Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

05-02-2015, 10:01 AM   #1
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: '18 GT3, Ex F80x2

Hey all, just a couple of observations as I have tried both, wondering if anyone else has tried both and their thoughts:

1. Programming: HU_NBT "ASD_SOUND_OFF" to aktiv (default nicht_activ) and the active sound is quieter but still present in my car to some extent.

2. Unplugged ASD Module in the trunk and for sure there is no active sound at all. Car is very quiet even in sport plus but can reasonably hear exhaust and feel revs

Today I plugged my ASD Module back in, and have ASD programmed off in HU_NBT and there is DEFINITELY some active sound happening now....even though it is "programmed off." It's still quieter than when ASD_SOUND_OFF is set to nicht_aktiv though.

It seems that some processing is still happening and some fake sounds getting passed to the HK amp with it programmed off.

Is there another module I need to code or FDL I'm missing to completely turn off ASD without leaving the module unplugged?

Appreciate 1
Xtabi1696.00
      05-02-2015, 10:30 AM   #2
JDougM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I'm very new to coding so please excuse my obvious reply but did you try ASD Module : 3000 Model Range set to F020/F021? That appears to have completely disabled active sound for me without unplugging the unit.

That combination plus unplugging the valves has made a world of difference for my ears.
Appreciate 3
      05-03-2015, 07:48 AM   #3
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDougM4 View Post
I'm very new to coding so please excuse my obvious reply but did you try ASD Module : 3000 Model Range set to F020/F021? That appears to have completely disabled active sound for me without unplugging the unit.

That combination plus unplugging the valves has made a world of difference for my ears.
Thanks JDoug! Worked perfectly . Wasn't an obvious reply, I've just learned all my coding by reading the F30 forums, and never came across changing the model number in the ASD before (other than to make it sound like a Mini...already sounds like a John Deere in the morning ). That code I listed above in HU_NBT is the only one I've seen. So coded ASD to F020/F021 this morning and it is now the same as unplugging the ASD module completely.

So here's a summary of what I've tried on active sound:
1. Unplug ASD module in the trunk = Turns off ASD completely
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1082175

2. Leave ASD module plugged in and code HU_NBT "ASD_SOUND_OFF" to aktiv (default nicht_activ) - Quiets down the ASD but it does not completely go away - seems to be the advertised 3-5% of cabin sound BMW claims (not 25-40% which is what my ears hear in sport+ with ASD on), definitely quieter than stock but definitely still present rounding out the sound.

3. Leave ASD module plugged in and code ASD Module : 3000 "Model Range" and set to F020/F021 = ASD completely off, without having to pull the trunk apart and unplug the module directly.

The take home then is if you don't like how intrusive the ASD sound can be in the cabin, but don't want to turn it off completely, then do #2 above and it will quiet it down quite a bit.

After 1200 miles, I really like it off.

Last edited by Mr. Hankey; 05-03-2015 at 07:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 11:10 AM   #4
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Might be obvious, but the ASD in the trunk module needs to plugged in to be able to code the ASD module.

I had previously pulled the plug on ASD before I had my coding gear. When I tried to access the ASD module today to change "Model Range" to F020/F021, I got an error message.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 11:14 AM   #5
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhk118 View Post
Thanks JDoug! Worked perfectly . Wasn't an obvious reply, I've just learned all my coding by reading the F30 forums, and never came across changing the model number in the ASD before (other than to make it sound like a Mini...already sounds like a John Deere in the morning ). That code I listed above in HU_NBT is the only one I've seen. So coded ASD to F020/F021 this morning and it is now the same as unplugging the ASD module completely.

So here's a summary of what I've tried on active sound:
1. Unplug ASD module in the trunk = Turns off ASD completely
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1082175

2. Leave ASD module plugged in and code HU_NBT "ASD_SOUND_OFF" to aktiv (default nicht_activ) - Quiets down the ASD but it does not completely go away - seems to be the advertised 3-5% of cabin sound BMW claims (not 25-40% which is what my ears hear in sport+ with ASD on), definitely quieter than stock but definitely still present rounding out the sound.

3. Leave ASD module plugged in and code ASD Module : 3000 "Model Range" and set to F020/F021 = ASD completely off, without having to pull the trunk apart and unplug the module directly.

The take home then is if you don't like how intrusive the ASD sound can be in the cabin, but don't want to turn it off completely, then do #2 above and it will quiet it down quite a bit.

After 1200 miles, I really like it off.
Yep this is exactly what Shawn Sheridan did for me this morning (the F21 on to fool the car into indirectly turning ASD off) - have a separate thread on the 'Fest sit. Have mixed impressions so far - overall trending towards keeping it off.
      05-03-2015, 01:56 PM   #6
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Might be obvious, but the ASD in the trunk module needs to plugged in to be able to code the ASD module.

I had previously pulled the plug on ASD before I had my coding gear. When I tried to access the ASD module today to change "Model Range" to F020/F021, I got an error message.
I had it unplugged for a week. Spectacular...quiet but loud when you give'er...I plugged it back in as previously had the head unit (HU_NBT) programmed for "Active sound design" off, but in the head unit it isn't entirely off, just a bit less...so programming in the ASD unit itself and I can say for sure that when you change model in the ASD it is off, just as if it were unplugged.

I'd like to put a switch on the power going to the ASD module so I don't have to code it on and off if I ever want to switch it back on again, but I imagine it will still send some noise to the amp, or create an error in the system.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 02:00 PM   #7
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaranob View Post
Yep this is exactly what Shawn Sheridan did for me this morning (the F21 on to fool the car into indirectly turning ASD off) - have a separate thread on the 'Fest sit. Have mixed impressions so far - overall trending towards keeping it off.
Drive with it off for at least a week. Then when you turn it back on you'll be wondering why exhaust sound is coming from up front...I'm in Sport+ all the time, even at low revs I'm not having problems rev matching which was my concern, and I think perhaps why BMW put it in there because the car can be very quiet and I guess that can make it difficult to rev match - so they had a choice to get lit up in the press over "McEngine noise" or lack of much noise/feedback at all...either way the car isn't any slower...I can see how people have complained that the fake sound throws their shift points off...
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 06:23 PM   #8
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhk118 View Post
Drive with it off for at least a week. Then when you turn it back on you'll be wondering why exhaust sound is coming from up front...I'm in Sport+ all the time, even at low revs I'm not having problems rev matching which was my concern, and I think perhaps why BMW put it in there because the car can be very quiet and I guess that can make it difficult to rev match - so they had a choice to get lit up in the press over "McEngine noise" or lack of much noise/feedback at all...either way the car isn't any slower...I can see how people have complained that the fake sound throws their shift points off...
Fair enough - have to say that I am rarely in Sport+ so perhaps a little less obvious in respect direct audio feedback but nonetheless entirely agree with your points. Will most likely leave it be as I suspect I will indeed prefer it off.
      05-10-2015, 04:05 PM   #9
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I tried coding ASD off today (just setting "ASD_SOUND_OFF" to "aktiv" in HU_NBT, without changing the settings in the ASD module) and I coded it right back (well, actually I did go back and forth twice to confirm).

I know I seem to represent the minority opinion, but to me the sound without ASD is too muted and somewhat shallow: I find it quite unsatisfactory and providing insufficient aural feedback. At least with the stock exhaust and without the valve mod.

I never found the car too loud (but I have driven M cars since 2002): the main motivation for me to try to turn ASD off was that occasionally it seems to overpower the amp or the speakers, creating distortion, which then makes the artificial sound enhancement quite obvious. However, given the choice between occasional distortion and ASD off, I personally find the occasional distortion the lesser evil.

I will try coding ASD off again if I decide to upgrade the exhaust system.
      05-10-2015, 04:32 PM   #10
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02 View Post
I tried coding ASD off today (just setting "ASD_SOUND_OFF" to "aktiv" in HU_NBT, without changing the settings in the ASD module) and I coded it right back (well, actually I did go back and forth twice to confirm).

I know I seem to represent the minority opinion, but to me the sound without ASD is too muted and somewhat shallow: I find it quite unsatisfactory and providing insufficient aural feedback. At least with the stock exhaust and without the valve mod.

I never found the car too loud (but I have driven M cars since 2002): the main motivation for me to try to turn ASD off was that occasionally it seems to overpower the amp or the speakers, creating distortion, which then makes the artificial sound enhancement quite obvious. However, given the choice between occasional distortion and ASD off, I personally find the occasional distortion the lesser evil.

I'll be getting my Eisenman exhaust (rear only) installed soon and interested to see if there is any noticeable difference between it and stock with ASD off - long and painful story with IND and still pending (tip mod that has now taken a half year to complete!),
      05-10-2015, 04:50 PM   #11
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaranob View Post
I'll be getting my Eisenman exhaust (rear only) installed soon and interested to see if there is any noticeable difference between it and stock with ASD off - long and painful story with IND and still pending (tip mod that has now taken a half year to complete!),
Looking forward to your impressions.

ASD off is probably the way to go with an exhaust upgrade, since the sound enhancement is presumably tuned so as to complement the stock exhaust.
      05-12-2015, 09:36 AM   #12
DFozzy
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 (MG/SS)

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 Acura MDX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDougM4 View Post

Thanks for this! I had done the other change to turn ASD off, which made a difference, but this really does make a difference! It really is surprising how quiet the car actually is with ASD "fully" off.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 09:38 AM   #13
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02 View Post

+1 My main reason for disabling it off was also the interference w my music listening. But I only came to realize that I had it partially removed using HU_Nbt and it was still providing some feedback until I stumbled on this thread.
Now w it completly disabled, I also miss the downshifts rev match and the car is really quiet unless I push it above 3k rpm in S/S+ mode. I will continue driving for few weeks and then decide.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 04:12 PM   #14
promotechme
Rep
Drives: M4 F82 Austin Yellow

Garage List
2015 BMW M4 F82  [0.00]
Hi guys, could someone please provide some instructions on how to code the ASD off completely as I am new to coding and only just finished installing ESYS etc

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 08:09 PM   #15
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by promotechme View Post
Hi guys, could someone please provide some instructions on how to code the ASD off completely as I am new to coding and only just finished installing ESYS etc

Thanks in advance
You should have received a guide in the pm from Shawn and here's a useful thread: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1125375
And to completly disable ASD, see post #3 above. Good luck.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2015, 02:39 PM   #16
Tom (Atl)
BMW Fan
US Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: wego

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
+1 My main reason for disabling it off was also the interference w my music listening. But I only came to realize that I had it partially removed using HU_Nbt and it was still providing some feedback until I stumbled on this thread.
Now w it completly disabled, I also miss the downshifts rev match and the car is really quiet unless I push it above 3k rpm in S/S+ mode. I will continue driving for few weeks and then decide.
Can you explain more about the difference with the downshift rev math? Do you lose rev matching when you software disable ASD?!? I hadn't heard that anywhere before.

Also, is the downshift sound the same (quiet) regardless of mode, or is there a way to turn up the sound and get something more when downshifting?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 02:51 PM   #17
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom (Atl) View Post
Can you explain more about the difference with the downshift rev math? Do you lose rev matching when you software disable ASD?!? I hadn't heard that anywhere before.

Also, is the downshift sound the same (quiet) regardless of mode, or is there a way to turn up the sound and get something more when downshifting?
Hi, i was referring to the sound and not the function ! the rev match feature is independent of ASD... rather as I recently discovered, on the DCT, it seems to depend on the Drivelogic mode: read this thread.

And as most of my driving in traffic was in D1 and downshifts occurred with no throttle, so regardless of ASD, there is no rev match and you wont hear the blip. Read CanAutM3 responses in that thread. Switching to D2/S2, and with ASD disabled, you can still hear the rev-match blip !
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 02:30 PM   #18
su_root
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Ive driven around with ASD off for a few weeks now and want to try coding it back ON to compare.

To disable I coded ASD Module: 3000 Model Range = F020/F021

what should I code back to? I didnt make note of the factory value.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 02:45 PM   #19
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_root View Post
Ive driven around with ASD off for a few weeks now and want to try coding it back ON to compare.

To disable I coded ASD Module: 3000 Model Range = F020/F021

what should I code back to? I didnt make note of the factory value.
F080 or F082 or F083 (depending on your car).

The quickest way to revert to the default settings is to right-click on ASD and select "Code".
      01-26-2016, 02:55 PM   #20
su_root
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

thanks for the tip!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 01:18 AM   #21
KL07RPH
First Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i

Garage List
Weird, I did #3 (Coded ASD 3000 'Model Range' to F20/21) and almost immediately I noticed my front interior light LED pulse/flash every few minutes. Anyone else have the same observation?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 06:39 AM   #22
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL07RPH
Weird, I did #3 (Coded ASD 3000 'Model Range' to F20/21) and almost immediately I noticed my front interior light LED pulse/flash every few minutes. Anyone else have the same observation?
I don't think that's caused by coding ASD, I never had that and I coded back and forth ASD like dozen times, check your battery or alternatively check for any faults. Which interior light, the ambient lighting ?
Appreciate 0