E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Need some N53 buying advice

04-30-2015, 09:17 AM   #1
vnb
Rep
Drives: e90 320d

Need some N53 buying advice

Hy guys . I've lost a couple of nights reading all I could get my hands on regarding the N52/N53 engine . Currently I am on the market for a good 325i e92 . Recently I've come upon a 2011(pd 11/2010) 325i with the N53 unit , 70k miles and full BM history . Problem is : I spoke today to the mechanic that last did the service on this car , and he's told me it is in great shape BUT it has a misfire on one cylinder and a rough idle , that they couldn't diagnose . The car literally never threw the same error code twice ( it threw everything from hpfp to spark plug ) They replaced the NOX sensor as it was overdue , but the problem didn't go away .
I've also spoken to the owner and he says , that indeed he noticed a rough idle from time to time , but that it doesn't do it constantly . Also he says that as far as he knows it has the original coils, injectors an hpfp .
Next I got BM on the phone and they said that for this particular car there are no outstanding recals .
Question is : Is this N53 worth the hassle or should I look for an older N52 powered car ? Is the N53 so prone to failure and expensive bills ?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 09:27 AM   #2
Douche
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnb View Post
Hy guys . I've lost a couple of nights reading all I could get my hands on regarding the N52/N53 engine . Currently I am on the market for a good 325i e92 . Recently I've come upon a 2011(pd 11/2010) 325i with the N53 unit , 70k miles and full BM history . Problem is : I spoke today to the mechanic that last did the service on this car , and he's told me it is in great shape BUT it has a misfire on one cylinder and a rough idle , that they couldn't diagnose . The car literally never threw the same error code twice ( it threw everything from hpfp to spark plug ) They replaced the NOX sensor as it was overdue , but the problem didn't go away .
I've also spoken to the owner and he says , that indeed he noticed a rough idle from time to time , but that it doesn't do it constantly . Also he says that as far as he knows it has the original coils, injectors an hpfp .
Next I got BM on the phone and they said that for this particular car there are no outstanding recals .
Question is : Is this N53 worth the hassle or should I look for an older N52 powered car ? Is the N53 so prone to failure and expensive bills ?
I'd bet in the N52 if you're looking for the simplest construction.
The misfires could be caused by the direct injection injectors, and they are considerably more expensive to replace and work with than the indirect ones on the N52.
It could also be caused by carbon build up on the intake ports/valves. I'd start there, and test/replace the injectors out of the car.

If you're not up to it, just get a N52 and call it a day.
Appreciate 0