E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > e90 330i alignment issues, possibly control arm?

05-10-2015, 10:06 PM   #1
wp326
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

e90 330i alignment issues, possibly control arm?

Hi guys

e90 330i non-sport, currently close to 60K miles on it. OEM tires were changed due to wear at ~ 40K and noticed alignment problem. (alignment probably had some to do with the tire wear) Had dealer aligned it, had the tire shop aligned it, got 4 new tires, aligned it, still drift to the right when the steering wheel is centered, but i learned to live with it.

For the past few weeks, i noticed exceedingly abnormal wear on the outer edge of the right front tire. the left front also wears more than the center and inside, but not as much. today i noticed and saw steel mesh part on the tire. i went to firestone and bought two new tires. Since i have the life-time alignment, i asked them to align again.

I also ask then check for any issues with the suspension. They said there is "play" on my front tires when the car is on a lift. the guy can move the wheels about, and it is NOT supposed to "play". I also saw it, it is a slight 'play'. another old guy told me the control arm is wearing out and needs to be replaced, in pair.

The manager is adamant that new lower control arms will make the car aligned correctly. Is this true????????
If so, i will do it. This particular firestone quotes ~$775 for parts and 2.2 hr of labor.

Does anybody know a good local shop who can do this at a reasonable price. I think $400 total is fair price since the lower control arm is <$100 each.
Thank you for reading!

Forgot the mention: loud squeaking noises from 0 to 40mph, today after new tire, only occasionally hear it and only up to 20 mph.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 11:02 AM   #2
MrN1ceGuy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E90 330i 6MT ZSP ZPP

Geez. You can replace a lot more than a pair of lower control arms for $775.

Like you said, ~$200 in parts, and a freaking $575 for 2+ hours in labor?
I know reputable shops charges ~$100 an hour, please run away from that garage.
      05-11-2015, 01:12 PM   #3
wp326
Private First Class
Rep

Does "messed up control arm" really affect alignment???? If they can, i will definitely get them fixed. Just found a shop that can do this for $440 total.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 01:13 PM   #4
tc535i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2001 330i, 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp326 View Post
Does "messed up control arm" really affect alignment???? If they can, i will definitely get them fixed. Just found a shop that can do this for $440 total.
of course. if the bushing is shot, you can align all you want, but if it moves around on the road it's not gonna stay within spec
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 01:25 PM   #5
wp326
Private First Class
Rep

the car drifts to the right... very fast. I hold my steering wheel center to make a right turn.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 01:28 PM   #6
ThatRWD
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

My firestone said they can't align BMWs, wouldn't do my 07 335i. I took it to NTB they gave me a 5yr alignment package, I've taken it to them 4 times, they can never get it aligned right and I've tried a few different NTB shops. Took it to a BMW authorized dealer (RRT) done. What a difference in terms of tracking straight and cornering. NTB was giving me the same crap that you need control arms etc etc etc. I said sure do what you can do, they couldn't even get the sides to even out and match.

Take it to a real shop. I used to 100% sit in your boat, but I'm tired of the headache.
      05-11-2015, 01:47 PM   #7
wp326
Private First Class
Rep

i am taking my car to local reputable shop. They will help to check if other components are messed up as well, otherwise $440 total, they also do alignment, maybe I should let them do it ($80)
Still, the question remains: can the freaking control arms mess up alignment? now even after alignment, my car drifts right.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 01:57 PM   #8
2010 M Sport
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 M Sport

Quote:
Hi guys

e90 330i non-sport, currently close to 60K miles on it. OEM tires were changed due to wear at ~ 40K and noticed alignment problem. (alignment probably had some to do with the tire wear) Had dealer aligned it, had the tire shop aligned it, got 4 new tires, aligned it, still drift to the right when the steering wheel is centered, but i learned to live with it.

For the past few weeks, i noticed exceedingly abnormal wear on the outer edge of the right front tire. the left front also wears more than the center and inside, but not as much. today i noticed and saw steel mesh part on the tire. i went to firestone and bought two new tires. Since i have the life-time alignment, i asked them to align again.

I also ask then check for any issues with the suspension. They said there is "play" on my front tires when the car is on a lift. the guy can move the wheels about, and it is NOT supposed to "play". I also saw it, it is a slight 'play'. another old guy told me the control arm is wearing out and needs to be replaced, in pair.

The manager is adamant that new lower control arms will make the car aligned correctly. Is this true????????
If so, i will do it. This particular firestone quotes ~$775 for parts and 2.2 hr of labor.

Does anybody know a good local shop who can do this at a reasonable price. I think $400 total is fair price since the lower control arm is <$100 each.
Thank you for reading!

Forgot the mention: loud squeaking noises from 0 to 40mph, today after new tire, only occasionally hear it and only up to 20 mph.
Wheels having play on a lift sounds like hub/bearing assemblies. Just my $.02
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 02:04 PM   #9
wp326
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 M Sport View Post
Wheels having play on a lift sounds like hub/bearing assemblies. Just my $.02
Where is the hub/bearing assemblies? i am not familiar with these terms. sorry.. Are you saying something wrong with the wheels? or the parts connected to the wheels?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 02:20 PM   #10
2010 M Sport
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Where is the hub/bearing assemblies? i am not familiar with these terms. sorry.. Are you saying something wrong with the wheels? or the parts connected to the wheels?
When you jack your car up, if the wheel has play (grab top/bottom of wheel and shake). Generally indicates hub assembly is shot and needs replacing. This is the assembly the rotor attaches to- just Google it.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 02:23 PM   #11
wp326
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 M Sport View Post
When you jack your car up, if the wheel has play (grab top/bottom of wheel and shake). Generally indicates hub assembly is shot and needs replacing. This is the assembly the rotor attaches to- just Google it.
so the control arms are fine??? When the car was on a lift, the wheels did move or have a play.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 02:28 PM   #12
2010 M Sport
Banned
Rep

Quote:
so the control arms are fine??? When the car was on a lift, the wheels did move or have a play.
I am just giving advice based on past experience. I am not a mechanic, but I would ask my mechanic if it is hub/bearing assemblies? Keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 05:00 PM   #13
wp326
Private First Class
Rep

just came back from BMW fremont dealer, They did an inspection with the car on lift. Tech said LEFT control arm bushing is leaking, color is black. However, the part says "Mounts, Front Thrust Strut". is this the same as "Control Arm bushing"? thanks.
P.S. is it too late to wait till weekend to change it out?

Last edited by wp326; 05-11-2015 at 05:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 05:19 PM   #14
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I'm going to help here a bit. The E90 chassis front suspension uses three locating components to locate the wheel relative to the frame. One component is called the "thrust arm"; it is the component that runs longitudinally from the front cross member to the wheel hub. The second component is the "control arm"; it runs laterally from the engine crossframe to the hub. These two arms mount to the hub using a "ball-joint". The third component is the suspension strut, which is the shock absorber and spring assembly that locates the hub vertically; it does not use a ball joint at the hub, it bolts into the hub. There is a forth component that does use a ball joint at the hub and it is called a "tie rod", which attaches the steering rack (steering wheel) to the hub. The "hub" is the part that retains the wheel bearing for the road wheel to spin on.

Any component with a "ball-joint" is subject to wear and can affect the alignment of the suspension. My advice it have the car worked on at a BMW dealership. I had my car aligned by several different non-BMW shops and they screwed it up every time. A BMW dealership was able to get the car aligned, even with over 270,000 miles on the original control arms and tie rods (most of the other components I’ve replaced). If the wheel physically moves when pulled from the top and bottom, then I would expect the ball-joint on the control arm to be worn out.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 05:22 PM   #15
wp326
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I'm going to help here a bit. The E90 chassis front suspension uses three locating components to locate the wheel relative to the frame. One component is called the "thrust arm"; it is the component that runs longitudinally from the front cross member to the wheel hub. The second component is the "control arm"; it runs laterally from the engine crossframe to the hub. These two arms mount to the hub using a "ball-joint". The third component is the suspension strut, which is the shock absorber and spring assembly that locates the hub vertically; it does not use a ball joint at the hub, it bolts into the hub. There is a forth component that does use a ball joint at the hub and it is called a "tie rod", which attaches the steering rack (steering wheel) to the hub. The "hub" is the part that retains the wheel bearing for the road wheel to spin on.

Any component with a "ball-joint" is subject to wear and can affect the alignment of the suspension. My advice it have the car worked on at a BMW dealership. I had my car aligned by several different non-BMW shops and they screwed it up every time. A BMW dealership was able to get the car aligned, even with over 270,000 miles on the original control arms and tie rods (most of the other components I’ve replaced). If the wheel physically moves when pulled from the top and bottom, then I would expect the ball-joint on the control arm to be worn out.
Thanks for the input. I will have the whole arm, which includes the ball joints and bushing, replaced. Too late to wait till weekend? It seems it has been leaking for a long time, so I guess 5 more days won't hurt, or would it?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 06:36 PM   #16
sunny
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, e90 330i

I also have 330i and also noticed outside corner wearing out faster than middle(right side being worse that left side).
My car has been doing that ever since i can remember.i bought my car when it had 27k miles.
I now have 98k miles and I had to replace the control arm cus it was leaking in right side. Replacing the control arm, the weird looking one, you'll know what I'm talking about when you look up control arm, did not fix the uneven tire wear.
Of course I got alignment after I replaced the left and right control arm.
When they checked the alignment, I was surprised to learn that alignment was in spec. I thought for sure the alignment was not within spec. cus the outside corner was wearing faster and car was pulling a little to the right.
My theory is that the car is aligned with at least 2 or three people in mind from the factory and I'm driving the car not "loaded up" as I drive the car by myself.
Especially when I driving to my mom's place, I'm driving long distance by myself weight on one side of car and not fully "loaded up" as far as weight goes.
When I feel like it, next time I get the car aligned, I'm going to ask for alignment shop to put some negative camber on the front left and right but a little more negative Camber on right side and see when happens after 10k miles. I'm thinking .6 negative Camber on right and .3 negative Camber on left.
The issue is really minor for me as I still can get 25k miles before I need new tire but the outside corner does wear faster though. And the car pulling a little to right was resolved for the most part by replacing control arm. Most road do curve a little to the right as you know and I think it's just gets magnified with low profile tires.
I used to run higher air pressure cus I like to feel every bump but now I just use 33psi up front and 35 on back. You should have a good bmw shop take care of what's making the wheel move though.
Happy hunting.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 06:41 PM   #17
wp326
Private First Class
Rep

So replace the control arm did somewhat fix the pull to the right, but did not fix the uneven tire wear? I don't really care about the pull as long as the tire wear is even. tires cost $$$.
But yours was the right control arm bushing leaking, mine is the left side leaking, right side is also worn out but no leak yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 07:10 PM   #18
Douche
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp326
So replace the control arm did somewhat fix the pull to the right, but did not fix the uneven tire wear? I don't really care about the pull as long as the tire wear is even. tires cost $$$.
But yours was the right control arm bushing leaking, mine is the left side leaking, right side is also worn out but no leak yet.
What do you mean by "control arm bushing leak"?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 07:29 PM   #19
wp326
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douche View Post
What do you mean by "control arm bushing leak"?
The bushing is filled with liquid. I googled it.. and other members on this board have posted pictures of the leak as well. It is not just rubber parts.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 07:35 PM   #20
Douche
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
The bushing is filled with liquid. I googled it.. and other members on this board have posted pictures of the leak as well. It is not just rubber parts.
Gotcha. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 08:06 PM   #21
3s4u2
Beamer Mantic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Prem

In the DFW area I have found two NTB's that have the attached Hunter alignment machine specifically for BMW and other multiple link load required alignment systems. Call around the NTB's in your area and you might get lucky especially if you paid for a 5 year alignment, just make sure they have someone that knows how to use it!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf KDS II Hunter Wheel Alighment System.pdf (507.1 KB, 215 views)
2014 X5 50i M-Pkg
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 08:07 PM   #22
wp326
Private First Class
Rep

Does anybody else have any input? Does control arm replacement really fix the alignment issue? will my tires be wearing out evenly?
Appreciate 0