E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Puncture in Run Flat

02-11-2008, 03:11 AM   #1
DervFan
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW (E91) 325d M Sport Touring

Garage List
Unhappy Puncture in Run Flat

I knew today wasn't going to be good, Monday morning and all . I defrosted the car and took a slow jaunt down the lane in the ice and severe frost.

After a few miles, the run-flat indicator came up on the dash. I drove on a little further to find somewhere convenient to stop. Unfortunately I've driven over a 1/4inch countersunk screw, which has buried itself in my tyre.

It hasn't damaged the wall and I made the conscious effort to turn-around and come home, so I've only driven it for about 4 miles. Now I 've used the , but haven't managed to come across anyone national that can repair run-flats. The tyre is a Michelin 225/40 ZR18Y.

Does anyone know any agents in North Essex? I'll have a ring around otherwise....
      02-11-2008, 03:31 AM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Sorry to hear about your misfortune Mate.

If i can contact my father i will ask him. He had a fee run-flats repaired on 05.
      02-11-2008, 03:45 AM   #3
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DervFan View Post
I knew today wasn't going to be good, Monday morning and all . I defrosted the car and took a slow jaunt down the lane in the ice and severe frost.

After a few miles, the run-flat indicator came up on the dash. I drove on a little further to find somewhere convenient to stop. Unfortunately I've driven over a 1/4inch countersunk screw, which has buried itself in my tyre.

It hasn't damaged the wall and I made the conscious effort to turn-around and come home, so I've only driven it for about 4 miles. Now I 've used the , but haven't managed to come across anyone national that can repair run-flats. The tyre is a Michelin 225/40 ZR18Y.

Does anyone know any agents in North Essex? I'll have a ring around otherwise....
So long as the screw is in the middle section of the tyre, so that the patch would sit completely flat, it should be repairable. If you have driven on it with significant deflation, then the sidewall may be damaged, if it held a reasonable amount of air you should be OK.

The problem is finding a tyre fitter who agrees with this.

I tried all the national companys - Nationwide, ATS, Kwikfit and all my local branches said no chance. I also tried 4 local independants until I eventually found someone who could do it - bit they are in the West Midlands.

I have read reports that Kwik Fit etc have done this, so it may be worth ringing round anyway.

Good luck .. there are people who will sort this for you, just a question of finding them.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 03:57 AM   #4
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

I've had a run flat repaired without any problems. All of the main chains, ATS, Kwikfit etc said you can't repair runflats and refused to look at it but I went to a local independent place who were happy to do it.
      02-11-2008, 04:18 AM   #5
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
When I had a screwed tyre a couple of weeks ago the local ATS actually offered that they could repair if it was not near the sidewall, so probably worth asking the question of your local tyre places.

In my case it was about 20mm from the sidewall. A shame really as I noticed it before it lost any pressure and kept it inflated to within 0.5 bar of what it should have been, so ideal for a repair.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 04:31 AM   #6
DervFan
Captain
England
Rep

Garage List
Thanks Guys, I popped up to my local tyre fitter. Funnily enough they can and will repair runflats

You'd be suprised the amount of rebukes that I received from other fitters, stating you "can't repair runflats" and if you find someone that will "it will invalidate your insurance"

My local fitter, said that they regularly repair runflats as long as they haven't been driven completely flat and that the intruding object isn't too close to the sidewall. He also said that he feels that there is a conspiracy between the car manufacturers and tyres manufacturers with regard to advice on repairing runflats.

Unfortunately like yours Matt, my screw has entered a little too close for comfort Therefore I've had to go down the replacement route.

Fortunately they are doing me a good deal on replacement 225/40 ZR18 88Y at £152 +VAT. I rang my BMW dealer and they wanted £245 (but that DID include fitting - I bloody well hope so at that price ! )

So Roofer/Carlos, anyone else in North Essex, if you need a runflat repair, pop along to Thaxted Tyres, (Thaxted, near Great Dunmow) and they might be able to help....
Attached Images

02-11-2008, 05:03 AM   #7
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Fortunately they are doing me a good deal on replacement 225/40 ZR18 88Y at £152 +VAT. I rang my BMW dealer and they wanted £245 (but that DID include fitting - I bloody well hope so at that price ! )

So Roofer/Carlos, anyone else in North Essex, if you need a runflat repair, pop along to Thaxted Tyres, (Thaxted, near Great Dunmow) and they might be able to help....
Sounds like a good outfit. There is no way that the tyre could be fixed with the damage right near the edge like that, so a new tyre is the only option.

If they have it in stock or can get it quickly for that price, then job well done.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 05:16 AM   #8
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Derv where is this garage?
      02-11-2008, 05:31 AM   #9
DervFan
Captain
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
Sounds like a good outfit. There is no way that the tyre could be fixed with the damage right near the edge like that, so a new tyre is the only option.

If they have it in stock or can get it quickly for that price, then job well done.
Thanks NFS, glad you concur on their assessment They've ordered the tyre this morning, and will fit it at 4pm this 'avo !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Derv where is this garage?
Opposite the Chip Shop in Thaxted, on the corner of Park St.
Attached Images

02-11-2008, 05:50 AM   #10
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep

Garage List
The prices don't half vary.

Mine is a Bridgestone, but very similar in price. Most of the local chains and independants would do one for £175~180 fitted. My dealer wanted £220, but after pointing out how much more expensive that was they came down to within £10 of the others.

Mine was in a pretty near identical position, too damn close to the sidewall.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 05:59 AM   #11
DervFan
Captain
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh93sa View Post

Mine is a Bridgestone, but very similar in price. Most of the local chains and independants would do one for £175~180 fitted. My dealer wanted £220, but after pointing out how much more expensive that was they came down to within £10 of the others.

I went back to my stealer on price, but their parts dept were like "Take it or Leave it"

Stealers by name, stealers by nature.....
      02-11-2008, 06:05 AM   #12
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

I paid around £650 for a set of 18 inch Bridgestone RE50's recently.

Gives you an idea what these guys must pay for the tyres wholesale - compared to Kwik Fits mark up
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 06:22 AM   #13
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep

Garage List
I came across this site whilst browsing for mine:

http://www.fasttyres.co.uk/

Anyone used them as they look pretty cheap?

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 06:51 AM   #14
TimsterC
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '12 E91 318d & '16 F46 220d Xd

Garage List
Has anyone tried Costco for tyres. My local branch (Reading) has a tyre fitting bay and it always seems busy.
2016 F46 220d xDrive Sport Gran Tourer B47 2.0d : Medeterranian Blue : Towbar : Privacy Glass
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 07:12 AM   #15
DervFan
Captain
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimsterC View Post
Has anyone tried Costco for tyres. My local branch (Reading) has a tyre fitting bay and it always seems busy.
I've used them in the past when I had my Audi TT. I believe that they only stock(ed) Michelin tyres at the time. I haven't used them for a while, because my previous car was covered by a VW Service contract that replaced 'all' consumables including tyres for 3 years.

They were pretty good at the time, and I suppose they must be reasonably competitive still, because whenever I visit Costco, they're always busy.

The only drawback is the over two hour wait (even if it means a jaunt around their wares ) and some spotty oik driving your car from the car park to their ramp, recklessly
      02-11-2008, 08:21 AM   #16
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks Guys, I popped up to my local tyre fitter. Funnily enough they can and will repair runflats

You'd be suprised the amount of rebukes that I received from other fitters, stating you "can't repair runflats" and if you find someone that will "it will invalidate your insurance"

My local fitter, said that they regularly repair runflats as long as they haven't been driven completely flat and that the intruding object isn't too close to the sidewall. He also said that he feels that there is a conspiracy between the car manufacturers and tyres manufacturers with regard to advice on repairing runflats.

Unfortunately like yours Matt, my screw has entered a little too close for comfort Therefore I've had to go down the replacement route.

Hi DervFan, I recently had a puncture in my RFT and the screw was also close to the sidewall (without damaging it). I went to the local tyre place and the guy there said that the repair would probably not work due to the patch not having a flat surface at the edge of the tyre.

He was right, and after a week or so the tyre started to slowly go down again. He also suggested using a bottle of Slime as a further solution in the eventuality.
I got a couple of bottles on Ebay and thankfully this seems to now have done the trick.

I was determined not to replace the tyre considering there was only 5000 miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 09:16 AM   #17
DervFan
Captain
England
Rep

Garage List
OK, so now I've had the tyre replaced. How do I reset the Runflat indicator on the dash. This is non-Idrive. I've followed the handbook, but it hasn't worked....any ideas? or shall I ring my stealer?
      02-11-2008, 09:20 AM   #18
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Working from memory here from the loaner I had a while ago.

You need to be stopped with the engine on, then you can use teh up/down scroll thing on the left stalk to get to something related to tyre monitor where you then get the option to reset.

As you drive off the system re-initialises and then you should be set.

Sorry it's a bit vague - I-drive is easier.

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 09:30 AM   #19
DervFan
Captain
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Working from memory here from the loaner I had a while ago.

You need to be stopped with the engine on, then you can use teh up/down scroll thing on the left stalk to get to something related to tyre monitor where you then get the option to reset.

As you drive off the system re-initialises and then you should be set.

Sorry it's a bit vague - I-drive is easier.
Thanks Matt.
The instructions are a little misleading in the guide as they feature the word INIT not RESET as displayed, so I was a . Anyhow now all is great and working again....until the next puncture

Oh, and my run of good fortune continues today, in that whilst the car was on the jacks, I see that I need two rear tyres, as they're borderline legal
Is that acceptable at 17.5K miles?

Last edited by DervFan; 02-11-2008 at 09:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 09:45 AM   #20
DervFan
Captain
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330cdsport View Post
Hi DervFan, I recently had a puncture in my RFT and the screw was also close to the sidewall (without damaging it). I went to the local tyre place and the guy there said that the repair would probably not work due to the patch not having a flat surface at the edge of the tyre.

He was right, and after a week or so the tyre started to slowly go down again. He also suggested using a bottle of Slime as a further solution in the eventuality.
I got a couple of bottles on Ebay and thankfully this seems to now have done the trick.

I was determined not to replace the tyre considering there was only 5000 miles on it.
Thanks for the feedback 330. I guess with 17.5K on them, I can't really complain and this couldn't have been repaired even if it wasn't an RFT - although it would have been cheaper to replace. I think I'll have one more go with RFTs and then look at swapping to non-RFTs next time around.
      02-11-2008, 09:56 AM   #21
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep

Garage List
The reputation of RFTs seems to be that they will wear more quickly if the pressure is even slightly low. At 4.5k miles I can't really comment yet.

However, even that 4.5k miles the tyre monitor system picked up the new tyre and needed to be reset.

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 10:18 AM   #22
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport MY20

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimsterC View Post
They have an offer on usually around January and then again around Easter then again round Sept then Xmas.

Where you can get some money off for fitting the whole car out. It Michelin's only. They don't have RFT's in all the time but are usually good to get them in quick. There is a wait when fitting - So best to pop car in then walk around store or sit in the coffee shop and have some snacks while waiting.
Long gone -15 Peugeot 308 2.0HDi GT AUTO Magnetic Blue, 10 BMW F10 520D SE Xirallic Imperial blue/Cinnamon Brown, 06 E90 320si - Le Mans Blue - Totally standard specification (Scrapped RIP 12/08/2010), 00 Peugeot 306 2.0 SE Cabriolet, 94 Rover 214 SEi, 91 Fiat Uno 60S Mk2
Appreciate 0