E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Is it normal when getting new tires

05-07-2015, 08:49 PM   #1
bloppitybloop
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Is it normal when getting new tires

Is it normal for the tire mounting lube to be all over your wheels/tires when you get new tires mounted?

I got new tires put on at Tires Plus and this shit was all over my tires and wheels. Also adding to my frustration was the grease all over my seat, armrest. When I arrived to pick up my car, it was sitting in front of the store in the fire zone with the windows down and doors unlocked just asking for someone to steal something out of it.

So before I call to talk to a manager tomorrow, I want to make sure that the lube being on the car is not common practice. I'm pretty sure it's not.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 09:27 PM   #2
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT

Discount Tire did the same things to my 19's (they didn't have my car, as I brought the wheels/tires in my truck).
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 09:32 PM   #3
phubar
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckedhim View Post
Is it normal for the tire mounting lube to be all over your wheels/tires when you get new tires mounted?

I got new tires put on at Tires Plus and this shit was all over my tires and wheels. Also adding to my frustration was the grease all over my seat, armrest. When I arrived to pick up my car, it was sitting in front of the store in the fire zone with the windows down and doors unlocked just asking for someone to steal something out of it.

So before I call to talk to a manager tomorrow, I want to make sure that the lube being on the car is not common practice. I'm pretty sure it's not.
if they gave two sh*ts, no it wouldn't be normal. Good luck tho, in my experience terrible customer service like that trickles down from the top so if the employees don't give a crap, most likely the manager wont either.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 09:37 PM   #4
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

The messy tire/wheel isn't a big deal. As long as it's not scratched or damaged, it's fine. They're mounting a tire, I would expect it to get dirty or at least have hand prints all over it. You can't expect them to detail your wheels for you. Maybe a quick wipe down of anything dripping, but even that is too much to ask when going to a big chain store like that.

As for leaving it outside with the windows down and doors unlocked, there's no excuse for that.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 09:47 PM   #5
bloppitybloop
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
The messy tire/wheel isn't a big deal. As long as it's not scratched or damaged, it's fine. They're mounting a tire, I would expect it to get dirty or at least have hand prints all over it. You can't expect them to detail your wheels for you. Maybe a quick wipe down of anything dripping, but even that is too much to ask when going to a big chain store like that.

As for leaving it outside with the windows down and doors unlocked, there's no excuse for that.
Yea, I realize that they're not going to detail the wheels and tires but I just figured they'd wipe the shit off them that they left on. I was even that concerned about that, I was more upset about the interior.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 09:58 PM   #6
patsbimmer1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 SSii M3

That lube is perfectly normal. They should have cleaned it but be happy they used enough lube, this means your beads probably seated correctly and they didn't tear the beads.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 10:09 PM   #7
phubar
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 Vert

Quote:
Yea, I realize that they're not going to detail the wheels and tires but I just figured they'd wipe the shit off them that they left on. I was even that concerned about that, I was more upset about the interior.
Despise what others say, I have had PLENTY of tires mounted and never had that issue, they always wipe my wheels down, some do a better job than others (they get rewarded with a generous tip) and there is absolutely no excuse for the interior. I wouldnt waste any energy or time trying to talk to the manager, just be glad they didnt mess anything else up or permanently and never go back to that place. Giving them a bad review online would probably have a bigger effect than talking to the manager.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 10:14 PM   #8
bloppitybloop
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsbimmer1 View Post
That lube is perfectly normal. They should have cleaned it but be happy they used enough lube, this means your beads probably seated correctly and they didn't tear the beads.
That's good to know
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 10:15 PM   #9
bloppitybloop
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phubar View Post
Despise what others say, I have had PLENTY of tires mounted and never had that issue, they always wipe my wheels down, some do a better job than others (they get rewarded with a generous tip) and there is absolutely no excuse for the interior. I wouldnt waste any energy or time trying to talk to the manager, just be glad they didnt mess anything else up or permanently and never go back to that place. Giving them a bad review online would probably have a bigger effect than talking to the manager.
I plan on giving a bad review. But if bringing this to the attention of the manager can prevent others from having the same experience in the future, I don't mind calling.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 08:09 AM   #10
lichtgelb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335i

Tires Plus sucks. Leave negative feedback on their website and they will get back to you. I needed an alignment on a vehicle and they tried to tell me I needed a new tire due to a tire pull. I had recently bought a new set of wheels/tires and the alignment problem was exactly the same with the old set so I knew this was BS. I didn't get the alignment fixed with the old set of tires/wheels because I knew I was changing them. I told them this and told them to finish the alignment. After the alignment was finished the vehicle drove perfect with the same tires they said were bad. I complained and they refunded me the cost of the alignment but they still suck. I won't do business with them again. I don't know why but it's hard to find an honest tire shop.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 08:59 AM   #11
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi

Id be happy with grease. Half the tire places I have been to can't tell the wheels in the back a 1/2 inch larger. So they never put them on right. I run square setup so they never think about it. The larger wheels still need to go on the back
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 09:24 AM   #12
CantCatchMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i xdrive msport(E92)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender rodriguez View Post
Id be happy with grease. Half the tire places I have been to can't tell the wheels in the back a 1/2 inch larger. So they never put them on right. I run square setup so they never think about it. The larger wheels still need to go on the back
That's what I go by. Had discount tire do that every time and they know who I am by now. So every time I go there, they take care of my wheels and car.

Now if they splattered that grease all over your wheels I would tell them you'll do the survey they give out through email and tell them they did a poorly job.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 09:49 AM   #13
bloppitybloop
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantCatchMe View Post
That's what I go by. Had discount tire do that every time and they know who I am by now. So every time I go there, they take care of my wheels and car.

Now if they splattered that grease all over your wheels I would tell them you'll do the survey they give out through email and tell them they did a poorly job.
I just left a 1 star review on their website.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 09:54 AM   #14
lichtgelb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335i

Quote:
I just left a 1 star review on their website.
That's what I did and they called me.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 10:01 AM   #15
Greyfox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91 - 330k+ (miles)

Grease? You never use grease to mount tires.

You use something like Tire-Slick or other non-petroleum lube that will evaporate and leave no residue.

Grease will eventually cause the rubber to break down.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 11:44 AM   #16
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

As a metric of service level, I went to Globe tire in South Bay LA to have a hole patched. The guy called me up right before putting the car on the lift to mention that unmounting and remounting the tire would probably peel up my plastidip, which I didn't much care about since it's long overdue for a respray anyway. I got the wheel back fresh as a daisy with no scuffing at all, the wheel bolts weren't overtightened to the point of pain, and the plug has held up for maybe 20k miles so far.

I'm quite happy with them.
      05-08-2015, 01:54 PM   #17
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Which is why I only ever have tires installed at my local performance shop where they respect my wheels and their lips lol.. I've gone to Tires Plus, Walmart, etc and it never fails..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 03:18 AM   #18
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

I had crappy tire leave the gunk all over the place and I also thought it would be a good courtesy to clean the crap up they had other plans
I was still happy with my new tires so IDNGAF!!
Appreciate 0