E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Is this setup doable?

05-15-2015, 08:40 AM   #1
fackamato
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Comp

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Is this setup doable?

Hi,

This is what I am planning in the E92, I'm just looking to get a heads up or something from you more experienced guys here on the forums.

* Stock head unit, re-coded from Base to HiFi (TBD)
* Sundown X-12 subwoofer in trunk (sealed box for now) with a SAZ-1200D amp
* Helix DSP (6x RCA in, 8x RCA out + remote out)
* Aftermarket speakers in the doors (front/rear), I've yet to hear how bad they are since the install hasn't happened yet (they're branded "In Phase"...)
* Stock underseat subs for now (new ones later...)
* Pioneer GM-D8604 4x100W RMS amp
* That's it to start with, if the aftermarket speakers are bad I'll get something else with passive crossovers and tweeters, replace the pillar covers and install tweeters there.

Will this work, like this?
Head unit front outputs (which are now low-level) goes to DSP.
DSP channel 1/2: Front L/R
DSP channel 3/4: Under seat woofers L/R
DSP channel 5: sub in trunk

Connect wire from cigarette lighter to remote in on the DSP. Wire remote out from the DSP to the Pioneer and Sundown amp. (I believe the Pioneer has remote out for daisy chaining, if not I'll parallel the remote wires to both amps)

The Pioneer amp will power the front speakers + underseat subs.

The head unit will still power the rear speakers, but I'll have the fader set to 100% front. This will still give me PDC and "gong" sounds, correct?

Am I thinking straight or will this set my car on fire?

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 09:59 AM   #2
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Are you using a LOC?

Also, the underseat woofers can go off one channel and then you can run one channel to the rear speakers as well. May be better for getting everything blended right.

And if you leave everything else in the car as is you will still get the gongs and everything.

You don't need to set fader to 100% front either.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 10:03 AM   #3
fackamato
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
Are you using a LOC?

Also, the underseat woofers can go off one channel and then you can run one channel to the rear speakers as well. May be better for getting everything blended right.

And if you leave everything else in the car as is you will still get the gongs and everything.

You don't need to set fader to 100% front either.

Not using a LOC as I'll recode the stereo from base to HiFi, which if I understand correctly, will change the outputs on the speaker wires from high to low signal. So straight from head unit to DSP. But, if for whatever reason this doesn't work or I can't re-code the HU, the DSP does take 4 high level inputs.

The amp only has 4 channels, (2 stereo channels), so I'd have to use 1 channel for front left/right and the other channel for underfloor subs. That leaves nothing left for rears hence my question on leaving them on the HU.
If I leave the rears on the HU (and if that works) I'd like to set the fader to 100% front as I don't want music/radio coming from the rear speaker, only the PDC/gong sounds.

Does that make sense?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 10:52 AM   #4
csu87
Banned
Rep

I believe the gong sounds come from speakers under/in the dash. Not sure about the base system though. I have the HiFi and I have speakers under the dash.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 11:02 AM   #5
fackamato
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I believe the gong sounds come from speakers under/in the dash. Not sure about the base system though. I have the HiFi and I have speakers under the dash.
Sounds like you're right I think: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=421742

So the gong sounds appear independent. But the PDC appears to come from the rear speakers (to be confirmed...), so I would need them hooked up I think.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 11:06 AM   #6
csu87
Banned
Rep

after looking it up, sounds like you are right and will need the rear speakers still connected for the pdc

I guess thats why I dont have the pdc sound anymore, but i never really thought about it or cared enough i guess

once you get another amp for the rear speakers, you can use the rear outputs for them and youll have the pdc sounds.

I may mess with mine this weekend to confirm. Probably wont though because i have to pull my entire install out to get to the inputs...

Last edited by csu87; 05-15-2015 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 11:34 AM   #7
fackamato
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
after looking it up, sounds like you are right and will need the rear speakers still connected for the pdc

I guess thats why I dont have the pdc sound anymore, but i never really thought about it or cared enough i guess

once you get another amp for the rear speakers, you can use the rear outputs for them and youll have the pdc sounds.

I may mess with mine this weekend to confirm. Probably wont though because i have to pull my entire install out to get to the inputs...
I guess one way to confirm is to set fader to 100% FRONT and try out the PDC, if it still sounds then that might be a viable option going forward (until I amp the rears, if ever)
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 12:54 PM   #8
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

I think PDC comes from the back in every case

Guys that amp the rears in these system often complain
about the volume of the PDC afterwards.
Guys that put in aftermarket decks have there PDC disappear
unless they buy a Dynavin N6 or I think some do a parallel mount
to overcome it.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 12:57 PM   #9
fackamato
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Guys that amp the rears in these system often complain
about the volume of the PDC afterwards.
Guys that put in aftermarket decks have there PDC disappear
unless they buy a Dynavin N6 or I think some do a parallel mount
to overcome it.
They complain about it being too loud? You can set the PDC volume in options on the head unit
Appreciate 0