EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

05-10-2015, 10:48 AM   #1
Unixed
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 - M3

Blown eardrums after amp upgrade

After many days of searching this forum, I decided to post my predicament.

My F80 came with HiFi. I did not special order my vehicle.
And yes, it has a carbon fiber roof.

I just purchased a PP82DSP with the BMW harness from Technic. Installed this device and the ASD was deafening! I have coded it off with the HU_NBT --> ASD_SOUND_OFF and then re-flashing the ASD actually allowed the HU_NBT change to take effect. Weird, but working.

Ok, now with ASD off, my PDC and Gong is SUPER LOUD even though the PDC and GONG settings have been minimized within iDrive.

My question, is there a way to reduce this sound without decreasing my AMP gains? The AMP/DSP was pre-tuned from Technic, so I do not want to forgo all of that expertise. Also, when I attempted to decrease the gains to an acceptable ASD/PDC/GONG audio levels, the speakers went muddy again.

I have attempted to modify HU_NBT --> AUDIO_SYSTEM and HU_NBT --> AMPLIFIER_VARIANT thinking maybe they have a reduced default PDC/GONG volume since the head unit would be aware of the after market amp. No success. However, with a HU_NBT --> AMPLIFIER_VARIANT --> internal setting, the under the seat subs came alive especially at lower audio levels.

After many failed attempts, I was hoping someone will know a solution to this dilemma. This might also help reduce the ASD levels too, which would be nice to have the option to turn it back on later.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 10:38 AM   #2
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

I have a musicarnw system installed in my car (which comes w/ a Technic harness plus Helix DSP and amps) and experienced the very loud ASD as well. However, I don't really notice the gongs or PDC being much louder than stock. They do come through crystal clear though.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 06:15 PM   #3
Unixed
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo
I have a musicarnw system installed in my car (which comes w/ a Technic harness plus Helix DSP and amps) and experienced the very loud ASD as well. However, I don't really notice the gongs or PDC being much louder than stock. They do come through crystal clear though.
Do you by chance have HK or HiFi?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 09:48 AM   #4
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unixed View Post
I have HiFi.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 09:51 AM   #5
Unixed
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unixed View Post
I have HiFi.
I re-configured my DSP last night. I was able to get the sound down, but at a HUGE fidelity cost.

I have chose to compromise and reduce the center speaker output to have the PDC and GONG sound to not be in your face loud.

I think I need new speakers to make this issue go away. Coding I don't believe is possible.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 01:35 AM   #6
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I'm running no center channel. Imaging is much better than with center channel IMO.

I had most of the regular door gongs and chimes coded out and only recently heard it when I popped the front hood. It wasn't loud at all. Sounded normal.

With respect to ASD delete w/o coding, you have the HK system so you can just disconnect the ASD physically without impacting the audio system at all. Or, you can buy a BMS can flap module which primarily gives you control over the exhaust valves, but also has settings that enables or turns off ASD.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 02:46 AM   #7
Unixed
Enlisted Member
Rep

I actually have HiFi, not HK. Unplugging the ASD unit disables the entire audio circuit.

I just have the Helix PP82DSP with no additional amps. I do believe my issue is that this unit is not powerful enough to push the speakers with clear fidelity, hence the high gains settings.

Maybe you could send me so I could try/review your DSP configuration?

Do you have stock speakers or have they been replaced?

I appreciate your insights.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 09:09 AM   #8
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I have a full system with arc audio amps, morel speakers up front, jehnert under seat woofers and a JL sub. My installer tuned my system so I don't have the DSP file handy. It probably wouldn't help since our systems are so different. Sorry.
Appreciate 0