E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Vinyl wrap best solution to paint that is going to shit?

05-05-2015, 05:05 PM   #1
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi

Vinyl wrap best solution to paint that is going to shit?

The person who had my car before me was in an accident and 2 panels were repainted. Years later its become noticeable not to mention it baking out in the sun for years. Oh, and someone put a nasty dent in my car that will yet again need another panel to be repainted. Which will cost between 500-800 dollars..

I figure best solution is have the dent fixed but not painted and wrap over the entire car. I was looking at just repainting the car same color but all these ass hats want 10k
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 05:16 PM   #2
DiabloCO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lola, 08 335xi crimson red

If they charge 10k for a full job it is probally going to look like a 10k job. Most good body shops ive worked for will charge 8k +- for a full spray. there is alot of work to a full paint job. Plus good materials are not cheap. Typically its 200+ just for a gallon of clear. also factor inshop overhead cost of the booth sanding materials primer labor in fixing minor sceatches and dents.

A vinyl wrap will still run 2-3k fyi
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 06:05 PM   #3
CantCatchMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i xdrive msport(E92)

Get your paint fixed. Check into a paint correction, it might help. But honestly with vinyl wrap you'll waste money if little rocks or debris hit your car. That's just my .02 cents.

If worst comes to worst, repaint the car. Shoot, might even do a different color while you're at it.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 06:16 PM   #4
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolaCo View Post
If they charge 10k for a full job it is probally going to look like a 10k job. Most good body shops ive worked for will charge 8k +- for a full spray. there is alot of work to a full paint job. Plus good materials are not cheap. Typically its 200+ just for a gallon of clear. also factor inshop overhead cost of the booth sanding materials primer labor in fixing minor sceatches and dents.

A vinyl wrap will still run 2-3k fyi
Funny back in the late 90s you could get a paint job for 1-3k. I used to hang around all the classic cars back when you could pick up a Chevy Nova for 2k. I assure you most of those cars had paint jobs under 2k and they looked amazing.

Even today I highly doubt people many people are putting 10k paint jobs on 5k classic Camaros and corvettes. I really think all of these BMW places take advantage of the community. You don't see this shit on the classic car forums.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 06:20 PM   #5
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantCatchMe View Post
Get your paint fixed. Check into a paint correction, it might help. But honestly with vinyl wrap you'll waste money if little rocks or debris hit your car. That's just my .02 cents.

If worst comes to worst, repaint the car. Shoot, might even do a different color while you're at it.
Yeah I really don't know much about vinyl but durability does concern me. I would repaint the car another color but that would drive up the price because they would have to repaint the door jams what not. I am not looking for them to dismantle the car. Just a sand and spray which should be fine if I stay with stock color.

I think this is where all these 10k paint jobs come from. Is from people who dismantle the car and bake the paint on. I will prob go over to classic car forums and look for someone to spray my car.
Appreciate 0