THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack General Question on Tire Balance

05-18-2015, 10:19 PM   #1
Grychen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 | 2017 M4

General Question on Tire Balance

Hi,

One week ago I drove over a pothole and got my RFT wrecked. The dealer replaced a new RFT 2 days ago. After I picked up the vehicle, I have some concerns and wish if someone can answer my questions.

Below is the current status of all 4 tires:

driver front: original tire (car bought June 2014, 6000 miles), 43 psi
driver rear: original tire (car bought June 2014, 6000 miles), 43 psi
passenger front: just replaced 2 days ago, 37 psi
passenger rear: replaced 4 months ago, 41 psi

Two questions I have and would like to make sure dealer isn't fooling me (by fooling me means dealer doesn't care about tire wear or my safety):

1. Are those tire pressure numbers looking okay? I always thought they should be around similar numbers eventhough one tire was just replaced.

2. Since I have 2 new RFTs, does the vehicle need to have tire rotation for every couple thousands miles driving?

Sorry for asking noob questions as this is my first new vehicle. Thank you so much for everyone's time.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 10:35 PM   #2
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

you should adjust the pressure to whatever it says on the door label...
should be around 32 front 38 rear
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 08:23 AM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

To add a few comments.
If your car has the same size tire on all four corners the owners manual states they can be rotated - and that the dealer has the details. I don't recall if owners manual has rotation diagrams, though many times the tire manufacturer web site has their rotation recommendation. Sometimes tires just get switched front to back sometimes front to back with a side to side switch. But usually rotations occur every six-thousand miles or maybe greater at once a year.

Your tire pressures do seem too high - and if the door jamb plaque has lower recommendation pressures that could/might minimize to some degree your susceptability to RunFlat failures.

They make (BMW branded model I have) really nice inexpensive digital tire gauges, along with in car TPMS, tire pressure monitoring should be easy.
Set tire pressure when tires are cold from sitting over night and you can use a bicycle pump to add air, or dealer if your only inflating with nitrogen. But having a tire pressure gauge allows you to monitor the cold pressure reading before the tires have heated up through driving.
Sometimes dealers over inflate tires so that the owner car check tire pressure when cold and deflate to get to recommended pressure - which is very convenient
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 11:22 AM   #4
Pyewacket69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Yes, knowing what temperature the tires are at the time of pressure measurement is a "must".

Without that information, it's impossible to say if the pressures are reasonable or not.

Of course, if they read something like 97 PSI, they probably are over-inflated.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 11:40 AM   #5
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewacket69 View Post
Yes, knowing what temperature the tires are at the time of pressure measurement is a "must".

Without that information, it's impossible to say if the pressures are reasonable or not.

Of course, if they read something like 97 PSI, they probably are over-inflated.
if they were at 97psi they would be blown already
Appreciate 0