   #8
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys.
No codes to speak of and I'm pretty sure you're spot on with my app just reading the map sensor as it maxes out at 2.7psi and just holds.
I just bought an autometer boost gauge and the ati pod so we'll see what the true reading is.
I had the car walnut blasted about 14k miles ago so I can't see that really being the issue so soon?
I do get an audible clicking noise that I have concluded is the fuel vent return valve. Not sure what else to call it but it's located underneath the intake manifold. I have been told they can get loud and that this is normal. Wondering if it has something to do with my idle. Car doesn't misfire any other time.
A lot of people report only seeing 2.7psi from apps/OBD. It's not actually only getting 2.7psi. Log to confirm that.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 10:22 AM   #9
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Thanks guys.
That clicking is normal, assuming it goes away when you rev the engine, then comes back a few seconds later?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 01:19 PM   #10
Dirtynorth
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yes the clicking goes away when you step on it. Been doing it for a while with no noticeable issues. Update: installed a boost gauge and I'm peaking around 8/9. Dinan stage 2 is supposed to be 14.7. Since I bought the car from a dealer, I'm wondering if they flashed the car back to stock when they sold it. I called Dinan when I bought it and they confirmed it had stage 2 put on it in 2012. going to try and contact Dinan about getting it reinstalled. I'm thinking if my vin is registered with Dinan as stage 2 they should reinstall the tune for free.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 01:21 PM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Yes the clicking goes away when you step on it. Been doing it for a while with no noticeable issues. Update: installed a boost gauge and I'm peaking around 8/9. Dinan stage 2 is supposed to be 14.7. Since I bought the car from a dealer, I'm wondering if they flashed the car back to stock when they sold it. I called Dinan when I bought it and they confirmed it had stage 2 put on it in 2012. going to try and contact Dinan about getting it reinstalled. I'm thinking if my vin is registered with Dinan as stage 2 they should reinstall the tune for free.
If they need to reinstall the tune, they will do it for free.
If you have a boost leak, it is obviously on you.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0