E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 320si intermittent starting problem Part 3 - The saga continues

02-01-2008, 03:44 PM   #1
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport MY20

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
320si intermittent starting problem Part 3 - The saga continues

Took my car into the stealers today for its oil service.

As most of you know i've had problems on and off with intermittent idling and rough starting. I'd told the stealer to look into the problem again.

After the service assistant took my key and placed it into the reader he mysteriously went away to talk to technician and then the service manager with other colleagues.

As I could see what was going on (behind a office screen) I thought it was a bit odd. Anyway the chap came back and said I needed another service in addition to the oil service! I asked him what other service. He then printed out the CBS infomation and it showed a valve clearance service was overdue.

No one at the stealer's had seen such a service so he checked to see if it was really needed. Apparently they have 2 or 3 320si customers but they have a lot lower mileage than mine.

Got told that they needed the car for the full day instead of just the morning.
Apart from scuppering my plans for the day I let them go ahead and do it. I did however why the manual or the OBC not mention the service in question. Got told that he would look into it.

Got a call from the stealer this evening informing me that work had been done and that they would try a cold start in the morning to see if all was well.

Also got told that they found 4 inlet valves had very tight clearance and had to be adjusted. And that there is a new software version for the 320si to be released very shortly. The valve clearance service needs to be done every 2nd oil service.

First of all why on earth don't BMW tell you about the service. I did think it was odd that the valves aren't checked shortly after car delivery and with regular intervals like some other cars I have seen with this technology (maybe Tony can explain)

If you have a 320si be aware to expect your alternative oil service's will be costly as the car needs to be in all day at the stealers!

I'm due to pick up the car tomorrow and will report if it makes any change or not.
Attached Images

Long gone -15 Peugeot 308 2.0HDi GT AUTO Magnetic Blue, 10 BMW F10 520D SE Xirallic Imperial blue/Cinnamon Brown, 06 E90 320si - Le Mans Blue - Totally standard specification (Scrapped RIP 12/08/2010), 00 Peugeot 306 2.0 SE Cabriolet, 94 Rover 214 SEi, 91 Fiat Uno 60S Mk2
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 10:48 PM   #2
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Well, I don't know the exact answer as to why they need to do a service on the valve clearance, but this might be the reason why...

The 320si uses a standard overhead cam/valve arrangement, whereby the camshaft acts on a tappet to open each valve, and the valve is then closed under spring pressure. Therefore I would imagine that the spring pressures weaken over time and therefore the valves would need servicing to ensure they seat and open properly.

On the other BMW engines (with exception of the 1.6 I believe) they use the Valvetronic system, where instead of the inlet valve being opened directly by the camshaft and closed under spring pressure, the movement is controlled by an extra set of rocker arms (known as intermediate arms) which are positioned between the valve stem and the camshaft. Because the intermediate arms are allowed to pivot on a central point, and are controlled electronically by their own unique secondary camshaft, they have the ability to directly open and close the valve (between 0mm and 10mm) and not only that, have the ability to open and close them to any degree in between.

I think that the use of the Valvetronic system precludes any of such-equipped engines to a 'valve clearance' service, as theoretically the moving parts won't change tolerances or position, unlike conventionally operated spring-pressure valves. Given that the majority of mass-market BMW engines use Valvetronic, I'm not suprised your dealer 'forgot' about this service item on the 320si.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 11:51 AM   #3
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
Thanks for the explanation Tony.

The dealer mentioned that the "shims" (about £2 each!) were changed on the "tight" clearance valves found.

For the purpose of other 320si owners I also enquired on the cost of this
additional service. As I don't pay (Lease Co Manager hopefully isn't reading this!) I don't really care.

The price is just over two hours labour £200 on top of £190 for an oil service.
So beware of the big bill if you haven't had your second oil service!

I will have to see what happens over the coming weeks to see what improvement if any it makes.

I have also been told that a new software update for the Si is imminent. My next service (air filter) is in 3.8k miles so hopefully i'll get that s/w update then. The strange thing is that the air filter service was showing 4.2k miles before service and now it shows 3.8k miles!
Long gone -15 Peugeot 308 2.0HDi GT AUTO Magnetic Blue, 10 BMW F10 520D SE Xirallic Imperial blue/Cinnamon Brown, 06 E90 320si - Le Mans Blue - Totally standard specification (Scrapped RIP 12/08/2010), 00 Peugeot 306 2.0 SE Cabriolet, 94 Rover 214 SEi, 91 Fiat Uno 60S Mk2
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 01:07 PM   #4
DaveC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330 Touring

Well this doesn't make sense at all - for a number of reasons.

Firstly valve clearances dont 'go' tight, they get looser.

Secondly I'd be surprised if engines are not manufactured with a standard set of shims for all cylinders (with todays manufacturing tolerances this is more than reasonable).

Thirdly can't see BMW releasing a fleet car that needs an entire day in the shop for valve clearances every other oil change - that would be madness.

Seems likely to me that in investigating the 320 problems they have noticed manufacturing problems leading to bad clearances and they are quietly cleaning it up without telling anyone.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 01:14 PM   #5
BigBanana
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Beemer F30 335D

So you have to take the car in again, in less than 4000miles?

That's ridiculous!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 05:55 PM   #6
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
DaveC

My knowledge on this area is a bit sketchy. The car happens to be a car that sneaked onto the car scheme. It fell under the radar as a standard 320i

But as I am now finding out it lots of maintainance.

The engine is partially hand built at Hams Hall (where most 4cyl BMW group engines are built). I did expect the engine to be more robust because it's engineered by German's (I've had Italian and French cars! - no offence to French or Italians).

What did occur in my mind though was that how come the stealer had some shims for my engine in stock?!

Or maybe they are shared with other BMW group engines? Does anyone know?

BigBanana yep I do have to take it in again for an air filter. I've been in the garage now seven times over the life of the car - I've had it since Sept 06. I always thought CBS was a good thing but not sure now
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 10:05 AM   #7
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
Looks like the fault is still there - Over the weekend it reared its uglyhead

Thought i'd contact BMW UK via their UK customer service hotline to see what's going on this morning.

The chap on the other end checked the details on my car and was quite helpful.

Just got a call back from them to say that the new software is being tested and will be expected mid March to fix this issue.

Hopefully it'll coincide with air filter service.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 05:47 AM   #8
+49
Rep
Drives: 1999 318IS M-Pack

Hi there im new to the forums as it seems my search for a forum with a few 320si owners has ended

Im really sorry to hear all the problems youve been having , I myself have been looking into seriously purchasing a 320si when I return from cyprus but due to the really bad MPG fıgures and even worse the relibilty issues its really put my off .

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...rs/Experience?

as you can see ive been searching for some answers on pistonheads and they pointed me in the direction of e90post (im surprised theres allready such a big following online)

Most have my questions have been answered by searching and see the owners problems etc :

Engine actually further back
Diff gearbox ratios
Brakes
etc etc (anything else majour i dıdnt see)

Only thing i donit quite understand is wat exactly is going wrong with the cars? has it all been sorted long ago and ive missed the thread describıng it all ? as if i did purchase one it would be long term and i would no way be able to bare the costs out of warranty as i am looking to keep the car 5-10 years

Any updates then guys?i see one person has allready given up and gone for a boxster
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 06:09 AM   #9
andy69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90-320d

Hi +49 and welcome to the Forum mate

Any reason why you want a petrol ? If you can, have a drive in a diesel 320D is a great engine, but admittedly tractor like when not on the move

You will get more MPG as well as better residuals especially in today's ever changing eco war

cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 10:24 AM   #10
+49
Rep

I drive a bike 40% of the time and in the summer (very short here in the uk ) i ride everyday for instance my cars been sorn of the road for 2 months (no road tax)

So my car is mostly somthing i clean every day and drive on occasion, for me part of the enjoyment is maintaining modding and improving , i am single male with no kids and as i said i do 2000-3000miles a year somtimes i do less so a deisel really is pointless and also the reason i am looking somthing thats atleast fairly collectable and wont loose its money beyond a certain point and more so i like the idea of havin somthing rare and mostly special sure here in the uk u can get e46 m3 for 17k a VERY nice example 2003 40k clock speced up etc etc

i am looking to keep it for 5-10 years keep an e46 that long in uk its gonna go down until its actually worth nothing plus ive seen loadsa dummy driven round e46 m3s now , 2 of my mates have them and dont even know wat exact bhp is ... them kinda ppl where i am from have started to own them and it puts me way off lol
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 10:46 AM   #11
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Alpina D3 might be a good bet, limited edition to.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 02:58 PM   #12
+49
Rep

Are people not hearing me ? lol

Have i upset some people with my facts and figures wen it comes to how much u save with say a 320d?

Guys i do 2000-3000 miles a year and wish for my car to be my pride and joy i dont want a 5k reline on my pride and joy my bike averages 45mpg and i abuse it lol if i try i get 50-55 mpg as i said i drive that most of the time

Does any1 know if ShereKhan or any of the others have sorted there engine problems i dont understand how a car with so many modifcations using more durable parts and with only a 23hp increase (which is proberly the least u could get from that amount of modifcations to an engine) can be so unrelible , if anything it should be more relible as its over engineered

im dieing i really want one but this has put me straight off , should i just bite the bullet and get a e46 m3 like the rest of the herd ?just incase you didnt read it

if a TDI (pd 130) manages 45mpg average thats around 10ltrs over 100mýles and at 1.33 thats 13p a mile?(i think)

if i can get an average of just under 29mpg in a 320si thats around 15.5 over 100 miles (which should be fairly easy tbh) at 1.18 that works out to 18p a mile...

now i do around 2000 miles a year (reason why i dont allready own a 535d sport as i love them)

so the 320si would be around 350-370 pounds to run over 2000 miles

the passat will be around 250-270 pounds to run over 2000 miles

wow i allways knew ppl went OTT on how much money you actualy save with a modern tdi in the UK (unless you do intergalactic miles ) but wow 100 pounds a year saving? plus we have not taken into acount that a 320si is considerbly faster standard than a 130pd as my 318is can beat it even on a 50mph onwards race (of course the IS being at optimal revs) you cant beat the passat in 5th gear roll on tho , anyhow out and out its slower

now of course if i was doing 20k a year i would be saving 1000pounds plus road tax is around 100 pounds a year cheaper so ur looking 1100 a year plus really ur gonna remap the tdi and get around the same economy (some say more just lets just say the same)so it is good but id MUCH rather have a high reving N/A engine over a tdi etc for out and out fun even tho i cant reommeond modern tdi engines more wen friends and family ask me wat car to get

but if you do fairly low miles like me there not worth it (we are also forgetting an equivalent tdi car is has stronger residual values than a petrol so ppl who buy 2nd like me and you are gonna be paying more for them first place)

some1 mentioned a pd130 on pistonheads so i though id use that as an example ( actualy have one in our household and i cant recommend it higher)
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 03:29 PM   #13
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Its not just the 320si that has had problems, the 320i and 318i have had major problems as well. I don't think BMW have found the problem judging by how they have tried to fix each individual car.

Comparing a PD130 to a 320d is like chalk and cheese, try one and you will see.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 03:51 PM   #14
+49
Rep

ive driven a e46 330d yeah its fast and for everyday drivning u cant beat it effortless power

also driven a 56plate a4 s line that had the 170bhp tdi that audi do ? that i was actualy impressed and it had some enthusiasm to actually reach its redline unlike most ive driven or been in

i was using the pd130 as pure running costs as i know exactly wat it does as i drive one all the time

if i had used say a 320d which gets sligthly less mpg the cost would be wat 70-80 saving on fuel every 2k ? so if diesel was the same price and econmy as a pertol car ud still buy one?

read my hole thread on pistonheads. as i said members of my family that do 8-12 a year like most ppl i recommend to them a tdi in watever form there looking for no word of a lie my aunt just purchased a golf mk5 tdi gt with the 140bhp engine as i recommend and she couldnt be more happy ive been in cpyrus for 2 weeks so havnnt actualy seen it yet but will give it a proper test drive wen i get back

ud honestly get a tdi based engine if u did 2 k a year? it would proberly work out more expensive as half decent e90 320d sports are 20k odd lol, if u do atleast 6k a year and want a effortlessly fast progressive car by all means but i dont plus tdi lumps are more heavy and ruin the handling a little but forget that bout that
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 04:04 PM   #15
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShereKhan View Post
Got told that they needed the car for the full day instead of just the morning.
Apart from scuppering my plans for the day I let them go ahead and do it. I did however why the manual or the OBC not mention the service in question. Got told that he would look into it.
Just thought I would quickly mention it, but if you can only adjust the valves and get a true reading when cold.

BMW measurements for clearance are for cold only, the dealer is meant to leave your car off over night and then do them in the morning, if done when hot they would probably read tight, be adjusted accordingly and then the gaps made too wide.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 03:55 PM   #16
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
+49

Must have missed your post - just come back from holiday.

I also prefer petrol like yourself too. With the mileage I do diesel would make more sense - but as a lot of mileage is business its paid for. As you've said the car is a "special car" every one who takes a ride in her asks what cc is it. And they always sound suprised when I tell them 2.0

The engine has been replaced in mine as it was found to have a piston/valve problem. So far it seems to have gone away. I have a slight revving effect when it starts but its so infrequent that I dont care. The original annoying stalling has now gone so i'm happy.

- MPG
I keep a record of all my mileage and petrol expenditure.
I get 28 mpg average (thats calculated over 50k miles). The official mixed figure is 27.7 mpg. I have managed to get 34 when I drive at 65mph using cruise. With the mileage I do I have also driven at various speeds and roads.

What I like about it
-The 320si sounds great when pushed which I do a lot!
- It handles great, the engine pushed back really helps its handling
My boss had a ride and he has a normal e90 and noticed how well it handled.

- At 110mph+ it really sounds awesome At 80mph it sounds normal unless you are doing 80 in fourth gear then it gives the sound you get 110mph+

I do lots of miles but I think this car should never have been available to high mileage drivers like me. I think the parts used are a high quality and I think there is potential to modify further which I have seen on some Japanese forums. If I had paid for it myself I would look to see if its possible to add a supercharger or turbocharger to it

You might find the oil service expensive to stomach as every 2nd one needs valve clearances done circa £500 so not cheap but with your mileage that would be every four years!

What I hate about it
- Needs a service every 3 mths which annoyingly sometimes take the whole day.
- The alloys are no longer unique (the editions now have them)

The question you are problem asking/thinking
- Would I get one again?
Yes, damn right

However i'd spec it different

Alpine White
Coral red leather
iDrive
Xenon
Folding rear seats

That would make it really stand out and be unique

Gizze
For the record the stealer did let the car cool down and adjust the valve clearance. Which is why I was left with no car.
Appreciate 0