E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Had the windows tinted

02-09-2008, 11:53 AM   #1
Michael Cassel
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport Saloon (Sept '07)

Garage List
Had the windows tinted

Hi all, long time no posts from me so I thought I'd give you an update.

I had my windows tinted last week by Pentagon (Acton W3). Very professional and good service and highly recommended. I had all the windows done (except windscreen) and needed to sign a disclaimer regarding the current legal position on having tints in the front. I had a 33% tint all around, which they call "smoke". The rear windows are darker because the "sun protection glazing" was already fitted. I think it looks great and makes a big difference inside the cabin. I really noticed the difference on Friday afternoon when I collected it as the weather coming home was bright and sunny.

I also had "supaglass" included in the tinting for an extra £200. The company is not cheap but has a very good rep. I paid £595 +VAT in total. The have given a guarantee to remove the tints from front windows FOC if required by law and service comes with a lifetime guarantee against defects etc. One thing that was quite interesting is that the guarantee is for the customer and not the car. So if I sell the car on then the new owner would have to approach the company and pay a charge to retain the guarantee.

I'll take post some pictues to my garage or here asap. Hopefully you can see the difference in the pictures.

If anyone is interested the company website is http://www.pentagonglasstech.com/window-tinting.php

Michael
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 02:17 PM   #2
CD
gone ... but i will be back !
England
Rep
Drives: 335D Coupe

i really want to do this as well , black coupes look excellent tinted

but in my area at the moment they are really cracking down on it big time !! if the front sides are done in any tint ( worth doing ) the police pull you and give a £30 fine, and in some cases make you remove them there and then ( i know they carnt offiially do that, but i know 2 people who they have done it to very recently .. one mate has a new 911 and the other a Type R both were made to 'rip' them out while the copper stood there !!? )

in most of the rest of europe its legal, in america is legal ... so why not here

- GOVERNMENT sort it out

E92 335D / QUAIFE LSD / EIBACH / DIMISA / REMAP / 19" HAMANN EDITION RACE REPS
... USUALLY WITH A HEALTHY SPLATTERING OF GOOD OLD YORKSHIRE MUD ...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 02:35 PM   #3
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
I think you'll find there is a countrywide campaign being run at the moment specifically aimed at illegal number plates,tinted windows are also being targetted.
I went through a Police checkpoint on the Jamaica Road only the other day and it was clear that number plates and tints were the subject of Police attention.

I know 2 people who have been served with a Rectification notice within the last month alone for tints, one also was prosecuted for having illegal plates (the plate was private, but was the wrong font,wrong size and had no gap between the letters/numbers)

I'm amazed that Pentagon actually carried out the work in honesty as they are leaving themselves open to prosecution,it certainly flies in the face of their own advice on their own website!

Not something I would consider doing.

Michael, I suggest you drive around with your front windows down if you see any Police.

Please Note:

Pentagon as a group have always sought to ensure that the tints we supply are both safe for road use and acceptable within the law. Throughout our history we have regularly consulted the Police, Road Safety Groups and other Authorities for guidance on this matter.

Our policy has been not to supply tints on the driver and forward passenger windows that may obscure the vision of the driver in any driving conditions. This follows similar practices that have existed for decades in other parts of the world (such as in the USA and Australia) where window tinting above prescribed levels of Visible Light Transmission is widely employed and accepted as being safe for road use by the Authorities concerned.

To illustrate the confusion that exists about the current law in the UK, Pentagon have been requested in the past to supply tints to the Royal Family, the Prime Minister and for many Police Officers including Chief Constables.

We will continue in our efforts to campaign for a change in legislation that may eventually allow window tints which are known to be road safe on these windows, as is permitted in other parts of the world. Window tinting provides many benefits as you will have experienced and we feel that the motorist should have an opportunity for greater safety, security and comfort in their vehicles provided that this does not compromise road safety.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 03:00 PM   #4
Michael Cassel
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport Saloon (Sept '07)

Garage List
I thought long and hard about the tinting. In the end Pentagon Glass were the only company I felt safe with. They tested the light in the front and back in my presence. The front windows are at 33% according to their readings although in contrast to the rear windows and light interior in my car it gives the impression that the tints are still only factory glass. Also Pentagon have assured me they will remove the tints if required at no charge. If I wasn't given that assurance I would not have gone through with it.

Its a shame that tints are not allowed in the front because they do enhance the car and do not affect safety, especially at 33%.
Appreciate 0