E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > MOT time

06-02-2015, 05:30 AM   #1
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

MOT time

Just dropped my car off for an MOT, oil change, brake fluid change and to have stainless steel brake lines fitted. It's at an independent who has a garage also selling a lot of top end motors. Bentley continentals, Ferrari's, Porsche's , RR Vogues etc.

I can't help but feel that they will find something wrong with the car.
Alot of their customers are swimming in money and probably don't care what something costs. Anyway my fingers are crossed. I can't think of anything that should be a problem. It's just their way of saying things. 'Hopefully there's nothing too badly wrong with it' was a phrase they used. Maybe I'm just worrying too much.

The reason I write this post though is about tyres.

OldgreySteve has written before to warn people how the front tyres on a BMW can wear badly but not be visible. On runflats the reinforced structure of the tyre can hide this for some time. I thought my rear tyres would be bang on the limit of tread depth to get through. The guy took a look yesterday and just by chance had a look at my fronts. Low and behold on the inner part some parts are quite badly worn. Mine are not runflats so a failure would be a blowout possibly. It hasn't been on the ramp yet but I don't think it's bad enough to have any cord exposed, so I should get an advisory.

I went to 3 car tyre places yesterday to get them replaced in time for the MOT but nobody stocked the 225/35/19 size I needed. The tread depth is actually fine on the fronts. It's just the inner surface. Most likely down to the tracking going out over time I suppose. I blame speed humps, potholes, poorly laid drains etc. I paid for 4 wheel alignment when I got downpipes fitted. I think that was maybe 9 months ago?

I've often got down and looked at my tyres but didnt see anything until checking on full lock yesterday.

The other thing. My tyres are being ordered from Oponeo. I often use tyreleader as well. Got the pair for £210 where local places were looking for £275 fitted and balanced for the same tyres. It's a fair difference.
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 07:26 AM   #2
Jase 320d
Wheelbarrow Edition
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Arctic 320d

Depends how the mot tester is feeling

If they are like slicks on the inside i can see a fail coming

The bawbags did that to me last time although i thought it was something like has to be 1.6mm over 2/3rds of the tread

But i may be wrong

Mine failed for excessive inner shoulder wear on both rears
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 07:48 AM   #3
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
For my fronts, the outer bit seemed to wear off quicker....
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 07:55 AM   #4
ahmedb
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 Silverstone M3

I think it's a minimum of 1.6mm across at least 75% of the tyre.

Inner wear is ridiculously common on BMW's due to the camber. Have you owned the car from new or do you think the camber may have been tampered with in the past to accommodate different wheels?

Oponeo are awesome, I recently used them and they delivered my tyres to my local tyre garage within a couple of days.

Are you running runflats on your 19's? Keep an eye out for cracks on the rear wheels if so as this is a well known flaw with 19" wheels and runflats.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 09:01 AM   #5
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

I run the hankook s1 evo2 tyres. The car had 4 of these on it when I bought it last March. I decided to keep them as my car was able to get up hills in the snow and the ride feels nice.
The front tyres are really cracked as they've been on for quite a while. As there was lots of tread I thought they'd be good for a while. Front wheel wear is nothing compared to the rears.
The previous owner may have adjusted the camber but I had alignment done just last year so I thought they'd be ok.

For £250 for a pair of rears and £210 for a pair of fronts, delivered it's not too bad.

I've done quite a lot of spirited driving though and the rears have only lasted since October. Now I know how fast the car is, I don't think I'll be running it at Santa Pod etc as ofen so they should fair better.
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 09:21 AM   #6
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Well it's passed but apparently fitting braided hoses for the rear lines to the rear brakes is quite a big job.
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 11:53 AM   #7
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo

Kwik fit last time said my inner edges were worn, i just said thats because of the camber the car is set to run at (true) and they were okay with it.

Saying that... MOT time tomorrow!
      06-02-2015, 02:50 PM   #8
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Update on the brake lines. Apparently there were just 2 tubes that couldn't be unattached as they'd seized. All other parts were done. Can have the last bit done but it may take a few hours of labour. Left it for now.
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 02:20 PM   #9
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS
Update on the brake lines. Apparently there were just 2 tubes that couldn't be unattached as they'd seized. All other parts were done. Can have the last bit done but it may take a few hours of labour. Left it for now.
I think a similar thing happened with mine when i took it to oldgreysteve. They had to replace the whole rear section with new pipe. I think Steve said it can happen on an E9X.
Appreciate 0