E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Advice on Parking Charge Notice - from a Private Company

05-11-2015, 06:37 AM   #1
SA320
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Advice on Parking Charge Notice - from a Private Company

Hi All

The driver took the car to the gym last week and came back to see that a ticket had been slapped on the side window. It wasn't their intention to park 'where they want'. They normally go at 6.30 in the morning and because it's so early get a spot right outside the entrance. However this time they had to park slightly further away.

It's been issued by 'PTL - Parking Ticketing Limited' - one of these private companies. The reason on the ticket is 'no permit' So it looks like because they were parked in a white bay (although it was a marked bay) they've done the driver for £60.

This is the sign that the gym have put up:

There are two types of marked bays at the gym, blue AND white. This sign states 'Park within marked bays' - which the driver did. The drivers interpretation was to park in any of the marked bays, regardless of colour. At the end of the day, the photo shows a white car parked in a white bay so the driver don't feel like they've done anything wrong.

The driver has done some reading and people say they should just ignore their constant letters etc. However because the car is in someone elses name the driver doesn't want it to have any negative repercussions on the registered driver.

Should the driver:

- Appeal, and say the thoughts above about the marked bay. If so, does the driver stand a chance?

- Ignore, wait for them to write to the registered keeper and then say the car was cloned and they have no idea given it wasn't them driving the car!

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Last edited by SA320; 05-11-2015 at 08:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 10:51 AM   #2
half Colin
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330D M Sport

I take it you haven't seen this recent thread

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1063497
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 11:33 AM   #3
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Appeal, should be an easy win if it is not easy to determine which bays to park in.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 10:07 AM   #4
sal_park
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91 325i manual

Have a good root around here:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=60
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 04:40 PM   #5
225_AB
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 330D  [0.00]
Another thumbs up for pepipoo.

You will find template appeal letters etc
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 02:28 AM   #6
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport, Silver

Fight it and SCREW THE BARSTEWARDS!

Good luck and let us know!
      06-11-2015, 03:35 AM   #7
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Seems a bit weird the ticket was issued by a different company to that which the sign says, and also that it's for a different value to what the sign says (albeit cheaper).

I'm no expert, but that seems like an easy case to appeal and win purely on that basis - as you've been fined by a different company to that on the notices, for a different amount to that on the notices, on that basis for which there is no warning or information on at all. The comments about parking bays above can only add further strings to your bow.

The only issue would be if the bay he parked in wasn't part of the gym lot run by ECP. They'd best check there are no other signs anywhere for this other bunch of CaringUnderstandingNintiesTypes.

Last edited by Russbmw; 06-11-2015 at 03:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 02:23 PM   #8
mkultr4
Rep
Drives: BMW

There was a program on TV within the last few weeks...can't remember which channel.

For the money they want they will have to go to court to get which will cost a lot of money and they give up when they realise you are not going to roll over and pay.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 07:18 AM   #9
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

I didn't want to say much before but . . . . .

I have just had a notice of appeal decision in my Inbox

Thanks to Lyn, of PrivateParkingAppeals.co.uk, I have successfully appealed against a private parking ticket. £18 well spent (refunded if we had "lost").

I can thoroughly recommend the service - it is a long winded affair to go through, but worth the wait.

In short: we wait in the local football ground car park once a month, when my wife picks me up from the railway station. We've been doing this for a number of years. It is a pay and display car park. We've never paid for the 15 minutes or so waiting.
Recently, Parking Eye took over the administration, and we were hit for an £80 charge for the 20 minutes wait. Complete with photo's etc. I appealed with the help of Private Parking Appeals, firstly to Parking Eye, who rejected it, then this was put to POPLA, the governing body, who upheld our claim. There were a number of points we raised, but they picked up on this:

"Once an Appellant submits that the Operator does not have a contractual
authority to issue and pursue parking charge notices, the onus is on the
Operator to provide any evidence or explanation to show otherwise. The
Operator has not provided any evidence to address the Appellant’s
submission such as a valid contract or a witness statement and they have not
discharged the burden of proof."

Whatever that means!!

So, a happy parker now.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 08:48 AM   #10
BoondogUK