E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335i xdrive coupe - upgrade to m3 control arms

04-27-2015, 12:10 AM   #1
bivash
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i SE

335i xdrive coupe - upgrade to m3 control arms

Hi guys, looking for some answers here. I am looking at the following control arm from autopartsway.ca for my 2011 335xi coupe:

http://www.autopartsway.ca/partdetai...33-1779604/trw

The TRW part number they refer to is: TRW1779604. Is this the correct part number for the tension strut? Autopartsway.ca does not seem to have this part under 2011 bmw m3 but rather under a bmw x1... I can't seem to find this part number anywhere else. Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 07:18 AM   #2
cpie168
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 328i 6MT ZSP BSM

Link doesn't work.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 07:50 AM   #3
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Link does not work..

Key to note that the M3 front control arms may not work on Xdrive platform.
      04-27-2015, 10:06 AM   #4
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bivash View Post
Hi guys, looking for some answers here. I am looking at the following control arm from autopartsway.ca for my 2011 335xi coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post
...Key to note that the M3 front control arms may not work on Xdrive platform.
This. The xDrive front suspension is completely different than the RWD version, and nothing from the RWD (or M3) suspension fits (other than bushings - stiffer).
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...14&hg=31&fg=05
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...40&hg=31&fg=05
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 10:07 AM   #5
bivash
Private First Class
Rep

Let's try this again..

http://www.autopartsway.ca/partdetails.cfm?w0133-1779604/trw

Thanks for the input guys.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 10:09 AM   #6
bivash
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
This. The xDrive front suspension is completely different than the RWD version, and nothing from the RWD (or M3) suspension fits (other than bushings - stiffer).
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...14&hg=31&fg=05
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...40&hg=31&fg=05
Ah okay.. I see. So what have all the xdrive guys been doing out there when their front control arm bushings are shot? Just upgrading the bushings or replacing the entire control arm with stock or aftermarket?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 11:49 AM   #7
shushikiary
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

I've been waiting for a moment like this to tell you guys about xdrive bushings.

I replaced both the front control arms bushings in my xdrive for this same reason.

Originally I got ahold of strongflex and they sent me a set of rear bushings and a set of front bushings. But the front control arms bushings are different than they are on the non x-drive (everything here is in reference to the 2 front control arms, front is the front control arm closer to the front, rear is the front control arm closer to the rear). The rear control arm bushing worked great though, but you will NEED a press to get it in. I was having issues with pulling hard one way or the other under braking, completely solved the problem.

The front bushing they sent me though was for the non xdrive/xi and wouldnt fit. I emailed them back about this and they were kind enough to make me a custom bushing after I sent them some xi control arms. They work great as well!

Not sure they are going to go into production with those front control arm bushings or not, but you can sure email them.

Yep, I dont see the front control arm bushing listed on their site, but here is a link to the rear: http://www.strongflex.eu/en/e90-e91-...4x4-sport.html
BMS DCI, BMS OCC, VRSF stepped 5" FMIC, VRSF CP, VRSF DP's, SPEC stage 3+ and SMFW, PRW stage 3 LPFP, MHD custom E85 tune, solid motor mounts, RB PCV valve, SS brake lines, Prospeed RS683 brake fluid, Strongflex poly bushings, VTT inlets, M3 rear control arms, ECS trailing arms, turbo smart DV's, CP-E PI, VTT HS CP, UUC short shifter, custom solid transfer-case mount, RBTurbo vacuum side OCC, PRW upgraded ignition coils.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 12:20 PM   #8
bivash
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushikiary View Post
I've been waiting for a moment like this to tell you guys about xdrive bushings.

I replaced both the front control arms bushings in my xdrive for this same reason.

Originally I got ahold of strongflex and they sent me a set of rear bushings and a set of front bushings. But the front control arms bushings are different than they are on the non x-drive (everything here is in reference to the 2 front control arms, front is the front control arm closer to the front, rear is the front control arm closer to the rear). The rear control arm bushing worked great though, but you will NEED a press to get it in. I was having issues with pulling hard one way or the other under braking, completely solved the problem.

The front bushing they sent me though was for the non xdrive/xi and wouldnt fit. I emailed them back about this and they were kind enough to make me a custom bushing after I sent them some xi control arms. They work great as well!

Not sure they are going to go into production with those front control arm bushings or not, but you can sure email them.

Yep, I dont see the front control arm bushing listed on their site, but here is a link to the rear: http://www.strongflex.eu/en/e90-e91-...4x4-sport.html
Thanks for the input! I can't seem to find much information out there with respect to xdrive control arms.

What are your guys' thoughts on lemfoerdor? Autopartsway seems to carry direct replacements (bushings sold separately I believe) for both of the front control arms (front and rear). They indicate that it will fit an xdrive model as well.

http://www.autopartsway.ca/partlist.cfm?bmw/2011/335i-xdrive/base/3l-l6/allb/suspension/suspension,-springs-and-related-components/suspension-control-arm/pagenum1/tabs
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 07:53 PM   #9
bivash
Private First Class
Rep

Okay guys, I am somewhat confused here. I have decided that I am going to go ahead and replace just the control arm bushings on my 335xi. How many bushings to do I need to purchase so that all the control arm bushings are replaced?

I originally thought just 2, one per control arm (wishbone). But do the tension struts have the same bushings? So I'll need 4?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 04:05 AM   #10
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

For front there is one bushing that is sold separately, it is number 9 there.
I don't know if the bushing on 15 is replacable and sold separately or not, BMW doesn't.

Lemfomder for bushing number 9 is OEM. I recently replaced mine, it was same as the factory installed one. You need a press, or some special driver/receiver to replace these. But you can get the arm with the bushing. Ball joint is separate piece on that arm for XI as shown in the picture.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 07:11 AM   #11
gtaccord
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

Garage List
I would just replace both arms completely with oem/oe replacements and call it done.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 01:13 PM   #12
shushikiary
Private First Class
Rep

Part number 9 in said picture is the one I linked to from strongflex.

Part number 15 in said picture goes indeed have a bushing in the end (shown in picture) that IS replaceable, but no one sells a bushing to replace it. That is the part that strongflex made custom for me, so just to be clear, the mount on the sub frame side of part 15 in my car is now polyurethane thanks to the awesome support from strongflex.
BMS DCI, BMS OCC, VRSF stepped 5" FMIC, VRSF CP, VRSF DP's, SPEC stage 3+ and SMFW, PRW stage 3 LPFP, MHD custom E85 tune, solid motor mounts, RB PCV valve, SS brake lines, Prospeed RS683 brake fluid, Strongflex poly bushings, VTT inlets, M3 rear control arms, ECS trailing arms, turbo smart DV's, CP-E PI, VTT HS CP, UUC short shifter, custom solid transfer-case mount, RBTurbo vacuum side OCC, PRW upgraded ignition coils.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 09:22 AM   #13
Lowly328
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i xdrive

Quote:
Part number 9 in said picture is the one I linked to from strongflex.

Part number 15 in said picture goes indeed have a bushing in the end (shown in picture) that IS replaceable, but no one sells a bushing to replace it. That is the part that strongflex made custom for me, so just to be clear, the mount on the sub frame side of part 15 in my car is now polyurethane thanks to the awesome support from strongflex.
Is the ride stiffer with the sport bushing? Do they squeak? A lot of polyurethane bushings are noisy. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 12:10 PM   #14
shushikiary
Private First Class
Rep

If you grease them they wont hardly squeak. When I first installed them they did not, then in the winter when it was really cold around here (below 20 deg F) they would squeak sometimes but that has sense gone away and now they dont squeak at all.

The ride is more dependent on the shocks and struts, with the bushing you will feel in the steering wheel more response, so you'll feel the road more, but the ride its self is the same.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 08:01 AM   #15
Lowly328
Rep

Quote:
If you grease them they wont hardly squeak. When I first installed them they did not, then in the winter when it was really cold around here (below 20 deg F) they would squeak sometimes but that has sense gone away and now they dont squeak at all.

The ride is more dependent on the shocks and struts, with the bushing you will feel in the steering wheel more response, so you'll feel the road more, but the ride its self is the same.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 11:53 AM   #16
Lowly328
Rep

Quote:

I was asking mainly about the harshness over breaks in pavement, etc. I think the x drive cars are harsher over this stuff because of the way the tension strut is mounted. In non xdrive cars, the strut is mounted in front of the wheel and on x drive it's attached behind the wheel. Kinda like pushing or pulling a hand truck over an obstacle, pull it, up, over just fine. Push it, crash, broken teeth.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 03:31 PM   #17
shushikiary
Private First Class
Rep

I havent noticed it any worse than it was before. It sure fixed my braking pulling though, and reduced my bump steer.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 06:59 PM   #18
Raptor04
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

The bushing that can/should be upgraded is the bushing on the inner part of the tension strut. Rogue engineering has several options available for xi cars. Strongflex also has these bushings which is what I installed. The outer tension strut and front control arm use ball joints, which really don't need to be upgraded. I would just replace the entire control arm with oe part if the ball joints are worn and need to be replaced. The outer ball joint on the tension strut can be replaced with oe part without replacing the entire tension strut.
      05-14-2015, 06:50 AM   #19
Lowly328
Rep

I ordered the Strongflex bushings. I got the harder version, sport. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 09:56 AM   #20
Julian2485
Major
Rep
Drives: Black lci e90 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushikiary
I havent noticed it any worse than it was before. It sure fixed my braking pulling though, and reduced my bump steer.
Did the strongflex control arm bushings get rid of wheel hop ? Another guy on this forum said he had to cut his in half in order to install them did you do the same ?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 10:43 AM   #21
bigbootysuperduty
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi

Just for future reference, the large bushing arm is called the tension strut.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 04:05 PM   #22
shushikiary
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian2485 View Post
Did the strongflex control arm bushings get rid of wheel hop ? Another guy on this forum said he had to cut his in half in order to install them did you do the same ?
Sorry it took so long to reply to this, the notification bar on the web site doesnt work right, I need to check my subscribed threads anymore to actually know if someone posted in a thread I'm subscribed to... very annoying.

Anyways, it would have been very tempting to cut it in half, but I didnt have to..... I bought a 20 ton press. It was only 200 bucks from harbor freight as they had it on sale and I do enough work on other peoples cars I decided to get it to do the job. Really I needed it because I couldnt get the stock bushing out of the arm. I tried to use a bushing puller set and it just wouldnt budge.

The 20 press was.... cranky, but under a (literally) TON of force it finally pushed the stock bushings out and then I used it to push the strongflex bushings in place, and that worked just fine. The bushings deformed while under the press to fit through the arm and then gained their shape back after being pushed all the way through.

If you did somehow manage to get the stock bushing out without a press, it might be a little rough getting the bushing into place without a press, which would make it temping to cut it in half for sure.
Appreciate 0