EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

04-27-2015, 08:46 AM   #1
MrMoo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50i

The OCD it is out of control!

Ok well i parked my car under a tree tonight and when i got home there was about 6-7 dropping on the bonnet and roof.

I actually have no cleaning products at home so i just got some water + a sponge + a paper towel and rinsed and wiped it off the best I could.

An important thing to note before I continue. It will be raining in 48 hours time for 4 days in a row.

So now I have to decide should I give the car a full wash (My wash products are at my parents place so i can do it tomorrow night after work) or just give the bonnet and roof a quick wipe down. Something like Meguiars quick exterior detail + Microfiber cloth perhaps?

It just seems so pointless washing the car only for it to be rained on 24 hours later lol....
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 09:11 AM   #2
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

LOL, I face the same dilemma at times. Bird droppings contain acid and grits (seed of whatever fruit and crap they ate). Never "wipe" bird droppings off, even with a sponge or wet cloth. The grits acts like sand paper and will scratch your paint. It's always a good idea to wash the car with with pre-wash and pressure soapy wash at the car wash. This will safely remove the grits and acidic content of the bird droppings.
      04-27-2015, 09:15 AM   #3
MrMoo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
LOL, I face the same dilemma at times. Bird droppings contain acid and grits (seed of whatever fruit and crap they ate). Never "wipe" bird droppings off, even with a sponge or wet cloth. The grits acts like sand paper and will scratch your paint. It's always a good idea to wash the car with with pre-wash and pressure soapy wash at the car wash. This will safely remove the grits and acidic content of the bird droppings.
Lol I actually read that after i had wiped it off but at the same time I read that if you don't wipe it off it leaves marks and could damage the paint so i was left sitting here at 11pm thinking to myself WTF lose lose situation =(
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 09:37 AM   #4
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoo View Post
Lol I actually read that after i had wiped it off but at the same time I read that if you don't wipe it off it leaves marks and could damage the paint so i was left sitting here at 11pm thinking to myself WTF lose lose situation =(
Within 24hrs is fine. I parked my company car at the airport for a week, came back with bird crap all over it. They were stubborn, but did washed off with no marks left behind.

This is why I wax my car once a year.
      04-27-2015, 10:17 AM   #5
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Waterless/Rinseless wash products are your best friends for bird droppings and quick clean ups. They're basically quick detailers on steroids. A good over the counter product is Meguiars Wash and Wax Anywhere but it's expensive per oz. Optimum Opti Clean and Ultima Waterless Wash+ are good options too. Carry a bird bomb kit in your trunk or glove box at all times - small spray bottle of quick detailer and a few MF towels.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #6
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

anything is better than simply "wiping" it off. You need some sort of lubricant so as not to scratch the paint. Even some dawn dish soap work...it'll strip any wax you have on the car but at least you wouldn't be left with horrible marring from the bird droppings.
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 10:25 AM   #7
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

And paper towel? eeek... i can't think of a more abrasive thing to use. Next time use an old cotton t-shirt even.
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 02:15 PM   #8
Wo-Wo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Coupe

Be careful just wiping off bird lime as it has seed shells and sometime grit in it! I'd be amazed if you haven't caused some minor marring?

Next time just soak it in water and then clean off properly.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 10:21 AM   #9
AYTifosi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW F82 M4  [10.00]
Yeah.. paper towel..

Griots used to put out a container of Speed Shine wipes - I carry a couple in a zip-lock for emergencies. I don't see it on their site anymore..

Like Pheerix said, a wash and wax product and a few inexpensive (throw away) micro fiber clothes in your boot is important. Never use bath towels! The polyester will scratch your paint.
      04-28-2015, 10:50 AM   #10
JonnyM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Moderately Quick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
Within 24hrs is fine. I parked my company car at the airport for a week, came back with bird crap all over it. They were stubborn, but did washed off with no marks left behind.

This is why I wax my car once a year.

Even the "best" waxes will only protect the car for a few weeks at most, and that's with proper washing techniques and gentle soap. I'd recommend looking into a ceramic coating if you're only waxing once a year.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 10:57 AM   #11
Wo-Wo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlonf1 View Post
Yeah.. paper towel..

Griots used to put out a container of Speed Shine wipes - I carry a couple in a zip-lock for emergencies. I don't see it on their site anymore..

Like Pheerix said, a wash and wax product and a few inexpensive (throw away) micro fiber clothes in your boot is important. Never use bath towels! The polyester will scratch your paint.
This!!

The lack of polyamide in a bath towel is what will cause the damage.
Appreciate 0