ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-04-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
Evoking
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

To Lip or No Lip... That is the Question!

So the e46 M3 is generally considered to look better with deep lip wheels which is why the majority with aftermarket are deep (not to say that some don't prefer BBS CH or CSL reps). I personally prefer deep wheel on M3.

I'm about to pull the trigger on some wheels and for the life in me I can't seem to draw a definitive preference for the M Coupe... I think the main reason is a lack of pictures of either type on the car.

What do you think? Does the M Coupe/Z4 look better with a deep lip style wheel or a simple one piece with slight concave such as CSL reps?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
Black///Mamba
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a beast

every car looks better with a deep lip...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 02:59 PM   #3
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Cuz really... would you rather your girl have nice sexy luscious lips? or no lips?

Gimme lip!!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 03:10 PM   #4
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M

1 vote for NO lip.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 03:26 PM   #5
MMMazing07
More than you can afford pal....ferrari
Rep
Drives: Z4M

lips are straight up sexy. but im more of a track guy
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 03:26 PM   #6
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

I also dislike the deep dish wheel look. BBS LMs look OK...but I think the CSLs look the best on bimmers.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 03:41 PM   #7
schwank
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 z4 m coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black///M View Post
every car looks better with a deep lip...
+1

and keep the stocks for the track (if you do that sort of thing)
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 08:17 PM   #8
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Both look good. I like CSLs (obviously), but the wheels on Moupe's car (the black coupe with HREs you see posted everywhere) also looks good.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 11:29 PM   #9
OH FO SHO
Captain
Rep
Drives: z4

im on the same boat as you brotha

-*MY PICTURE THREAD*-
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2008, 12:28 PM   #10
Evoking
First Lieutenant
Rep

The real way to settle is to have a huge amount of pics of both. But for whatever reason our crowd is either boring and don't mod or are too cheap to spring for wheels???
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2008, 01:11 PM   #11
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoking View Post
The real way to settle is to have a huge amount of pics of both. But for whatever reason our crowd is either boring and don't mod or are too cheap to spring for wheels???
You don't write "for whatever reason" and then give the reasons; "whatever" reason means you don't know the specific reasons. Sorry, but that's up there with "supposably" on my peeve meter. Right after "intensive purposes."

It should be either "our crowd is too boring or cheap" or "for whatever reason our crowd doesn't have a lot of aftermarket wheel photos."

Aftermarket wheels are about show or go, and this forum trends more towards the latter. If you want to see $6000 chrome deep-dish wheels on a 318ti, there are plenty of forums for that.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2008, 01:20 PM   #12
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
I think your SIG with your NSX pic is boring!

You know what, this isn't even the first time you insult people here by calling them cheap. What gives?

Quote:
Guess the lack of response substantiates the question... Either nobody likes them on M Coupe, M Coupe owners are less likely to buy aftermarket wheels, can't afford them or all of the above.

Last edited by mPlasticDesign; 02-05-2008 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2008, 03:03 PM   #13
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
[SIZE="3"]

You know what, this isn't even the first time you insult people here by calling them cheap. What gives?
I'm guessing that gambit worked on his parents...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2008, 03:16 PM   #14
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
I'm guessing that gambit worked on his parents...
Maybe he just doesn't understand that wheels are a personal preference and a lot of people are happy with the stock wheels and don't feel the need to dish out money for after market ones.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2008, 09:32 PM   #15
Evoking
First Lieutenant
Rep

Guys, relax. Its a car board... All in fun. BTW, I do need to change my sig because I don't drive the NSX anymore.

Of course I understand not everybody likes aftermarket wheels. That is why I refer to an overall TREND with Z4 and Z4M owners rather than harping on a single owner that chose not to buy aftermarket wheels. I was being sarcastic about the cheap thing. I too am an owner so obviously not trying to insult us as a group...

Anyhew, I'm thinking it is a combination of lower volumes of cars out there (compared to 3 series and even M3) combined with a tendency FOR WHATEVER REASON of M Coupe owners not to mod.

As far as why we are less likely to mod I'm not sure. I was thinking about the "purist" thing as many of us are such. However, most M3 owners are purists too. They generally don't place form over function as most of the aftermarket wheels seen on M3's are lightweight and/or forged as well.

In the case of the Lotus Elise/Exige community there was a definite reason we didn't install aftermarket wheels: limited fitments and a single minded focus to keep the thing as light and simple as possible for track duty.

Strangely it would seem the M Couple would be more likely to be modded considering it is more of a pure toy than a spacious somewhat practical car as the M3 is. We all know aftermarket wheels are not practical. They're not neccessary and they cost a lot of money. Which is precisely why they are often either on impractical cars (toys) or ghetto rides. M Coupe fits in the toy section.

I've had tasteful quality aftermarket wheels on many of my toys...

Fikse and CCW forged wheels on NSX's
Kinesis Forged on Viper GTS and 944 Turbo
BBS RSII on 911
Volk forged on S2000
Loved the deep wheels on 00' M Coupe and Roadster so no aftermarkets

Some of those cars had a shortage of fitments. But I have always ove how many deep wheel options are available for most BMW's. Thought there would be a lot of aftermarket wheel Coupes... Not the case. Just makes one say Hhhhmmmmmm...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/291976

Last edited by Evoking; 02-05-2008 at 11:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2008, 10:30 PM   #16
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was being sarcastic about the cheap thing. I too am an owner so obviously not trying to insult us as a group...
Not try harder in the future.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 11:25 AM   #17
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Talking

Quote:
Guys, relax. Its a car board... All in fun. BTW, I do need to change my sig because I don't drive the NSX anymore....
I have had 2 ///M3's and am still on the M3forums. There is alot more activity(posts) there because there is a alot more M3's on the road than Mcoupes. I would also point out that there is actually quite a few guys here who have done alot of mods. I choose not to do too much modding on this car, just like my M3, because unless you go to forced induction you will see relitively little improvement in performance. I feel the car is perfectly tuned to balance everyday drivability with near track ready performance. Apology? accepted and lets see some pics of your cool rides, past and present.

PICS OR

ps. So have you done any of the mods you talked about on your car yet? Suspension etc.
      02-06-2008, 03:07 PM   #18
Evoking
First Lieutenant
Rep

Here's a few:

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 04:34 PM   #19
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Whao... you had a yellow and a red NSX! I pretty much like all of those cars minus the Jag. You go through cars like I do tennis shoes.
      02-06-2008, 06:17 PM   #20
Evoking
First Lieutenant
Rep

You'd be surprised about the Jag. Its an XJR so its supercharged with 370hp and similar torque. Was M5 and e55 competitor and pulls like no tomorrow 0-60 5.1 and 1/4 in 13.3 bone. In sport mode it would pull my M Coupe from a dig if M is driven 1 bit less than perfect and from a roll it could get very ugly!

Was sick of the typical upright sedans and wanted a sedan more rare, low and sexy yet with a nasty side.

Evo was one of the most fun I've had...

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 09:37 PM   #21
Zeddy4Me
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 09, AW E90 M3 6MT

I actually had the same dilemma until today... I have ordered the Hamman "Edition Race" matte black reps in 19. I will have them installed probably Friday... Also I got the H&R sport springs so it should look really good... I will post pics as soon as I can.

I was thinking the CSL's but wanted to DEEP DISH to complement the angle and the aggressive back of the coupe... Both are nice, I love dish though...
      02-07-2008, 02:52 AM   #22
OH FO SHO
Captain
Rep
Drives: z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeddy4Me View Post
I actually had the same dilemma until today... I have ordered the Hamman "Edition Race" matte black reps in 19. I will have them installed probably Friday... Also I got the H&R sport springs so it should look really good... I will post pics as soon as I can.

I was thinking the CSL's but wanted to DEEP DISH to complement the angle and the aggressive back of the coupe... Both are nice, I love dish though...
nice i was thinking about those rims too... but im iffy on the +35 offset (non M) can't wait for the pics

-*MY PICTURE THREAD*-
Appreciate 0