BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-31-2015, 09:46 AM   #1
faztaz
08 X3 6spd
Rep
Drives: 13 X3 35i MSport

Hitch

Has anyone installed a hitch on the X5M or X6M yet? May also want to tow a jetski or small boat from time to time.

I bike a lot and want to use the hitch mounted rack off my X3 on an X5M. Don't want to risk damaging the roof or increase the height requirement by using roof racks. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 05:54 PM   #2
dr.waxman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

I have my X5M on order with hitch from factory-apparently automatically folds under carriage when not in use.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 11:07 PM   #3
faztaz
08 X3 6spd
Rep
Drives: 13 X3 35i MSport

Is this hitch a ball or the regular square 2" connector which I can slide a backrack into? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 07:01 AM   #4
dr.waxman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

I believe it is the ball type
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 07:07 AM   #5
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp Pack

I believe the hitch dr.waxman is speaking of is only available outside of the USA. That type of hitch was available on the E70 from the factory for countries outside of the USA, but was never made an option here, due to the DOT not allowing it. Most people who wished a hitch of this sort, the kind that remains invisible when not in use, would use one from execuhitch.com
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 01:02 PM   #6
SNAGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant View Post
I believe the hitch dr.waxman is speaking of is only available outside of the USA. That type of hitch was available on the E70 from the factory for countries outside of the USA, but was never made an option here, due to the DOT not allowing it. Most people who wished a hitch of this sort, the kind that remains invisible when not in use, would use one from execuhitch.com
Execuhitch is waiting for a "loaner" for one day from a local dealer or a new owner in their local area, Atlanta GA I believe so they can access what they need to do for the parts.

I can't wait and wish the BMW NA would have a solution for us, but they currently don't.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 11:59 AM   #7
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAGuy View Post
Execuhitch is waiting for a "loaner" for one day from a local dealer or a new owner in their local area, Atlanta GA I believe so they can access what they need to do for the parts.

I can't wait and wish the BMW NA would have a solution for us, but they currently don't.
Over the past few years, I've noticed BMW's Achilles heal has been anything to do with accessories for their vehicles. BMW NA is particularly bad at bringing to the USA anything BMW has made available for the rest of the world.
Appreciate 0