E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Need help: I-drive (CCC) crashes/reboots

04-15-2015, 08:55 AM   #1
AdamN52
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (E90)

Exclamation Need help: I-drive (CCC) crashes/reboots

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some help/guidance in troubleshooting some issues with my electronics which I fear are becoming more frequent.

I have a 2007 328xi with DVD Nav (CCC) and Logic7.
My battery was replaced by a BMW dealer a year ago.

The issues:
  1. For the past year or two my sound doesn't work on winter mornings when it's REALLY cold (like -20C). Also, my front left speaker cuts out sometimes.
    My best guess after searching a bit is the the L7 amp has a bad connection on the board.
  2. Recently my I-drive crashes/reboots randomly. Started off like once every few months, now it seems to happen once or twice a week.
    Screen goes to the splash screen, sound stops working for a few seconds and it reboots.
    No idea how to fix this, or what is involved in replacing components. HELP!
  3. Sometimes my Nav doesn't recognize the DVD - It's a disc that I've burned.
    I tried making a new disc and it now happens less often... a few times it has held the DVD hostage and won't eject it.
    To me that sounds like a hardware issue, yeah?

My biggest concern is the I-drive issue... It seems the DVD drive is only about $150 on ebay, but I really don't know where to start for the I-drive.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by AdamN52; 04-15-2015 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 01:25 PM   #2
glachhman2
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Speaker issues sounds like amp, but I'd personally take this opportunity to upgrade to CIC.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 01:31 PM   #3
AdamN52
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glachhman2 View Post
Speaker issues sounds like amp, but I'd personally take this opportunity to upgrade to CIC.
What's the ballpark cost of that upgrade? Is it a DIY type thing?

Since it's an 8yr old car I'd have a hard time justifying spending much more than the repair costs to upgrade it, y'know?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 08:17 PM   #4
jezzy
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 E91 325xi Black Wagon

You have 2 different issues from what it seems. I'd start with a new CCC radio to replace yours.. about 200$-400$ for a CCC radio. if you wanted to go CIC, then it's easily a $1000-1500$ investment.

Then, after a new radio is installed, see if you still have audio problems. If so, your logic 7 amp is on it's last leg. I've seen them here used on these forums from 250-500$ (for a new one).

There are alternatives to using a logic 7 amp, involves a Technic Logic 7 harness and then allows you to add an aftermarket amp. (in all, probabably same as or more than the factory logic 7 amp) so all depends on your needs
2009 CIC Retrofit + Combox
6NR, 6NF, snap-in retrofit
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 09:08 PM   #5
AdamN52
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzy
You have 2 different issues from what it seems. I'd start with a new CCC radio to replace yours.. about 200$-400$ for a CCC radio. if you wanted to go CIC, then it's easily a $1000-1500$ investment.

Then, after a new radio is installed, see if you still have audio problems. If so, your logic 7 amp is on it's last leg. I've seen them here used on these forums from 250-500$ (for a new one).

There are alternatives to using a logic 7 amp, involves a Technic Logic 7 harness and then allows you to add an aftermarket amp. (in all, probabably same as or more than the factory logic 7 amp) so all depends on your needs
Hey thanks for the response - I've been researching a ton and playing around with the system since I posted this question initially.

I think my iDrive issue is related to the DVD drive failing. I just got my new laser in the mail, so I'm gonna repair the drive shortly and see if that helps.

I do agree the amp is probably fucked. One channel is pretty crackly when I send out test tones in INPA. I'll try swapping the speakers around and see if it follow the channel or the speaker.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 09:31 PM   #6
Spensaur
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 328i

Garage List
I got the same issue as you with #2 and #3... so sad how a nice option we paid for stops functioning well like that when our cars aren't even 10+ years old
2007 E93 328i | Space Gray Coral Red | M-Tech Front Bumper w/ Carbon Fiber Splitters | BMW Performance Rear Bumper | BMW Performance Exhaust w/ Secondary Cat Delete | Injen Intake | HID Angel Eyes | M3 Trunk Lip Spoiler

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 10:13 PM   #7
AdamN52
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spensaur
I got the same issue as you with #2 and #3... so sad how a nice option we paid for stops functioning well like that when our cars aren't even 10+ years old
Yeah, I hear ya. More features you have, more stuff there is to go wrong.

The DVD issue isn't too bad to fix it seems, but still a pain in the ass that it has to be fixed at all.
I've seen older DVD/cd players that still work, but I suppose they don't sit outside all winter. Lol

I read the DVD laser failing can cause the CCC to reset - all the devices are connected via optical network in a big loop. Apparently if a device isn't functioning well it can trigger the network to reboot in an attempt to fix it. Not sure if that's accurate, but I'm going to try the DVD repair first and report back.

In any case it's clear the DVD drive needs repair for starters.

Last edited by AdamN52; 04-29-2015 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 09:33 AM   #8
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamN52 View Post
Yeah, I hear ya. More features you have, more stuff there is to go wrong.

The DVD issue isn't too bad to fix it seems, but still a pain in the ass that it has to be fixed at all.
I've seen older DVD/cd players that still work, but I suppose they don't sit outside all winter. Lol

I read the DVD laser failing can cause the CCC to reset - all the devices are connected via optical network in a big loop. Apparently if a device isn't functioning well it can trigger the network to reboot in an attempt to fix it. Not sure if that's accurate, but I'm going to try the DVD repair first and report back.

In any case it's clear the DVD drive needs repair for starters.
Not sure if this will help, but I had a similar problem with a DVD that I burned. After about a year, it would periodically fail, overheat and be difficult to eject. And the audio system would also occasionally spew loud static which would last nearly 5 minutes after the ignition was shut down. Upon getting the dealer estimate for repair, I simply inserted the OEM disk and all has been right again for nearly 2 years.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 11:37 AM   #9
AdamN52
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Not sure if this will help, but I had a similar problem with a DVD that I burned. After about a year, it would periodically fail, overheat and be difficult to eject. And the audio system would also occasionally spew loud static which would last nearly 5 minutes after the ignition was shut down. Upon getting the dealer estimate for repair, I simply inserted the OEM disk and all has been right again for nearly 2 years.

Tom
Thanks for the reply

That's interesting - strange that it would cause static like that.

I've tried re-burning the disc, and I found I had more errors when I burned at full speed. I'm not sure that I still have my old OE disc around or not.

I have my new laser now (not installed yet), but the nav and stereo have been working fine for like 2 weeks. I've been waiting to see it act up again before I replace it. Coincidentally it's been very warm here for about 2wks as well, so I wonder if it's related.
Appreciate 0