proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

05-21-2015, 04:20 PM   #1
andrewchoidds
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

M4 New Owner

Hello everyone

I just purchased a M4, and I am loving it.

I already have rock chips here and there on the front bumper.

I don't know how, but already got a scratch on my rear bumper

I would like to get some tips on the essential things I should do in order to keep my car in tip top shape.

Here are some things I am thinking about.

Clearbra (but how much of the car would you do?)
Touch up paint for the rock chips (would you do it yourself? or is it worth having a pro do it?)
Scratch (the scratch is about 4 inches and its pretty deep, take it to a pro?

I am a big noob, went from an honda accord that I didn't give an F about to an M4 that I adore, so I need some tips and guidance.

Thanks in advance!

BTW, I am in the Inland Empire in California. So if anyone have shops or meets that they recommend please let me know!

Andrew
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2015, 05:33 PM   #2
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Ahh, the good ole IE...

CA roads, especially freeways, have a lot of rocks flying around waiting to put chips in your car. The best (only?) way to protect against that in a reasonable way is the clear bra. Xpel or SunTek are the only ones worth considering for now. They are both very good; I chose by installer. I found the best installer I'm comfortable trusting, and went with the product he offered (SunTek in my case). I don't even know it's there. Most get the full front (bumper, hood, mirrors, fenders). You may want to do part of the roof, lower rockers, etc.

You must touch up the paint before the clear bra. It will look horrible otherwise. There seem to be two systems that work pretty well. Dr.ColorChips, and Langka. Google them and you can choose what you think will be best. Langka uses OEM touch-up paint. Also, look up a video by Larry of AmmoNYC on how he does touch-ups. It's painstaking, but will yield the best results.

In preparation of the clear bra, you will want to have the car properly detailed. Wash, Iron-X, Clay, Paint correction if needed. If you didn't care much about the Accord, I'm guessing you don't have a lot of experience detailing cars. Best to trust a professional.

For the scratch on the rear bumper, it's hard to make a recommendation without seeing it. 4" is pretty big IMO, and if it's deep, you won't be able to fill it with just paint. Might be best to have a pro look at it.

Once you get the car all cleaned up, a lot of people put a sealant or coating on to protect the paint and make washing easier. You can put it all over the car, including over the clear bra. Many choices out there. I used Optimum Gloss Coat, a coating that's supposed to last ~2 yrs.

You're lucky you're in SoCal. When the mod bug hits, you have all the drug dealers right there to supply you with your dope! The best part is you can go listen to some exhausts!

Congrats on the new M!
Appreciate 2
      05-26-2015, 11:23 AM   #3
andrewchoidds
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
Ahh, the good ole IE...

CA roads, especially freeways, have a lot of rocks flying around waiting to put chips in your car. The best (only?) way to protect against that in a reasonable way is the clear bra. Xpel or SunTek are the only ones worth considering for now. They are both very good; I chose by installer. I found the best installer I'm comfortable trusting, and went with the product he offered (SunTek in my case). I don't even know it's there. Most get the full front (bumper, hood, mirrors, fenders). You may want to do part of the roof, lower rockers, etc.

You must touch up the paint before the clear bra. It will look horrible otherwise. There seem to be two systems that work pretty well. Dr.ColorChips, and Langka. Google them and you can choose what you think will be best. Langka uses OEM touch-up paint. Also, look up a video by Larry of AmmoNYC on how he does touch-ups. It's painstaking, but will yield the best results.

In preparation of the clear bra, you will want to have the car properly detailed. Wash, Iron-X, Clay, Paint correction if needed. If you didn't care much about the Accord, I'm guessing you don't have a lot of experience detailing cars. Best to trust a professional.

For the scratch on the rear bumper, it's hard to make a recommendation without seeing it. 4" is pretty big IMO, and if it's deep, you won't be able to fill it with just paint. Might be best to have a pro look at it.

Once you get the car all cleaned up, a lot of people put a sealant or coating on to protect the paint and make washing easier. You can put it all over the car, including over the clear bra. Many choices out there. I used Optimum Gloss Coat, a coating that's supposed to last ~2 yrs.

You're lucky you're in SoCal. When the mod bug hits, you have all the drug dealers right there to supply you with your dope! The best part is you can go listen to some exhausts!

Congrats on the new M!
than you that helped a lot!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 11:28 AM   #4
VDBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMB F82

I feel your pain with the rock chips and unexplained scratch on the bumper our scratch isnt that big though and hardly noticeable unless you literarily get on your knees and stare at it for 10-15 seconds..

but I am waiting till there is multiple chips like 4-5 before taking it in to get some touch up paint so they can do them all at once and get it over with. It's inevitable and will happen as long as you drive the car which is why I would assume most of us bought the car to begin with
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 11:28 AM   #5
andrewchoidds
Registered
Rep

Question is the Alpine White III X5 same as the Alpine White III M4?

As long as the color code is both 300?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 11:39 AM   #6
2HIGH~PSI
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '94 Supra TT 6MT, '15 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
Ahh, the good ole IE...

Congrats on the new M!
What he said.
Appreciate 0