THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum Regional Forums CANADA tuning 228i local shop

04-27-2015, 03:15 PM   #1
dalrx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 530i

tuning 228i local shop

So a local shop that has long term tuning of high end exotics like porsches ferraris lambos etc ...now inform me they are doing bmw. There are many plug and play piggy back setups on market in the 400 to 800 range I see. Or you can go to budds Oakville and get dinan tune $2200 CAD with warranty coverage. Local outfit with all high end dynos will spend 3 or 4 hrs and go into ecu and do a remap with gains they say 290hp 320ftlbs. No dyno chart yet to see. They charge 1260 +TX so 1430. That seems quite pricey to me considering plug n play units but cheaper than dinan but no warranty. What are people's thoughts?

http://www.rspmotorsports.com/bmw-2-...28i-2015-.html
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 09:34 AM   #2
Blackcross
Canada
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue 2014 335i xdrive

Garage List
Working with a tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalrx View Post
So a local shop that has long term tuning of high end exotics like porsches ferraris lambos etc ...now inform me they are doing bmw. There are many plug and play piggy back setups on market in the 400 to 800 range I see. Or you can go to budds Oakville and get dinan tune $2200 CAD with warranty coverage. Local outfit with all high end dynos will spend 3 or 4 hrs and go into ecu and do a remap with gains they say 290hp 320ftlbs. No dyno chart yet to see. They charge 1260 +TX so 1430. That seems quite pricey to me considering plug n play units but cheaper than dinan but no warranty. What are people's thoughts?
They should have absolutely no problem showing you a dyno chart.

If you are going to be the first (i.e. you volunteer your car for them to experiment on), that is something else completely and you need to have a very good understanding of just what they will be doing with your car: on the dyno mapping, running it ALOT, what will the end-game be for you, what happens if something goes wrong etc. So lots of trust on your end.

The major differences of the options you list above is: after sales support. With Dinan you get a little for a lot of $. But it is backed by the dealer and a warranty. With the piggyback stuff, you get a system that fools the ecu so it isn't as complete a solution as the ecu remapping. But it also won't be completely erased by an ecu reflash at the dealer (which they can do as part of warranty work whether you ask for it or not - and they might not even tell you). That is the major risk with an ecu remapping: the dealer knowingly or unknowingly ref lashing over it. Well, that and detecting it and voiding your warranty. In Canada, warranties are void IF the mod has contributed to the problem. But is it worth fighting the dealer over it?

So if these guys are remapping ecu fuel maps (and not just pedal position maps - which is what the sport button does), how will they support you if/when the dealer reflashes your ecu? Will they remap your ecu? Will they be able to 're flash' the ecu with your old original map before a trip to the dealer, and then reflash it again with the tuned map after a dealer visit? And how much will that be?

Lastly, what are they remapping: fuel/air maps, what will the minimum octane requirement become, throttle maps, top speed limiter, boost maps and pressures...also what alarms will the car detect and keep track of for later dealer inspection that would hint at chipping: top speed, boost pressure...?

As for getting to know these guys, they will probably be okay with giving you some contact info for other clients.

Anyway, good luck and let us know how it is going.

Last edited by Blackcross; 05-09-2015 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: fixing auto spell check
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 12:33 PM   #3
dalrx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 530i

Thanks for above. I was initially going to go had appointment but then backed out. See as you mention warranty affect being major issue and this car is leased. So as a lease I do not own it...BMW does and if forbid anything bad happens with this ecu tune then I am at fault. The ecu tune guys have done quite a bit of work with many setups and their equipment and expertise are second to none. But...I can't risk if soemthing were to happen the liability . Also as you say there are many questions ....they said would redo any flash or set back to originally but at 110 + TX. ... So at end of day I say to myself...extra pickup and go would be cool to have but this car in mainly city driving has quite a bit already...better not to mess with the setup. If I want more power well...wait till lease is up and go m235 or M2. ..or get dinan tune with a warranty. For now I am leaving as is.
Appreciate 0