E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > CEL's with a lot of codes (Procede box failing?)

05-29-2015, 07:19 AM   #1
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

CEL's with a lot of codes (Procede box failing?)

I've been experiencing the following codes while driving for the last couple of days. The symptoms are the below codes followed by a check engine light and reduced power. I've been able to turn off the code, clear codes and resume driving, for about 80 miles until the codes reappear. The codes are listed below:

12544 -boost presssure control deactivate
12003 - Coolant temp sensor, plausibilty
12190 -charging pressure sensor - Termic oil level sensor
10887 --Outlet-VANOS variable cam control test

The issue seems to be electrical to me, being that codes from different sections of the car are being tripped. Could it be that my 3 year old Procede box is failing and is sensors to trip?

Any help in tracking this down is appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 03:48 AM   #2
caliguy562
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Which map/firmware are you using? Funny thing is my car was also throwing that vanos code, only after a cold start though. I recently started getting the coolant temperature sensor code too after steady driving. It appears that the coolant code is procede related for sure. Has to do with the waste gate setting. I reinstalled the map and have been back to normal for a few days now, but I'm still keeping an eye on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 09:41 AM   #3
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy562 View Post
Which map/firmware are you using? Funny thing is my car was also throwing that vanos code, only after a cold start though. I recently started getting the coolant temperature sensor code too after steady driving. It appears that the coolant code is procede related for sure. Has to do with the waste gate setting. I reinstalled the map and have been back to normal for a few days now, but I'm still keeping an eye on it.

Yes the coolant sensor plausibility code is procede related.

In my case having the built-in downpipe fix active would trip this code during steady highway driving.

The problem went away once I removed two wires from the harness which feed the procede's O2 simulator....

At one point Shiv strongly recommended this patch and I always suspected the reason was because the O2 simulator drew too much current and created an overload which the DME interpreted as a "plausibility gradient" condition for the coolant sensor because it shared the same ground wire as the O2 simulator.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 09:46 AM   #4
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel View Post
I've been experiencing the following codes while driving for the last couple of days. The symptoms are the below codes followed by a check engine light and reduced power. I've been able to turn off the code, clear codes and resume driving, for about 80 miles until the codes reappear. The codes are listed below:

12544 -boost presssure control deactivate
12003 - Coolant temp sensor, plausibilty
12190 -charging pressure sensor - Termic oil level sensor
10887 --Outlet-VANOS variable cam control test

The issue seems to be electrical to me, being that codes from different sections of the car are being tripped. Could it be that my 3 year old Procede box is failing and is sensors to trip?

Any help in tracking this down is appreciated!
I can't be of help other than to say that in the last few weeks I have seen my dash lights go haywire, similar to when the procede is not correctly connected.

It would cycle through a multitude of warning symbols and then limp out on me with a very rough idle. Pull over and restart and the problem clears.

I made recent changes to my backend flash which I stack with the procede, so I was thinking that the flash might be the culprit.....but maybe it could be a procede issue?

Are you running the piggy only, or stacking with a flash?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 09:23 AM   #5
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy562 View Post
I'm running the V5 9_10 Agressive stage 2 maps (MT). Its funny that you mentioned wastegates that because my car has been experiencing a lack of boost. I thought it was a vaccuum leak, but a smoke test revealed no such leak. My car has ~128k with stock turbos, so I know some due for some new turbos.

In an effort to resolve the problem, I've set the wastegate setting to 30% and haven't had the CELs in ~120 miles. But the car is definitely not as strong with even day to day driving (non boosted driving). I wan't to get to the bottom of this. I called Vishnu on Friday and received a callback in an hour, but I missed the call. I called them back and expect to receive a response on monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
Yes the coolant sensor plausibility code is procede related.

In my case having the built-in downpipe fix active would trip this code during steady highway driving.

The problem went away once I removed two wires from the harness which feed the procede's O2 simulator....

At one point Shiv strongly recommended this patch and I always suspected the reason was because the O2 simulator drew too much current and created an overload which the DME interpreted as a "plausibility gradient" condition for the coolant sensor because it shared the same ground wire as the O2 simulator.

Thats interesting. I'm not running the Procede built in fix, as it was recommeded not to run (as you mentioned). However, I am running a BMS DP fix... But I'm not sure if it is having an effect as I've been running it 2 years or more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
It would cycle through a multitude of warning symbols and then limp out on me with a very rough idle. Pull over and restart and the problem clears.

I made recent changes to my backend flash which I stack with the procede, so I was thinking that the flash might be the culprit.....but maybe it could be a procede issue?

Are you running the piggy only, or stacking with a flash?
I'm seeing the exact same thing, only I'm not seeing a crazy start up lights sequence. I'm running only the the procede. No back end flash, etc.

Last edited by secretsquirrel; 05-31-2015 at 09:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 04:20 AM   #6
caliguy562
Lieutenant
Rep

Keep us updated. I was running the auto tune map when all this craziness was happening. It would trip the vanos code after a cold start 90% of the time. I uploaded the aggressive 9-10 maps about a week ago and everything has been back to normal. Planning a 300 mile road trip tomorrow and we will see how that goes.

I believe the coolant code is definitely wastegate related. My car was running fine and as soon as I switched from map 4 to 0 with latest map, I heard the fans kicked in and lost throttle response. Also, I would suggest removing the dp fix. Use the procede auto clear feature as it provides a cleaner signal. For smog testing purposes, rewire the procede's dp patch..if you have those on your harness or put jb dp fix in temporarily.

My suggestion is to just reload the firmware and map. I think sometimes the procede just needs a good reboot. Kinda like when your phone or computer starts glitching.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 11:12 AM   #7
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

I'd start with fresh firmware and map.

Then look into removing the DP fix. You shouldn't run them long term.

Go from there.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 08:10 AM   #8
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep

Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm going to pull the dpfix, tune on auto clear and reload maps this weekend. I'll reply to this thread after a few days to report the results.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 09:37 AM   #9
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm going to pull the dpfix, tune on auto clear and reload maps this weekend. I'll reply to this thread after a few days to report the results.
And make sure you clear all codes as well and see what if anything comes back..

Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 07:31 PM   #10
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
And make sure you clear all codes as well and see what if anything comes back..

Mike
Will do. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 09:09 PM   #11
caliguy562
Lieutenant
Rep

300 miles and no coolant temperature codes after reinstalling software. I did get the vanos code on cold start. Perhaps the solenoids are sticking. Gonna switch them out this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 10:57 AM   #12
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep

I removed the dpfix, reinstalled the firmware, and changed out my vanos solenoids, and I'm good again!

It looks like vanos code was somehow linked to the Coolant temp sensor with the procede. Thanks for your help, guys.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 01:16 PM   #13
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
I removed the dpfix, reinstalled the firmware, and changed out my vanos solenoids, and I'm good again!

It looks like vanos code was somehow linked to the Coolant temp sensor with the procede. Thanks for your help, guys.
Glad you're all set

Mike
Appreciate 0