E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Please Help Me Fix My Piece Of Sh*t Lights

04-15-2015, 02:42 PM   #1
PaddyMcGrath
Rollin' Coal
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2006 320D M-Sport

Please Help Me Fix My Piece Of Sh*t Lights

Considering the amount of money I've spent, I really shouldn't have bothered "upgrading" from the stock halogens. Since I'm pretty much stuck with them, I might as well try and fix them without resorting to the use of fire. Here is my problem...

The headlights are Depo headlights which were modified by Lightwerkz to include upgraded lenses, bi-xenon projectors, painted chrome, Morimoto H1 XB35 bulbs and OE Toyota ballasts. So far, so good. We decided to retain the original LED Angel Eyes which came with the Depos (which are similar to the Umnitza V2) and everything worked fine for the first couple of weeks until I started to get some condensation issues. Around the same time, one of the Angel Eyes started to dim but would light to full intensity if I switched my low beams (xenons) on. I traced the issue to being a bent pin in the back of the headlamp unit which I straightened rebuilt the plug on the car's harness end and the problem went away for the last six to nine months.

Yesterday, the same Angel Eye dimmed again (I noticed by looking at the reflection in the rear bumper of a car in traffic). I flicked on my low beams but the xenon bulb flickered first, went pink / purple and then illuminated but the Angel Eye stayed dim, despite switching it on / off a couple of times (the flickering issue with the xenon didn't happen again) the Angel Eye stayed dim.

When I got to my destination, I checked all of the connections but everything was fine yet the AE stayed dim. I went away from the car for a while, came back and started the car, AE stayed dim. Turned on my lights and the xenon flickered again but the AE illuminated to full brightness. It would stay at full brightness even after turning the AEs on and off a couple of times. Drove home (about twenty minutes) with no issues and the AEs stayed at full brightness, even when using the 'Safe Home' lights after exiting the car.

Came out this morning, and the AE was dim. A couple of cycles of the xenons and it comes back again. Sometimes the AE stays illuminated, other times it goes dim. I can't seem to re-create the issue on demand.

As you can imagine, it's incredibly frustrating.

Where should I start looking?

TL;DR Angel Eye randomly dims, can't make it happen when I want. Also, xenon bulb behind same Angel Eye flickers on cold start up but not sure if related.

Thank you!
      04-15-2015, 02:56 PM   #2
mojobmw_e90
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63S

Sounds like the capacitor is going out.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2015, 03:09 PM   #3
PaddyMcGrath
Rollin' Coal
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojobmw_e90 View Post
Sounds like the capacitor is going out.
What does it look like, where is it and can I replace it?

Thanks for the reply, I know i'm being a bit harsh but this has become such a frustrating issue.
      04-15-2015, 03:28 PM   #4
mojobmw_e90
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63S

Like Jeremy Clarkson said, '' hammers usually fix everything''

Its a box behind the light. Controls the voltage coming in/out of the box.
Appreciate 2
      04-15-2015, 11:11 PM   #5
tturbolife
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
to test if it is the bulb or ballast, switch the bulb. if the light doesn't flicker on the other side, it is the ballast. I bet it got damaged from the water/condensation. The angel eye could be the capacitor or a grounding issue. Use a multimeter on the 12v source and a good ground to see if it is getting the correct amount of voltage. If so, try it with the ground wire going into the angel eye to compare.
      04-16-2015, 07:26 AM   #6
PaddyMcGrath
Rollin' Coal
Ireland
Rep

I've been trialling a couple of things today to see if I can figure out what's causing it. The dimming is occurring more often now and it's getting harder to get the AE to re-illuminate to full brightness. I think the condensation issues previously might finally have taken their toll on the light and it's looking like it's beyond my abilities to get it sorted.

My only idea is to remove the V2s and have new AEs installed (thinking V4s if I'm going to go through the bother of removing the lights)?
      04-16-2015, 07:57 AM   #7
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Everything can be fixed with a suitable application of high explosives As my uncle would say.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2015, 12:49 PM   #8
kisho
Quiet till poked
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Garage List
2006 325xi  [9.50]
Is there any rust or any kind of shit on the connectors that is prohibiting a clean connection?
Are there any wires that are frayed or being crushed in some way?
Are any wires loose from the connectors?
Is there any unusual noises coming from the lights?

BTW V4s are uber bright.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2015, 01:33 PM   #9
PaddyMcGrath
Rollin' Coal
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisho View Post
Is there any rust or any kind of shit on the connectors that is prohibiting a clean connection?
Are there any wires that are frayed or being crushed in some way?
Are any wires loose from the connectors?
Is there any unusual noises coming from the lights?

BTW V4s are uber bright.
I've been trouble shooting with Lightwerkz all day (who have been ace to their credit) but still haven't been able to pinpoint the issue.

I tried swapping the control boxes from the good light to the bad one, but still the same issue. I've put a constant 12V to the bad light and whilst the two rings light up, it doesn't really tell me anything because sometimes it lights up fine anyways, only to dim going down the road.

I'm going to try get in at the light over the weekend or next week when I have time, it's such a PITA to work on.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!
      04-16-2015, 04:19 PM   #10
kisho
Quiet till poked
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Garage List
2006 325xi  [9.50]
Then I have no idea. It just sounds like somewhere there is a semi-loose connection. It's either that or the ring itself is failing.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 09:43 PM   #11
tturbolife
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Usually LEDs don't really "dim" when they are going out... they just seem to die. I really think that it is a grounding or loose wiring problem. Try routing the wire to another/better ground.

And you say you switched the ballast to the good light and the original light still has an issue? in that case it is probably the bulb.
      04-19-2015, 06:58 AM   #12
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

+1 on wiring problem, sounds like a flakey connection, either a loose connection or something has corroded and is making poor contact - I would clean everything with contact cleaner, verify that all pins are connecting tightly and use di-electric grease when re-assembling to keep everything clean and moisture free.
Appreciate 0